Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resto - Too much mana

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rd&cn=Dolorous

I shall attempt to abuse your expertise seeing as I logged out in my resto offspec and gear.

I haven't done a huge amount of healing but I am struggling to get anywhere close to needing to use my innervate on myself, I was healing a ToC 25 a week or so ago there was too many healer's so all I seemed to do was overheal up until faction champions then my numbers went crazy, apart from the paladin main healer I had the highest effective healing and 2nd lowest over healing on twins and anub. I know that healing meters mean little I am just trying to illustrate that I am doing some throughput. At the end of these fights I still have around 80% mana left.

I compared my numbers with the other Druids in the raid I Rejuv a lot more, I Regrowth a lot less, I nourish about the same and I wildgrowth about the same. I feel like I am doing something wrong, if I can finish with so much mana it kind of feels to me like I have somehow slacked and not done enough.

Raid healing I tend to do mainly rejuvs and wildgrowths if the tanks look spikey I will through a regrowth on them and nourish swiftmend when necessary. Could I get some pointers please.

Please feel free to critic my talents, gems and enchants, gear is a little harder to come across due to this being my offspec, I do however have the Bracers of Sceptic Shock that I need to enchant and gem.

Re: Resto - Too much mana

Toc won't really test any healers mana pool much at all, the fights are all pretty easy and not healing intensive. Once you start getting into icc and especially hardmodes you'll find yourself wanting to innervate when you're down ~7-10k mana so you can have it available again later in the fight. Toc is just easy to heal

I'd everything looks fine.

Do not use ToC 25 as a benchmark, it is way too easy nowadays and can be healed by three healers (two if they are good). Fight lengths are too short, incoming damage is too low etc.

In ICC-25 it will be a bit different, especially when you get rid of 4pT9 and shift most of your crit to haste, reducing the GCD to 1s again. However, generally well-geared resto druids seldomly have mana problems except on very healing-heavy fights. So, nothing to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account

Once you get haste capped, which will come with gear, you will be using a lot more mana.

Right now when you have a long GCD on rejuv you can only put them out so fast, esp in 25 mans. Once you are capped you will be able to get more out faster which will use your mana up a lot.

And like said, ToC is a really bad place to compare since you can do it with only a few healers and you said you had too many. Regrowth is not a good spell...it should only be used on the tanks so no, you aren't doing anything wrong.

What your doing is fine, you'll see a bigger difference in harder content.

You mean you /want/ to run out of mana? That's something I try NOT to do. If anything, you should strive to keep as much mana as possible in your bar at all times. Unless you're in a 10-man, save Innervate for one of the 6 other healers in the group. As druids we generally have ridiculous mana regen anyway, on top of being able to restore that mana through talents. Innervate is a spell best used on another class.

Your haste is low, you have regen enchants on your head and shoulders, you could use a throughput trinket in place of your regen one, your feet have a spirit enchant instead of runspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiawase
    You mean you /want/ to run out of mana? That's something I try NOT to do. If anything, you should strive to keep as much mana as possible in your bar at all times. Unless you're in a 10-man, save Innervate for one of the 6 other healers in the group. As druids we generally have ridiculous mana regen anyway, on top of being able to restore that mana through talents. Innervate is a spell best used on another class.
    In ICC, if you're not using Innervate on yourself then you're not maximising your output. That either means you're not casting as much as you should (possibly from low haste) or you've geared too much towards regen.

Good resto druids doing everything they can will need their Innervate.

To the OP, as others have mentioned you need more haste and ToC is too easy now to be a good benchmark for healer regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

.. now I feel like I'm a fail healer. ._.

I haven't geared regen at all except fpr the spirit that comes on my gear. I run a rejuv on myself for constant Revitalize...

So me trying to make sure I have my Innervate for another healer ISN'T a good thing?

From a statistical point of view unless you have something like 40 or 50k mana running rejuv on yourself just for revitalize is a bad idea as the cast itself will cost more than what you will get back from it on average.

I find when running with the minimum number of healers (in my case as a 10 man raider we usually try for 2 only bringing in 3 for the tougher fights such as BQL and Festergut which we are debating now with the 10% buff) I end up needing my own innervates if the fights run long enough.

Generally you should expect to need it if you are using every GCD, but only if the fight runs long enough. Regen through spirit can extend a 24k mana pool to last most fights without specifically gearing towards regen.

I /never/ gear for straight regen. The only thing I have that does have regen is my ashen verdict ring. >_>

I generally have no mana problems. I haven't seen many with running rejuv anyway..

Reading the forums just makes me feel like I suck, dear god. x_x;

15+ Year Old Account

.. now I feel like I'm a fail healer. ._.
    as long as your desired targets to heal stay alive you're nowhere near of being a fail healer.
    if you're feeling that you have too much mana, you're maybe doing content which you're overgeared for. try something harder.

it's a "problem" that switches from one side to another all the time ...
    first you are in blueish gear and doing naxx - woah shit is naxx hard.
    after a while you get gear and naxx is going to be boring. then - HURRAY - Ulduar ships in. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez is that hard.
    well after a while you get gear from ulduar and it's going to be boring as well.
    then ToC - no trash but wtf the bosses hit hard and it's so fucking much raid damage...
    well, after a while, you also get gear in here and it's getting lame and lame and ... lame.

It seems that you hit just that part of wotlk - but hey, ICC is long enough out, so go do it. You'll find your challenge here, I'm sure.

oh and just as a pro tip... if you're topping healing meters on anub, you're doing it wrong. ^_^

... but I am in ICC. >_>

... I don't feel any better about myself. ._.

.. I used to think I was a decent healer. Apparently there is a lot I don't understand. How can topping a metter be a bad thing? All of the healers are usually in close range with each other.

I don't get it. ._. I admit I use more mana on BQ/Fester than most other fights, but other than that I usually have a decent bar of mana to work with.

Am I seriously doing something wrong?

Oh.. Xeb, the OP and myself, we are not the same people. But I appreciate the help. O.o

10+ Year Old Account

Basically what everyone is trying to say is if you have mana at the end of a fight you could have put out more healing. Being a good healer is being able to judge your mana so you don't go oom, but by the end of the fight you have used most if not all of your mana.

People who are under haste cap wont be doing as much healing. Even if they have a lot of SP most of that goes to overheal. Once you are capped you can not only have a rejuv out every GCD but in 10s you can help fully hot the tank and heal spike dmg.

Most of the time people have too much mana because they bring too many healers. They have 2-3 healers doing all the work and carry the other 3-4 who wouldn't be able to keep up without them.

The thing about druids, is even if you have 6-7 healers you still should be close to oom at the end of the fight just because we can buffer heal. You may not be topping the meters with all those other healers but keeping rejuvs on your raid and hots on your tanks at all times will make you at least useful.

Guess I should regem for some more haste. ;;;

I used to get yelled at by the other healers because I overhealed so damn much.

There's a lot for me to work on, then...

10+ Year Old Account

Don't give up. Learning how to max your druid is the best part about playing one. =]

I used to get yelled at by the other healers because I overhealed so damn much.
    See that's something that actually isn't a bad thing Overhealing as a druid just means you were providing more of a buffer than was needed. If someone actually did take dmg then you had the buffer there to heal through it.

It's only a bad thing if you're extremely slow at reaction healing (something you shouldn't be doing anyway other than swiftmend) or if you're spamming heals on irrelevant targets, such as Rejuv spamming when there's not going to be any raid dmg, or spamming Nourish (or other heals) on non-tanks / wrong tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

I don't think I have any reaction time issues. I'll keep a closer watch on myself when we head back into ICC on Monday and see what I can improve on.

Thanks for the answers folks, I am pretty sure I logged out in my tanking main spec gear last night. I have around 520 haste is memory serves me correctly and about 3000 healing in treeform the other stats I cannot remember. Red slots I gem spellpower, yellow slots I gem spellpower/haste and blue slots spellpower/spirit. Should I be looking to regem for more haste or will that just come with gear.

Someone implied that I was trying to go oom, that's not the case, it's more a case of if I have only used 20% of my available resource throughout a fight of a reasonable length then I can't be doing something right, it's seems apparent that this is in part due to overgearing the instance and having too many healers.

As for content, I tank on our ICC runs so healing tends to get left to whatever pug I feel like I can stand when I want a change; I pick up any ICC gear as offspec, so that won't be coming at a rapid speed. At what point did most people break their t9 four piece set bonus (3 piece 232 1 piece 245)?

Cheers for the help folks, even if I don't get a huge opportunity to heal I do like to be specced/gemmed correctly and at least feel like having a basic grasp of Druid healing mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Migraine
    Thanks for the answers folks, I am pretty sure I logged out in my tanking main spec gear last night. I have around 520 haste is memory serves me correctly and about 3000 healing in treeform the other stats I cannot remember. Red slots I gem spellpower, yellow slots I gem spellpower/haste and blue slots spellpower/spirit. Should I be looking to regem for more haste or will that just come with gear.

Someone implied that I was trying to go oom, that's not the case, it's more a case of if I have only used 20% of my available resource throughout a fight of a reasonable length then I can't be doing something right, it's seems apparent that this is in part due to overgearing the instance and having too many healers.

As for content, I tank on our ICC runs so healing tends to get left to whatever pug I feel like I can stand when I want a change; I pick up any ICC gear as offspec, so that won't be coming at a rapid speed. At what point did most people break their t9 four piece set bonus (3 piece 232 1 piece 245)?

Cheers for the help folks, even if I don't get a huge opportunity to heal I do like to be specced/gemmed correctly and at least feel like having a basic grasp of Druid healing mechanics.
    from What I gather you dont break till you get 4/4 t10 since 2t9/2t10 is evidently worse

15+ Year Old Account

another solution may be ... run with less healers, bring more dps. If you feel bored, that may help aswell.