Page 1 of 3
LastLast

unused blood tanking talents?

I've been looking at blood tanking specs, and I'm curious why some of these talents aren't taken by many high end tanks?

Spell Deflection
    Rune tap (and improved)
    Mark of Blood
    Bloodworms
    Improved Blood Presence

Seems like some might not be that great, but I don't get taking dps talents over them. Are DK's that aggro starved?

Re: unused blood tanking talents?

Are you honestly asking why tanks aren't speccing into blood presence over frost presence? I thought that was a little obvious personally

Most of these are a matter of preference.

Some DKs don't take Spell Deflection because they don't like that it's a % to proc ability. I personally love it.

Rune Tap is great for fights when LoS can become a problems (Sindrogosa) and can scale up to a near 20k self heal every 30 seconds. But of course, if you have high enough confidence in your healers keeping you alive all of the time, it would be a "waste"

Mark of Blood and Bloodworms are just bad.

Imp Blood Presence, along the same lines of Rune Tap.

Also, doing more DPS/aggro is always a good thing, hence the picking up for DPS talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominate
    Are you honestly asking why tanks aren't speccing into blood presence over frost presence? I thought that was a little obvious personally
    No, he's not.

Because they're bad.

Spell Deflection -- Too RNG, not useful for many fights. Probably the best of the ones you mention

Rune tap (and improved) -- Because we have healers for this. There are better options both in terms of talents and in terms of ways to use blood runes.

Mark of Blood -- Because it provides a truly pathetic amount of healing. If it healed for more it would be interesting as a shield-substitute single-target tank CD... but instead it sucks.

Bloodworms -- Why would we take this? I have 50,000 hps, getting 200 hp back isn't going to keep a boss from gibbing me.

Improved Blood Presence -- waste of talent, pathetic amount of healing. Not worth taking.

In short: taking a talent point has an opportunity cost. There are better options available than what ANY of these talents provide.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

It's my understanding that gearing in WoW works along the lines of making lots of tiny little things work together to make a big difference. Saying Mark of Blood sucks because it's only a 4% heal is like saying you shouldn't bother putting a stamina gem in that slot because it'll only give you 200 health.

Granted, my DK does not tank, but just thinking about it...Mark of Blood = 4% self healing. Blood worms = in ICC gear, each blood worm should be healing you for 600+ per hit. Improved Blood Presence = 4% self healing, and 10% increase to all healing done to you.

So if you combine those, you get 8% self-healing + about 2000 heals per hit from your 2-4 bloodworms, + a 10% overall boost to both your self-healing and the heals you get from your actual healers (which improves their mana efficiency slightly).

That's not insignificant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    Because they're bad.

Spell Deflection -- Too RNG, not useful for many fights. Probably the best of the ones you mention

Rune tap (and improved) -- Because we have healers for this. There are better options both in terms of talents and in terms of ways to use blood runes.

Mark of Blood -- Because it provides a truly pathetic amount of healing. If it healed for more it would be interesting as a shield-substitute single-target tank CD... but instead it sucks.

Bloodworms -- Why would we take this? I have 50,000 hps, getting 200 hp back isn't going to keep a boss from gibbing me.

Improved Blood Presence -- waste of talent, pathetic amount of healing. Not worth taking.

In short: taking a talent point has an opportunity cost. There are better options available than what ANY of these talents provide.
    You win! DING DING DING
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Athael

Yes it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungbroh
    Yes it is
    Raegwyn just soloed Sartharion with those talents. I disagree with you.

Admittedly, the difference won't be very noticeable, if at all, in ICC/progression raiding. But not everyone is doing hardmodes. With these talents a geared blood tank could run heroics without a healer - that's worth it on its own, if you ask me.

Just stop it all of you. Wow, nit picky little kids

Admittedly, the difference won't be very noticeable, if at all, in ICC/progression raiding. But not everyone is doing hardmodes. With these talents a geared blood tank could run heroics without a healer - that's worth it on its own, if you ask me.
    A geared blood tank can run heroics without those talents too.
    Besides, why would high end tanks spec so they can run hc's are smoothly as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by DAST
    Just stop it all of you. Wow, nit picky little kids
    How dare we argue over min-maxing on a dedicated World of Warcraft forum.

Seriously, do you even know what website you're posting on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzz
    A geared blood tank can run heroics without those talents too.
    Besides, why would high end tanks spec so they can run hc's are smoothly as possible?
    For fun?

Improved Blood Presence = 4% self healing, and 10% increase to all healing done to you.

Read the talent, you have to be in blood pres.

How dare we argue over min-maxing on a dedicated World of Warcraft forum.

Seriously, do you even know what website you're posting on?

Your not min-maxing. Your being bad o.O

The only talent that in that list that you might pick would be rune tap(preference thing) and even MoB(it can situationally save you against fast hitting mobs)

Deleted

There is a HUGE difference between soloing and high end tanking.

You don't take spell reflection because it is situation and too RNG even when it is applicable.

There are far, far better ways to spend your blood runes that rune tap, you have healers for that. Blood is the tank that heals themselves for 10% of their HP every death strike anyway, we have decent healer mana efficiency.

Any boss hitting fast enough for mark of blood to provide decent heals will not be hitting hard enough to make the heals worth it. If you have a spare point, it isnt bad, but it is not in the cookie cutter.

Bloodworms eat chain heals, and heal for a pathetic amount.

Improved blood pres - increases healing recieved. Have you seen the amount of overheals that paladins do in high end content? Is not worth it.

Keep in mind it is not all about mana efficiency, it is about staying alive, keeping the boss on you and helping all aspects of other players games.

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    There is a HUGE difference between soloing and high end tanking.

You don't take spell reflection because it is situation and too RNG even when it is applicable.

There are far, far better ways to spend your blood runes that rune tap, you have healers for that. Blood is the tank that heals themselves for 10% of their HP every death strike anyway, we have decent healer mana efficiency.

Any boss hitting fast enough for mark of blood to provide decent heals will not be hitting hard enough to make the heals worth it. If you have a spare point, it isnt bad, but it is not in the cookie cutter.

Bloodworms eat chain heals, and heal for a pathetic amount.

Bloodworms got fixed i think, not that it matters. and DS heals for 15%.....gonna mention it before a bad does....

but ya what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by DAST
    DS heals for 15%.
    Only if you're unholy.

It's my understanding that gearing in WoW works along the lines of making lots of tiny little things work together to make a big difference. Saying Mark of Blood sucks because it's only a 4% heal is like saying you shouldn't bother putting a stamina gem in that slot because it'll only give you 200 health.

Granted, my DK does not tank, but just thinking about it...Mark of Blood = 4% self healing. Blood worms = in ICC gear, each blood worm should be healing you for 600+ per hit. Improved Blood Presence = 4% self healing, and 10% increase to all healing done to you.

So if you combine those, you get 8% self-healing + about 2000 heals per hit from your 2-4 bloodworms, + a 10% overall boost to both your self-healing and the heals you get from your actual healers (which improves their mana efficiency slightly
    Typically in a raid situation, most if not all of those heals will be instant overheals, because of the constant flow of heals you are (should be) getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razia
    Hey Garrosh, stop screaming so loud. No, you can scream, it's alright. Just take it down about... 5% please. Thanks!

Only if you're unholy.
    Or if you take Imp Death Strike, which everybody does.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

Only if you're unholy.

Not sure why you wouldnt pick up imp DS, which makes it 15%