Thread: Computer Specs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Computer Specs

My setup (i5 750 @ 3.8GHz, 4GB DDR3 1600, Radeon 5770) pushes 1920x1080 easily. The 5770 won't hold you back at that resolution.

I have no experience when it comes to overclocking so how difficult would it be to overclock the i5 750 with the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard and Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan? I plan on customizing this build from cyberpower so I'm welcoming any suggestions on the cooling fan.

So far, this is the system I am planning on:
    Case: Apex Vortex 3620 Mid-Tower
    CPU: Core i5-750
    Motherboard: GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3
    Memory: 4GB DDR3/1600 MHz
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    PSU: Corsair 650 Watts
    Hard Drive: 1TB
    I also plan on using this ASUS for dual monitors.

15+ Year Old Account

If you have no experience with overclocking, it really only takes some knowledge of the CPU (understanding base clock, multiplier, and different voltages like VTT/QPI and vCore) and some research. It also depends how far you want to overclock it. The i5 750 should clock up to 3.0-3.2GHz with no voltage changes. If you want to go above that, you'll pretty much need to start bumping voltages up a bit.

If you're getting a pre-built system, a lot of places will offer an overclock for you. If you're not comfortable with the idea of overclocking after doing some research, see if they will factory overclock it for you.

As far as cooling goes, there are plenty of good air coolers. You really only need a water cooling system if you're looking at extreme overclocking (4GHz+ on the i5 750). However, the liquid cooling system you've listed is one of the self-contained units that needs almost no maintenance. So if you really wanted the water cooling, that's probably the best one to get.

If you plan on overclocking I wouldn't suggest liquid cooling because it's a lot of upkeep.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029 / http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-038-_-Product is what I have and has worked great.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Melarix
    If you plan on overclocking I wouldn't suggest liquid cooling because it's a lot of upkeep.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029 / http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-038-_-Product is what I have and has worked great.
    The water cooler he mentioned is a self-contained unit that will require little to no upkeep. I agree, though, that it's not 100% necessary unless doing heavy overclocking. I also have the Dark Knight and would recommend it to anyone.

So if I were to use the i7-750 with a 20% overclock (I got 20% from an option to factory overclock from cyberpower), the Radeon 5770, and 4GB of RAM, I should be able to use this ASUS to dual monitor? I only mention that I want to dual monitor because I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

As far as the CPU cooler goes, I'll probably go with the previously mentioned Dark Knight.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Man
    So if I were to use the i7-750 with a 20% overclock (I got 20% from an option to factory overclock from cyberpower), the Radeon 5770, and 4GB of RAM, I should be able to use this ASUS to dual monitor? I only mention that I want to dual monitor because I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

As far as the CPU cooler goes, I'll probably go with the previously mentioned Dark Knight.
    The dual monitor setup isn't too stressful on the computer, actually. It's more a matter of what you put on the second monitor that will stress the system. That said, the i5 750 with a 20% overclock (~3.2GHz) with a 5770 and 4GB RAM should run a dual monitor setup flawlessly.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, would the dual monitors at 1920x1080 still handle it as long as I use the second monitor for programs such browsers or music players? None said I might be pushing it at that resolution and I just wanted to be sure.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't believe it'd be a huge issue, though I could be wrong. In WoW, I tend to see around 60% usage on my 5770. That would leave 40% available for a 1920x1080 desktop that takes 2% (at most) GPU usage. I understand that's not exactly how GPU usage works, but it's a decent enough example that the card has power left over after running WoW at 1920x1080, 8x multisample, Ultra graphics (except shadows at about half).

I see. Well I think I'm set on the system I'm going to buy along with all the accessories to go with it. It should be about 2 months until I will be able to get everything but when I do I'll be sure to post pictures. Thanks to everyone for all the help, a special thanks to Cilraaz.

15+ Year Old Account

Definitely post the pics! And let us know how the performance is.

By the way, I can't say I'm a hockey guy but I am into sports and I just overhead Barry Melrose say on ESPNEWS that the Devils are knocking off the Flyers in the first round. Anything to say about that?

15+ Year Old Account

It will probably happen. Pennsylvania sports teams are full of choke artists.