Thread: Shadow Orbs

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Shadow Orbs

    I'm excited about these. What I'd like to see is not have rampup with these. Have them from the start of the fight, since rampup is already such a problem with dots. We can then use them as our dps cooldown. I'd also like the orbs to regenerate, whether by a static time increment, or maybe being affected by haste? I have high hopes for these orbs!

  2. #2

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Birds
    I'm excited about these. What I'd like to see is not have rampup with these. Have them from the start of the fight, since rampup is already such a problem with dots. We can then use them as our dps cooldown. I'd also like the orbs to regenerate, whether by a static time increment, or maybe being affected by haste? I have high hopes for these orbs!
    You are no warlock.
    In the Groves of Death

  3. #3

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Insomnium
    You are no warlock.
    Shadow Orbs: Casting spells grants a chance for Shadow Orbs to be created that fly around you and increase your shadow damage. This will help lower-level characters feel more like "Shadow priests" before they obtain Shadowform.
    123

  4. #4

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    I guess having the orbs at the beginning would be too much like the new soul shard mechanic. I could live with the rampup, as long as we can use them for awesome dps cooldowns.

  5. #5

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Birds
    I guess having the orbs at the beginning would be too much like the new soul shard mechanic. I could live with the rampup, as long as we can use them for awesome dps cooldowns.
    I don't know, I see them possibly being similar to the stacks from Reign of the Dead/Unliving. If, say, they stack 3 times, they don't go away until used. So we could essentially just save up three on the trash. Would be nice to have a cooldown or two to pop at the start of each fight.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans iLive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    I understand it as a buff stacking DPS increase. Not something you can consume or anything CD related. The orbs flying around is probably just to make it cool, but it's actually just a passive bonus.

  7. #7

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    I don't know, I see them possibly being similar to the stacks from Reign of the Dead/Unliving. If, say, they stack 3 times, they don't go away until used. So we could essentially just save up three on the trash. Would be nice to have a cooldown or two to pop at the start of each fight.
    That's a good point actually. If they persist outside of combat, we could save them up. That would be awesome. I hope they look badass. I also hope Blizz implements something that makes the orbs explode whenever I get stunned by a rogue, and deals 1000000 aoe dmg. I hate rogues.

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Darkjounin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    515

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Will probably be looking exactly the same as the troll-only one did.
    Hoiy kille ignata skee!

  9. #9

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    I understand it as a buff stacking DPS increase. Not something you can consume or anything CD related. The orbs flying around is probably just to make it cool, but it's actually just a passive bonus.
    So far, it's only a stacking DPS increase. But they also said this:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Since the Shadow tree has a lot of passive damage-boosting abilities -- something we're trying to avoid in Cataclysm -- we will need to replace several of the tree's talents. One idea is to play off of the new Shadow Orbs mechanic (see Mastery section below), possibly allowing you to consume an orb to increase damage from Mind Blast or reduce Mind Spike's cast time.

  10. #10

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    I don't know, I see them possibly being similar to the stacks from Reign of the Dead/Unliving. If, say, they stack 3 times, they don't go away until used. So we could essentially just save up three on the trash. Would be nice to have a cooldown or two to pop at the start of each fight.
    This was my first thought as well. Have them built up on the priest and not reset on combat. They would generate and regenerate in combat so we wouldn't be penalized for not having them at the start and they'd regenerate after a time when we did use one or more, but it would be possible to carry them over from combat to combat and not have yet another Shadow Weaving to stack up before we can do anything cool.

  11. #11

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    I am guessing its something similar to the Trinkets that drops of Sartharion (with shadow orb graphics flying around you). Those trinkets have 100% though to boost your AP/Spirit when you attack/cast a spell and stacks to 20 and stay at 20 until you stop attacking or casting spells so the duration runs out.

    So the question is, how long is the duration? And since it doesn't have 100% to give you a shadow orb, does it have a chance to disappear during combat?

  12. #12

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    i suppose that if theyll be consumed, then it will be random effect, like Shaman's Static Shock
    My RP Character №1 - Trillium Starwind - Night Elf Druid/Warrior
    My RP Character №2 - in progress, creating

  13. #13

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Total and complete guesswork incoming:

    I would guess there is a limit to how many you can stack, maybe 3 or 5.
    They might have a 100% proc chance when you cast a Shadow spell but an internal cooldown to prevent you getting them too soon.
    We will likely be getting a new talent that lets us "consume" an orb, since so far there has been no mention of how you use them. Blizzard mentioned them affecting different spells differently, such as reducing cast time on Mind Spike or increase crit chance on Mind Flay. I am guessing a talent because a trainer skill that only works with one mastery would be a bit weird.
    I hope they look like Shadowguard
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

  14. #14

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Birds
    That's a good point actually. If they persist outside of combat, we could save them up. That would be awesome. I hope they look badass. I also hope Blizz implements something that makes the orbs explode whenever I get stunned by a rogue, and deals 1000000 aoe dmg. I hate rogues.
    They will most like just look like Shadowguard, the old troll priest racial.

  15. #15

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon

    I hope they look like Shadowguard
    Then I wouldn't need to reroll shaman to look like one ;D

    One thing though, I know they are orbs, but wouldn't it be cool to have tiny bats flying around you? It would fit the vampire theme utilized in many of shadow priest's spells...I just really like the Ateish effect.

  16. #16

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    I posted this in the "Shadow Priest in Cataclysm" thread i tink i should repost it here ;D


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I believe Shadow Orbs will work much like Soul Shards will in Warlocks, except you will gain them trough spells, crit or chance on hit, you will probably have one skill called "Redeem Shadow Orb" or something to use them to increase power in your spells in some way other than just +% damage, from what i understood they will fly around you, probably like the shaman shields but permanent, smaller and less annoying I hope.

    This is from the enchant Black Magic, i seriously hope the Shadow Orb design is something like this =D
    [img width=170 height=150]http://static.wowhead.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/156262.jpg[/img]
    Link from WoWhead
    Quote Originally Posted by rad586
    OH NOES !!!!! CASUALS GOT ALMOST THE SAME GEAR AS ME !!!!!! MY GEAR DOESN'T INCREASE THE SIZE OF MY PENIS ANYMORE !!!!! QQQQQQ

  17. #17

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Here's a link to the spell effect for the old Shadowguard when they updated the effect on it so it no longer looked like Lightning Shield.

    http://www.wowhead.com/item=13143#.

    The /use effect from that ring uses the same graphic.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

  18. #18

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    What I think it's a management game where you need to have the best output (in terms of utility or dmg pvp/pve wise) by managing abilities that require shadow orb consumation.

  19. #19

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Here's a link to the spell effect for the old Shadowguard when they updated the effect on it so it no longer looked like Lightning Shield.

    http://www.wowhead.com/item=13143#.

    The /use effect from that ring uses the same graphic.
    That willll look sexy in shadowform...

  20. #20

    Re: Shadow Orbs

    I think it would be interesting if the acted like a combo-point system.. you could let them accumulate and hold onto them for a sustained damage buff, or release them with a finisher when you need a big burst spell.. maybe have a couple finishers for different purposes.

    Or simply have them stack with MF ticks then when you use MB or the new spike spell it would comsume them.

    Mind blast would give you a 10 second crit buff, then the spike could give you a 10 second haste buff. I dunno just kinda seems like an interesting mechanic, it would also push us further away from being a psuedo-warlock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •