Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[cata] restoration guide - looking for feedback

A while ago I've started working on a Restoration Druid Guide that I'll be using in Cataclysm. It's very close to being finished and I've decided to post it already so I can get feedback from other Druids to what I should change in order to make it more useful.

You'll obviously find a few gaps because I don't have all the data I need yet and without having the actual game I cannot add stuff like "how to raidheal" because I don't have the experience yet.

I hope I can get some feedback here to see what needs changing or if it's decent enough

thank you in advance!

here's the link: Restoration Druid Guide for Cataclysm

Deleted
    your talent builds are strange

2/3/36: This will probably be the main build in Cataclysm.............................

Fury of Stormrage
    Malfurion's Gift
    4 points wasted

not sure now but 4% proc rate I think not worth 4points. Need to do some maths.

I will go for something like this link>>>>>> wowtal .com/#k=Rq6zTMgu.a5o.druid

But overall very nice guide
    Last edited by mmoc42b2491992; 2010-10-10 at 05:19 AM.

Deleted
    I did have a nice proc rate on the PTR but thnkx for the responds, I'll add your build to my draft version!

Deleted
    on PTR with current gear and etc you have endless mana.
    Just do not forget to keep LB on the tank.

Droods all the time will be considered like good /the best aoe healers for raid. I don't think we will become tank healers anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by dusia View Post
    your talent builds are strange

2/3/36: This will probably be the main build in Cataclysm.............................

Fury of Stormrage
    Malfurion's Gift
    4 points wasted

not sure now but 4% proc rate I think not worth 4points. Need to do some maths.
    Malfurion's Gift is definitely worth it. OoC procs a crazy amount as resto it seems like. It procs 4% per tick of lifebloom, and lifebloom scales with haste (iirc, 90% sure though). Also, with the new TOL-lifebloom mechanic, it'll make for some crazy proc rates. I think on mana intensive fights (i.e General Vezax like) it'll be god-send. Dunno if instant regrowth consumes OOC, I haven't thought about checking that out.

Though, I'd like to see Fury of stormrage not be a pre-req; It's a really boring talent imo :P

Edit: also, there's not much reason NOT to go into it... all the other talents don't seem to measure up to it. I mean, looking at your tree, you chose to get 4% crit and 4% healing to rejuv. From my experience from healing the heroics, more mana-free spells >>> 4% crit and 4% rejuv (4%+ rejuv is, like, 80-120 increased healing per tic...)
    Last edited by station; 2010-10-10 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by station View Post
    Malfurion's Gift is definitely worth it. OoC procs a crazy amount as resto it seems like. It procs 4% per tick of lifebloom, and lifebloom scales with haste (iirc, 90% sure though). Also, with the new TOL-lifebloom mechanic, it'll make for some crazy proc rates. I think on mana intensive fights (i.e General Vezax like) it'll be god-send. Dunno if instant regrowth consumes OOC, I haven't thought about checking that out.

Though, I'd like to see Fury of stormrage not be a pre-req; It's a really boring talent imo :P

Edit: also, there's not much reason NOT to go into it... all the other talents don't seem to measure up to it. I mean, looking at your tree, you chose to get 4% crit and 4% healing to rejuv. From my experience from healing the heroics, more mana-free spells >>> 4% crit and 4% rejuv (4%+ rejuv is, like, 80-120 increased healing per tic...)

Take a look at the second page of this thread for some math on 2 of the 3 logical resto specs: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ata-Resto-Spec

Also, in your Moonglow spec, take the points out of Starlight Wrath and put them in to Nature's Grace. Think of it as a 15% haste CD every 1 min, which is a lot better than reducing the cast time of Wrath.

Also in Major Glyphs: "This glyph increases the health that people get once you get them back to life with Rebirth. This glyph is optional and not as good as those mentioned above. Once you have enough mana regeneration you might want to use this glyph instead of the Innervate one." The innervate glyph only works when you cast innervate on someone else, so if mana regen is a problem we will likely be casting it on ourselves anyway... making the glyph useless.
    Last edited by axio; 2010-10-10 at 07:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axio View Post
    Also, in your Moonglow spec, take the points out of Starlight Wrath and put them in to Nature's Grace. Think of it as a 15% haste CD every 1 min, which is a lot better than reducing the cast time of Wrath.

Also in Major Glyphs: "This glyph increases the health that people get once you get them back to life with Rebirth. This glyph is optional and not as good as those mentioned above. Once you have enough mana regeneration you might want to use this glyph instead of the Innervate one." The innervate glyph only works when you cast innervate on someone else, so if mana regen is a problem we will likely be casting it on ourselves anyway... making the glyph useless.
    thnkx for the reply! I'll change the spec right away

I wouldn't call the Innervate one useless tho, 10% mana from Innervate sure beats nothing if you have to pass it. and Rebirth is on a 30min cd so the Innervate glyph will have more use. at least thats how I see it

Quote Originally Posted by Moonra View Post
    thnkx for the reply! I'll change the spec right away

I wouldn't call the Innervate one useless tho, 10% mana from Innervate sure beats nothing if you have to pass it. and Rebirth is on a 30min cd so the Innervate glyph will have more use. at least thats how I see it
    True, but we hopefully won't have to pass it. You also have to consider that if you brez someone you will have to heal them still, since they rez with 20% hp. Now that health pools are so high it seems like you would be spending much more than 10% of your mana to heal them, especially if it's a tank. Yeah the healing could be shared with the other healers if you're in a raid, but having them at 100% health gives you one less thing to worry about.
    Last edited by axio; 2010-10-10 at 08:08 AM.

Droods all the time will be considered like good /the best aoe healers for raid. I don't think we will become tank healers anytime soon
    Actually this is exactly what blizzard is wanting to change. Their goal is to make druid reliable tank healers. Conversely, this also means healers such as the paladin will become reliable raid healers.

10+ Year Old Account

ptr =/= 85. At 85, you will be having mana problems. Though we will probably be the best raid healers still, we can easily be amazing tank healers also with the changes.

Deleted
    Druids will have more tank healing option in cata than they had in Wrath, Lifebloom and Nourish are both a lot cheaper which makes tank healing and actual option. +crit affecting hots also helps more for tank healers in my opinion

honestly dont know why you bothered with this now. ya its a good insight as things stand but thats what is so great about 4.0 this week... change. a lot of things will change specially when blizz sees that mana management with a HoT healer just dont work.

A for effort
    F for timing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymusic View Post
    honestly dont know why you bothered with this now. ya its a good insight as things stand but thats what is so great about 4.0 this week... change. a lot of things will change specially when blizz sees that mana management with a HoT healer just dont work.

A for effort
    F for timing
    I know a lot of things will change but that doesn't hold me from adjusting my post. Instead of having to build it up from nothing when I'm actually raiding in cata I've set it up now so the biggest time consuming part is over... all I have to do now is tweak it as the changes come

about the haste caps and haste in general.

we are never going to see people haste capped in cataclysm. simply not going to happen. off the top of my head we will need ~130ish haste for each 1% of haste. to be haste hard capped with raid buffs we will need over 5k haste rating. even with the increased stats on the gear, we aren't going to see that much haste.

nature's grace basically equates to a static 3.75% haste increase if you are able to keep up with the cooldown. additionally it gives you access of one of the best mana conservation talents available to us.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and do the math on malfurion's gift to see just how much mana you will be saving yourself by specing into it over furor or moonglow. the potential is there for it to be the best mana conservation talent we have, but as of right now i don't now how it actually falls out. furor and moonglow are pretty much on equal terms as far as i'm concerned so the choice between the two isn't that critical IMO.

Nature's cure will in all probability be mandatory in all specs. The only time it wouldn't be required is if you had your healers plan and spec for it so that one person primarily takes the magic cleansing duties. but in 5-mans you will be solo healing and will need to be able to take care of magic yourself.

in your stats section, you should also mention the fact that haste lowers your GCD in addition to the other benefits you list.

in all, your guide is a good starting point. it is overly simplistic to me, but that is also a good thing for people just getting into healing. kudos.

Malfurion's gift looks really nice by itself, but im not sure how much off-time we'll have between healing to make Fury of Stormrage useful. Although if you've had a ton of procs it might be really useful, before reading any of this, i just skipped over that talent but now im sort of considering it.

Deleted
    thnkx for the feedback Cerelli!

I know that nature's cure will be mandatory in solo healing situations (like dungeons) but in my guild we already decided who's going to be in charge of the cleansing

as I've said the guide you see now is very basic but it allows me to add or change things rapidly without much trouble

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you'll just want one person available to cleanse in a raid. There's a good chance that person could die especially when first learning the raids. As far as I'm concerned, more than one person should pick up situational things (like more than one hunter in a raid getting Imp Hunter's Mark or a Boomkin not getting Typhoon because you don't use it EVERY fight.) Just saying, it will probably be in your best interest to pick it up.

Aerie Peak 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 90 / 86 / 90 / 90 Kel'Thuzad 90 Tichondrius 90 / 90

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axio View Post
    True, but we hopefully won't have to pass it. You also have to consider that if you brez someone you will have to heal them still, since they rez with 20% hp. Now that health pools are so high it seems like you would be spending much more than 10% of your mana to heal them, especially if it's a tank. Yeah the healing could be shared with the other healers if you're in a raid, but having them at 100% health gives you one less thing to worry about.
    I actually never thought about it this way... thnkx

Personally, I think the following statement is too strong. "A healing frame addon is the very backbone of being an effective healer. Without this you shouldn’t even be thinking about grouping with others!;" The default in-game raid frames are quite good and are (arguably) vastly improved in WoW 4.01. I began healing using Healbot then tried Grid and Clique. I found that using the default in-game raid frames was best for me. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know that the frames are drag and drop and appear to not have additional lag associated with them. When used with key binds the effect is as good if not better than most healing addons.
    Last edited by Purrfunctory; 2010-10-11 at 04:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrfunctory View Post
    Personally, I think the following statement is too strong. "A healing frame addon is the very backbone of being an effective healer. Without this you shouldn’t even be thinking about grouping with others!;" The default in-game raid frames are quite good and are (arguably) vastly improved in WoW 4.01. I began healing using Healbot then tried Grid and Clique. I found that using the default in-game raid frames was best for me. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know that the frames are drag and drop and appear to not have additional lag associated with them. When used with key binds the effect is as good if not better than most healing addons.
    I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree, you have so many option within these addons that ones you know them the addon proves to be a great help for us healers. the drag and drop raidframes are nice if you only have to target people but with an addon like healbot you get far more than this. I can tell who's healing the person I want to heal (and this way avoiding overhealing/wasted mana). it can show me who has a very important debuff or buff that I should be aware of etc etc. plus the fact that you can bind spells to a simple mouse click if much faster and easier to handle than key binds.

also if you have multiple spells to manage I'd personally go for the healing addon unless you can easily keybind 7+ spells and use them without trouble.

I started healing with the default raidframes and keybinds, my healing performance went up with a massive burst from the moment I started using healbot

I'm not going to say that you can't heal without a healing addon but it does improve your performance a lot