Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc PVE PW:S or PoH Glyph?

Hey forum people,
    I raid as disc but I would like to help lessen some of the AoE dmg in ICC content e.g. Fester and Marrowgar.
    So my question is which glyph should I use? PW:S or PoH one?
    My general role in raids is main tank healer but I help out with raid healing when tank is topped up and shielded.

The help would be greatly appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Disc PVE PW:S or PoH Glyph?

Take it with caution since I'm no priest, but from what I've heard, aren't PW:S, Penance and something else the standard glyphs?
    I'd go with PW:S, Penance and PoH in your case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Penance is THE MUST glyph of disc.
    Flash Heal glyph is debated if it's needed, but I firmly believe it's also a must because Flash Heal is the filler healing spell between Penance CD and Weakened Soul debuff on targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    Take it with caution since I'm no priest, but from what I've heard, aren't PW:S, Penance and something else the standard glyphs?
    I'd go with PW:S, Penance and PoH in your case.
    Definetly glyph of PW:S, you will get much more healing out of that than the PoH one. Imo, PW:S and Penance are must haves for glyphs, it is that third one that ends up for debate. If you don't have mana problems and feel comfortable skipping the flash heal glyph, then i would agree with the 3 glyphs mentioned above.

Edit: PoH won't save lives, just a little bit of a meter pad if you have more mana than you know what to do with. Its usefulness really only shows in a 10 man environmet....say when your 2 healing the princes and your second healer dies to something dumb and you have to solo heal the rest of the fight (normal mode of course)

Deleted

It's usually argued that PW:S and Penance are the mandatory glyphs for Discipline PvE, with PoH and Flash Heal being the optional ones. However, I've seen some argue for Holy Nova and even Hymn of Hope as the third glyph. I find the latter to be stupid, but that's my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account

PW:S

Your PoH is weak enough and mana inefficient enough already, not being Holy and all. You're better to just shield spam when damage is imminent and rely on the PW:S glyphed HoT for the rest.

If you're really concerned and still want the PoH glyph, don't under any circumstance scrap the PW:S glyph. It, along with the Penance glyph are mandatory in all cases, no excpetions. Instead, interchange it with the Flash Heal glyph.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

PW:S, Penance and Flash Heal imo. Flash heal could be replaced by PoH I guess, but would be more usefull if PoH was raid-wide. As Disc you probably won't raid heal much anyway, and when you do it'll be lots of shield spamming, PoH only sometimes as, like I said, it's party-not-raid-wide.
    Anal jokes will never get old.

Depends on what role you do. are a disc priest that heals the tank and stays on him? or are the you kind of disc priest that bubbles the raid and abuses borrowed time to cast PoH?

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I'm going to hell, and you're all coming with me.

As the 3rd glyph, I personally recommend either Renew or PoH. You shouldn't be using flash heal thats much really in 25m environment, as it only takes gcd's away from your shields. In 10m's, disc shouldn't be focusing on tanks especially either, unless you run with two rdruids, which I highly doubt. I use the renew glyph myself on 11/12 ICC fights, and I like to swap it to the PoH glyph for our Heroic 10 LK tries, as there even a small heal can prevent a raid wipe if I mess up at Infest.

Short Answer:

You should use both glyphs on AOE fights, along with Penance.

Long Answer:

I would consider Penance and PW:S to both be mandatory glyphs for Discipline. Penance obviously because it's your best heal and you want it available as often as possible. PW:S is also a simple choice because it's also one of your most common heals, so getting 20% more throughput from it is solid.

IMO, it's your third glyph slot that is really up for grabs. One common option is Flash Heal, but it's not as great as many would make it out to be. First, if you don't have mana problems, it's not doing anything for you. Second, you shouldn't be casting Flash Heal all that much anyway, most of your casting is Penance, PoM, and PWS, so it won't save you as much mana as you might think. So it's a good option if you're pretty much forced to spam on the the tank and running into mana problems, but since you're asking about raid damage, it's generally a bad choice because you should be casting FH very seldom in a heavy AOE fight.

Thus, I'd strongly suggest the PoH glyph as the third glyph. Yes, the ticks aren't powerful by themselves, but they for helping to stablize the raid. In heavy raid damage situations, PoH is WAY more efficient than Flash Heal. On fights like Festergut, Blood-Queen, and Sindragosa, you will see a decent amount of healing coming from this glyph if you're using PoH as much as you should.

You do have the option of Holy Nova, but it's really not worth it in 25-man but it might be worth it if you can really get positioning down for 10-man; I wouldn't recommend it. You could also potentially use Renew, but I could only really see using it if you're fully relegated to tank healing, and even then, it's still pretty weak; so I say pass.

Short answer:

Both.

You should use:
    Glyph of Penance
    Glyph of Power Word: Shield
    Glyph of Prayer of Healing.

Youll find that flash heal is a useless glyph now and you will cast Prayer of Healing quite often.
    The third glyph slot is meh, but Prayer of Healing is the best you're gonna get.

15+ Year Old Account

Unless you have some very bad raid healers, or you're all undergeared, raid healing isn't your primary focus anyhow. No fights until at least Sindragosa and BLood Queen even have relative amounts of raidwide damage to worry about. Bubbling raid members to buy raid healers time is far more effective and mana efficient.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Agreed with most everyone so far. Mandatory glyphs are PW:Shield and Penance.

The last glyph spot is open for playstyle.
    PoH: doesn't see enough use, doesn't hit hard enough, and isn't mana-efficient enough to glyph in order to increase its usage.
    FH: useful and recommended if you tank heal or heal in 10s or spot heal in addition to bubbling the entire raid in 25s.
    HN: I've never given it a fair shot but its certainly useful in some circumstances. 10-mans would benefit more IMO.

TL;DR PW:Shield, Penance, and another that works with your heal style.

15+ Year Old Account

I have PoH now instead of Flash Heal because I don't need the mana conservation anymore..IMO not a wasted glyph, it's nice for fights with constant dmg like Marrowgar and Sindragosa etc.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

what i normaly roll whit is penance pws and poh glyph.

the flash heal glyph dont make a to big diffrence :P ofc its depending on your gear. but i never find myself runing out of mana so

Yes, you should never drop the PW:S glyph. That would be intensely stupid. It's a 20% bonus to your most used spell.

The question is Flash Heal versus Prayer of Healing. Prayer of Healing wins because while it may only be useful in a couple fights, Flash Heal is useful in no fights. Remember that for the Flash Heal glyph to be useful you must have mana problems in a fight and want cast Flash Heal a lot in the same fight. It's just not something that happens. Default glyphs should be PW:S, Penance and PoH.

I'm going to disagree with those who think the FH glyph is useless. I tank heal our 10 ICC and H10 ICC and while my mana isn't strained on every encounter, FH gets a lot of use and personally is much more applicable in the LK encounter where mana does get strained (or you're not casting enough) than a weak HoT on a spell that I don't often use. I personally get more mileage out of the FH glyph than I would from something that mods a spell I don't use.

Everything is circumstantial though, and Glyph of FH is no different. I'm glad people are offering opposing views rather than just saying "this is useless".

Dharmabhum, the issue is that Disc is such a bad tank healer. The only time you'd have Disc on tank heals is if you're two healing with a Holy Priest. Otherwise you'd just be helping on tanks, same as the Holy Priest. Most people give glyph advise based off normal circumstances and having Disc as a tank healer is definitely not normal. Shaman, Paladin and Druid can all solo tank heal in ICC 10. Disc and Holy can't. However, both can solo raid heal ICC10. If you're raid healing Lich King you should not have mana problems. Just don't shield tanks and only shield every other infest, while using PoH on the other and helping spot heal in between. No more mana issues.

The Flash Heal glyph is useless because Disc's best tank healing is done while haste stacking and using Greater Heal, not FH. So there is no mana gain by using it. Disc needs mana when raid shielding and not having shields burst simultaneously, not a case when you'd use Flash Heal. Or when tank healing with GH. If you're in a situation where you need to tank heal a lot you need to gear up enough to use Greater Heal. Otherwise you're straining your other healers because they need to watch the tanks and the raid at the same time. Something they really shouldn't need to do.

I don't want to derail or hijack the thread, but I would take issue with "the issue is that Disc is such a bad tank healer". I would agree that disc as a tank healer might not be the norm, and that's even more true if you're looking at it from a 25 perspective. But to say that disc isn't tank heals would contradict what many disc priests do and do well.

Back to the OP, all I wanted to do was offer a different perspective. I agree that mana isn't often an issue but it can be, and the Glyph of FH CAN be useful if conditions are there and it suits your playstyle, gear, gems etc. The consensus might be that PoH is a better glyph than FH in some circumstances, but if you don't use PoH, then the glyph is worth very little. Take other perspectives with a grain of salt.

I'll also admit though that I might be wrong, or rather inefficient, in my glyph choice. Maybe I should be using PoH more or forcing ranged to stack up so I can Holy Nova more. Maybe I'll try something else out this weekend. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It's valuable for everyone I'd hope.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Dharmabhum, the issue is that Disc is such a bad tank healer. The only time you'd have Disc on tank heals is if you're two healing with a Holy Priest. Otherwise you'd just be helping on tanks, same as the Holy Priest. Most people give glyph advise based off normal circumstances and having Disc as a tank healer is definitely not normal. Shaman, Paladin and Druid can all solo tank heal in ICC 10. Disc and Holy can't. However, both can solo raid heal ICC10. If you're raid healing Lich King you should not have mana problems. Just don't shield tanks and only shield every other infest, while using PoH on the other and helping spot heal in between. No more mana issues.

The Flash Heal glyph is useless because Disc's best tank healing is done while haste stacking and using Greater Heal, not FH. So there is no mana gain by using it. Disc needs mana when raid shielding and not having shields burst simultaneously, not a case when you'd use Flash Heal. Or when tank healing with GH. If you're in a situation where you need to tank heal a lot you need to gear up enough to use Greater Heal. Otherwise you're straining your other healers because they need to watch the tanks and the raid at the same time. Something they really shouldn't need to do.
    HI.

I'm discipline.

I can solo tank heal ICC10.

Thanks for telling me I can't, though, I am so glad to be told that everything I've done in Icecrown didn't happen.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present