Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Mana adept cant work on such a balanced game

The problem I see with Mana Adept currently, is that arcane does its max dps by using more mana. The idea of arcane is to make judgements about the situation of when to hold back on mana usage and when to unload as much dps as you can.

So when we are given these 'ways of managing mana' will this mean we are forced into a even more stagnant rotation to maintain mana? Or can we still make the choice of spamming ablast to maximise dps when cds are up.

If Mana Adept is a 5% bonus across the entire mana pool then its barely worth thinking about, and is therefore an almost useless mastery.

Pvp wise, are arcane mages supposed to now go 'omg lol someone to kill AP/Icy Veins/Images/Time Warp/SP trinket/any other dmg cd I've missed, spam dmg lolol' so we can utilise Mana Adept at all?

Other teams will just go 'lolnub' and run behind a pillar/cc the mage/dispell cds.

IF the mastery and arcane mage playstyle was to remain unchanged I don't see how Blizzard could balance without large amounts of QQ. However I'm sure this isn't a finished product, but i hope they don't change arcane into the 'sensible, no, no must conserve mana' spec compared to the 'imma throw away all my mana for big dmg' spec it is now.

I think blizz is going to put damage at 100% mana kind of like what 4x stacks is right now for arcane. It will probably be so high that if you were to have unlimited mana, it would be game breaking. As you lose mana, you're dps falls more in line to what other classes are doing.

At least thats how i read it.

See, this mechanic works a lot more for a class that uses energy. I.e. each point of energy increases the ability's damage by .1%. So if you had 100 energy, your ability did 10% more damage, but if you had 50 energy when you hit, it only did 5% more damage. Therefore, it would make sense to manage energy and hit your abilities in the 50-100 range.

Honestly, I see a mana adept mechanic working a LOT better if it was "the less mana you did the more damage you did". This way, 1) arcane wouldn't be pull-off-the-tank bursty at the start of a fight, 2) it makes the mage really think about hitting that mana gem, etc. Gives the player an honest choice.
    FINALLY GOT CATACLYSM!

The posts I've read in here are assuming that mana adept will BUFF you damage at full mana.

There are no guarantees of that, it might well debuff you as you drop.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Antik
    I agree, it is an absolutely awful mastery bonus, any intelligent player can see how bad it is. Blizzard DOES NOT have the capacity to balance this. They can't even balance the simpler aspects of dps, let alone something as complicated (yes, this is very complicated when you come down to it due to the easy ability to abuse it) as this.
    At this point you can only:
    - acknowledge you're not informed enough
    - admit you are not good enough to do Blizzard's job - you point at your inability to fathom how they will pull it off.
    Don't be arrogant to the point of thinking if you can't no one else can.

Arcane can be easily be balanced around being equivalent to other classes' at X% mana (let's say 80%), and your job as an Arcane Mage player would be making sure you try and manage mana to keep it as high as possible.

Imagine the class mechanics will make you stay roughly 50% of a fight above 80% mana and the remaining 60% below 50% if you manage your mana properly and have good enough gear.

Now imagine they make a talent that makes your spells cost less mana the less mana you have... add Clearcasting, replenishment, possible mana returning procs and Evocation and you've got a mana management.

Plus, since Int will grant both Int and SP, it means it'll scale as well as other classes, since as your mana improves (i.e: Gear), so do other classes' mechanics improve.
    Your mana makes it easier to manage mana. Other classes may instead depend on crit and whatnot to get mana back.
    Fire will be able to use health when out of mana.

So, your paranoia is completely useless.
    Just admit you are anxious and take a chill pill.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

15+ Year Old Account

I'm just interested to see what the difference in damage will be between having a full mana pool or being at less than 20%. The spec is going to be balanced around mana management a lot more; that's pretty much all we know for now.
    For the Alliance!

To all those guys saying yes to mana adept ill sum it up so you can see it:

Option 1: Its a small bonus decreasing the less mana you have (5% or 10%): In this case the mastery would just be ignored, would have little to no effect on our gameplay and we wouldnt really drop our DPS to evocate to have higher mana just for it, we would just do like today, use mana gems and evocation to not run out of mana. Maybe we would use the gems when not needed or drop some hit to have more mana, but it would be very equal to a flat dps increase.
    Option 2: Big difference at full mana: Too much burst, 20% would be like having perma Arcane Power ( hell, the 3 min cooldown 20 secs 30% damage increase version was nerfed to 20%, how do you expect this to go live at a 20% damage buff at 100%), this one is impossible to balance.
    Option 3: You do 100% at full mana and slowly drops. This feels more like a nerf.

Reasons this mechanic feels like a punishment:
    A pull before you can fully restore mana? You wont do optimal damage for that fight.
    You dont spend a mana potion in every fight? You wont do optimal damage for that fight.
    You will have to use the mana gems and evocation in every figth or you wont do optimal damage.
    If for some reason your evocation gets interrupted, you are combat ressed, the figth last too long etc, you are nerfed for the rest of the fight, this is not energy, mana takes long to replenish if evocation and gems are on cooldown.
    If we didnt have it our damage would be similars to the other dps without having to bear having a full mana bar at all times, if we have this we will do the same damage as the others but without having to spend potions, be always full rested or have to keep mana up or fail.
    Most of you seem to be forgetting something: WE WONT DO MORE DAMAGE THAN AN AVERAGE DPS, with the bonus we will do as good as the others. If you think about it in 3.3.5 with the current balance of course its nice, but if it was implemented now without changing anything else, our normal damage would be nerfed in order to make up for the Mana Adept. Never forget that no matter how many bonuses you get, you wont do 10% more damage than the others classes, i wouldnt want this to be added rigth now leaving me in the same dps but with an extra nuisance.

I bet it wont go live and will laugh when it gets removed before (or after going live) or being totally changed. Dont be naive, after 5 years playing wow, anyone with a bit of intelligence can notice this mastery is totally wrong.