question about arena points and ranking?

I have looked around a little bit and havent been able to find the answers i seek so im asking here. Me and my partner have been doing 2s lately and we win just a bit more than we lose but are gradually getting better(1002) ranking. We started 1-9 and now are like 44-41 so def getting much better since last week. My main question is how arena rating works. I noticed in diff matches we get totally diff points, how is it figured? Also now that we are getting better should we quit this team and start a new one fresh because of all the losses we have or does it just matter how many wins we get? Like i said idk how rating works
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&cn=Romeolock

Re: question about arena points and ranking?

correction 49-43

Arena rating calculation of each match is based on the ELO Rating System which is used by the international chess rating system.

The ELO system takes the score of two opponents and calculates a statistical chance of winning based off those scores. After the match it uses the difference between the calculated chance of winning and the actual results. The difference between the two probabilities is then applied to the maximum amount of points allowed per match. Having a maximum amount makes sure teams have to play a large number of matches instead of just getting lucky and beating one team with a high ranking score.

Example of a match rating calculation:

Team A's Current Score: 1500pt
    Team B's Current Score: 1580pt
    Team A's Chance of Winning: 1 / (1+10(1580 - 1500)/400) = 0.38686
    Team B's Chance of Winning: 1 / (1+10(1500 - 1580)/400) = 0.61314
    Now Let's say Team A won the battle then
    Team A's New Score: 1500 + 32*(1 - 0.38686) = 1500 + 19.62 = 1519.62
    Team B's New Score: 1580 + 32*(0 - 0.61314) = 1580 + (-19.62) = 1560.38
    Now Let's say Team B won the battle then
    Team A's New Score: 1500 + 32*(0 - 0.38686) = 1500 + (-12.38) = 1487.62
    Team B's New Score: 1580 + 32*(1 - 0.61314) = 1580 + 12.38 = 1592.38

The K value used by Blizzard is 32. So each match, the maximum rating gain/loss will be 32pts. And if you play with a team with same rating, you will gain/lose exactly 16pts.

As you can see when a team with a higher ranking score wins a match against a lower ranking team, they receive fewer points than if the lower rank team won.

And your personal MMR will carry to the next team with you... so I don't THINK it makes a difference getting a new team

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    And your personal MMR will carry to the next team with you... so I don't THINK it makes a difference getting a new team
    Just don't let your team rating catch up to your MMR, if it does, (especially at that low of a rating) make a new team. Otherwise it will be impossible for you to get a higher rating, especially if you're barely breaking an even record.

Quote Originally Posted by shagguar
    Just don't let your team rating catch up to your MMR, if it does, (especially at that low of a rating) make a new team. Otherwise it will be impossible for you to get a higher rating, especially if you're barely breaking an even record.

did i miss something? mmr? The only time ive played is this 2s basically so my personal ranking should be the same as my team rating or however that works. So basically you guys are saying win/losses dont matter at all only rating?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

There is absolutely no reason to make a new team unless your W/L happens to embarrass you. The system is designed to get you to the point where you go 50/50 in your games. I suspect that it took a while at the start for it to find the right opponents for you which is why you initial amount of losses were much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    There is absolutely no reason to make a new team unless your W/L happens to embarrass you. The system is designed to get you to the point where you go 50/50 in your games. I suspect that it took a while at the start for it to find the right opponents for you which is why you initial amount of losses were much higher.
    thank you this is exactly what i needed to know.

so last question. Does it matter how you win point wise? Like very fast very long with 1 player dead etc?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by romeolock
    so last question. Does it matter how you win point wise? Like very fast very long with 1 player dead etc?
    No that doesn't make a difference. If it did you'd see people with macros to leave the arena as their teammate was about to land a killing blow to screw with the point system. The only thing really important to take note of would be your personal rating, match making rating, and team rating. Everything else is pretty irrelevant when it comes to figuring out how many points you win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    Arena rating calculation of each match is based on the ELO Rating System which is used by the international chess rating system.

The ELO system takes the score of two opponents and calculates a statistical chance of winning based off those scores. After the match it uses the difference between the calculated chance of winning and the actual results. The difference between the two probabilities is then applied to the maximum amount of points allowed per match. Having a maximum amount makes sure teams have to play a large number of matches instead of just getting lucky and beating one team with a high ranking score.

Example of a match rating calculation:

Team A's Current Score: 1500pt
    Team B's Current Score: 1580pt
    Team A's Chance of Winning: 1 / (1+10(1580 - 1500)/400) = 0.38686
    Team B's Chance of Winning: 1 / (1+10(1500 - 1580)/400) = 0.61314
    Now Let's say Team A won the battle then
    Team A's New Score: 1500 + 32*(1 - 0.38686) = 1500 + 19.62 = 1519.62
    Team B's New Score: 1580 + 32*(0 - 0.61314) = 1580 + (-19.62) = 1560.38
    Now Let's say Team B won the battle then
    Team A's New Score: 1500 + 32*(0 - 0.38686) = 1500 + (-12.38) = 1487.62
    Team B's New Score: 1580 + 32*(1 - 0.61314) = 1580 + 12.38 = 1592.38

The K value used by Blizzard is 32. So each match, the maximum rating gain/loss will be 32pts. And if you play with a team with same rating, you will gain/lose exactly 16pts.

As you can see when a team with a higher ranking score wins a match against a lower ranking team, they receive fewer points than if the lower rank team won.
    i have done some more research on this and the statement is proven to be completely wrong. I myself have seen and got way more than 32 pts so this isnt at all what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    No, this isn't true at all.

Example:
    Some low rated players bought a 2300 team off someone.
    -Say the team rating is 2300.
    -And now say, the MMR of the players that are playing on this 2300 team, is 1800.

The team itself, would never go up in rating. Even if you had close to 100% win ratio, it just wouldn't happen. Your losses would be around -21 every loss, and you'd be lucky to get a +3 for a win. Mainly because it matches you up against opponents with around the same MMR. This would continue until the MMR, and team rating came to a balance.