Caster for battleground fun

So, I'm going to roll a new char just for PvP fun - mostly for BGs, no Arena, no hardcore raiding, ie. it will have at most average gear. As my main is warrior, I'd like a ranged, preferably a caster. I'm looking for some fun abilities (ie. very annoying for your opponents) and/or decent survivability and of course some serious damage dealing - in BGs and without top gear. So should I go mage/warlock/shadow priest/shaman/druid? Which is the ideal combination of fun + not too gear dependent?

Your recommendations are appreciated, thanks. .

Re: Caster for battleground fun

Druids are nice as boomkins but you'll die a lot and there realy isnt much ulity. However boomkins have realy nice burst. I wouldnt recommend it though.

Hunters are realy nice in pvp especially with the longest range among casters. There's a lot of ulity and survivability in pvp and i find them one of the most enjoyable classes to play.

Mages are very versitile as frost. If you know how to play you can get away from any difficult situation and cause a lot of damage as well.

Priests are doing realy good lately as shadow. The only problem is that as a clothie once your dispersion and PW:S is down, as well as your fears on cooldown you'll be forced to healing. Many classes are realy doomed to dots right now though, and dispellers are going to have a hard time with vampiric touch locking out dispells.

Elemental shamans are all about bursting your opponent. Learning how to adjust totems and throwing them down whenever you need to while maintaining them on the field when killed is going to be your main problem. After that it's gonna be more faceroll. Elem doesnt work well against burst damage since it's realy easy to take down if not played right. You can always stand back and let your allies take the beating while you either flee in ghost wolf or spam lightning bolts.

Warlocks dont work quite well in battlegrounds either. While exelling in arena, most battlegrounds dont provide any good terrain against demonic circle.
    Dots are pretty powerful, but when you're focused there's little to do unless you have a healer to cover your back especially against warriors and rogues who are going to be your main problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Re: Caster for battleground fun

Quote Originally Posted by Skivoh
    Priests are doing realy good lately as shadow. The only problem is that as a clothie once your dispersion and PW:S is down, as well as your fears on cooldown you'll be forced to healing. Many classes are realy doomed to dots right now though, and dispellers are going to have a hard time with vampiric touch locking out dispells.
    Any dispeller with more than 800 Resilience and 20k HP will gladly dispel Vampiric Touch. Mine hits for 6k when dispelled, and hasn't crit for about a month. Shadow Priests have to put all of their eggs in the Haste basket and their crit rate plummets because of it. Without an added stun/silence/interrupt on dispelling Vampiric Touch, it's really not scary at all. Hell, the geared healers don't care about dispelling Unstable Affliction either in small groups.

DoTs are only scary to the classes that have no reliable way to heal themselves, and even then, a handful of those six (Warriors, Hunters, Death Knights) have so much health that it literally takes two or three full DoT cycles to kill them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Warlock (king of dueling) and Shadowpriest (hilarious in WSG), but every day I find a situation where my entire combat system is rendered entirely useless by the guy jumping in circles in-and-out of line of sight spamming Cleanse/Dispel.

My opinions on fun casters:

Boomkin have a bit of utility in Entangling Roots and Cyclone, but they don't do so well against healers as they can't interrupt or silence reliably. Still, big numbers, great at running, and finally some burst cooldowns.

Hunters are great if you are great. However, if you are bad, you won't experience Hunter the way it needs to be played, and the experience will suffer. If you can manage a handful of macros and keybinds, you'll have a lot of fun, but you have no heals so even if you're awesome, you'll die eventually (unless you have great healers).

Mages, especially Frost ones, are great. Four different roots on three different diminishing returns will really make melee hate their life/class. You have decent damage, decent burst, great survivability.

Elemental Shamans can be great as either a strategic, chess-like class, or a suicidal burst character. I play mine very strategically and utilize kiting to go toe-to-toe with melee. Some times I get lucky and am ignored in Battlegrounds, so I switch into turret form and ZAPZAPZAPKABOOM.

Warlocks and Shadowpriests, like I said, are decent enough. Great at dueling and small PvP, but in larger groups they don't have enough to shine. Shadowpriests tend to die when Psychic Scream is on cooldown, and it seems like everyone's trinket is always ready, which tends to take a lot of possibly awesome moments, castrate them, and let you die like a noob.

Personally, I'm looking into reviving my Mage or possibly Shaman. Gear is easy enough to get, so it shouldn't be hard playing catch up. Tired or being melee in battlegrounds. There's only so many times you can get Death Gripped off of a 1000 health healer before you wish you could stab someone in the face.