[Other] The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Tarot Cards

I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus yesterday, and afterwards I was reading forums about the faustian allegory and hidden symbolism in the film. One thing that struck me was the brief scene where it shows his tarot cards, and he turns over the hanged man just before they find the hanged man. I went back and was trying to figure out what the other cards on the table for that 3 second shot were, and I identified the Wheel of Fortune, _________, the Angel, The hanged man, and the devil. I couldn't ID the 2nd one. It's either the Magician, The Hermit, or The Emperor. Can someone help me ID it, and if you know anything about the movie and/or tarot, try to find some meaning in it?

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Tarot Cards

I'm almost certain that it is "The Emperor". Have a look at different images of each card. Almost all Emperor Cards look like that one but close to none of the other cards look like the one on the screenshot. So I'm ruling them out by probability.

Also, I think the writing looks like "The Emperor". It's certainly too long for "The Hermit".
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

15+ Year Old Account

Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Tarot Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Also, I think the writing looks like "The Emperor". It's certainly too long for "The Hermit".
    Pretty sure it's in Italian, because the first looks like "La Ruota", and so hermit would be "Eremita" (at least, according to google?). I agree with emperor though -- the general feel of the card seems to match across lots of different card sets.

If you're still interested in these cards: the deck is called Old Italian/Della Rocca Classic Tarot.
    The first card is Wheel of Fortune (The opportunity will arise for a fresh start, or the beginning of a new path).
    The second card is King of Cups (A warm, loving, spiritual man) - it's the Doctor himself.
    The third card is Temperance (A balanced life, a time of equilibrium, diplomacy and negotiation).
    The one I can not see is Hangman (If I remember the movie well) - well, you could read it literally, as they met Tony hanged on a bridge.
    The last one is Devil (temptation, addiction, destructive pass).
    As there are more Trump cards, it means that big changes will come soon, and little could be done to oppose them.
    I hope it will help

Nice card meanings! I like your card meanings. Is there a website that you have showing all the card meanings?

Please share.

Quote Originally Posted by danuta View Post
    If you're still interested in these cards: the deck is called Old Italian/Della Rocca Classic Tarot.
    The first card is Wheel of Fortune (The opportunity will arise for a fresh start, or the beginning of a new path).
    The second card is King of Cups (A warm, loving, spiritual man) - it's the Doctor himself.
    The third card is Temperance (A balanced life, a time of equilibrium, diplomacy and negotiation).
    The one I can not see is Hangman (If I remember the movie well) - well, you could read it literally, as they met Tony hanged on a bridge.
    The last one is Devil (temptation, addiction, destructive pass).
    As there are more Trump cards, it means that big changes will come soon, and little could be done to oppose them.
    I hope it will help