Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Tell my why my guilds shammy healer goes Oom half way through boss fights

I would guess two things.

1. He is carrying other healers. He's having to do work that others should be doing.

2. The fights are going on too long. How does dps perform?

Ensure he has his water shield up at all times, Never let it drop.

If I have my water shield up and I use my mana tide early then again later I never have mana issues in 10 or 25 (not on hard modes so I cant comment) and my mp5 is only at 396 unbuffed. That's spamming chain heals and riptides.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpy
    The op already said he was not over-healing.
    you sir are one of maybe 4 people in this thread that read my whole post. thank you, i really appreciate it.

So let me say it again, he is NOT blowing away the other heals, he is only about 500hps higher then the other 1 or 2 (depending on the fight). The other healers we carry are a holy paladin and a resto druid (druid goes chicken for 2 healer fights) The pally is the only one with big overheals, but thats by game design and because he just spams tanks with holy light. the other healers are fine though and do not run oom, and the druid is constantly giving the shaman innervate.

This shaman is the weakest part of our raid because of his inexperience in raids (has never even done the majority of naxx), and he runs oom too fast. He is the RL's real life friend and as such we are helping him learn instead of flounder. Keep posting your ideas and whatnot, i am going to make him come to this thread tonight and read up on it.

Ask a druid to Innervate him when hes run dry problem sorted

Take wisdom buff instead mana spring
    Always keep up water shield
    Used Pure Mojo Flask
    When his mana is half full drop down Mana Tide totem
    Replace Meta Gem
    Do TOC and get the 245 trinket Solace of the Defeat or ICC 10 and get Sliver of Pure Ice (use it whenever you can at his mana = his mana - 2k)
    Spirit buff doesnt do anything to Sham so dont bother
    Replace his offhand with a shield, so he can enchant +25 intel. Any 232+ spellcast shield is better than his offhand

As said by others

1. Replace Meta
    2. Replace Shoulder Enchant
    3. Respec a bit better (Improved Reincarnate over Cleanse Spirit? I mean comon.
    4. Although I like the int trinket personally for my holy paladin, he may benefit better from http://www.wowhead.com/item=50358
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

10+ Year Old Account

Seems like he does too much overhealing and probably should watch his Water Shield charges, My resto shammy is geared from welfare triumph and some ICC drops with proper/gems enchants and can spam Chain heal on festergut and never go below 80%, believe me, I've tried

Quote Originally Posted by Bents
    I've never healed on a Shaman, but I wouldn't look at him so much and start looking at your other healers. "Top of healing meters, low on over healing" what that tells me.

A. He's got better reflexes then your other healers, so never has to cancel a heal.
    B. The heals he's throwing out are landing on people that need the heals.
    C. If others would pick up there healing, his mana wouldn't be such an issue
    D. He's carrying your other healers, until that prob. is solved save innervates for him.
    Yeah, this.
    If his overhealing is low, and his healing output is high, part of the problem probably lies with the other healers being bad or slow. However, it could also be that he is sniping heals from other people instead of focusing on his given assignment. This is usually fine in 10 man, but could be problematic if he goes oom and can't receive an innervate.

Also, there really is no valid excuse to not get the Sons of Hodir exalted shoulder enchant if you're in a raiding guild. The quest chain takes but a few hours, and you can spend emblems of triumph for the rep after that. This only needs to be done on ONE character, as the enchants are BoA.

10+ Year Old Account

Resto shamans go oom A LOT, you just gotta deal with it. I play a resto shaman as my alt, i got 1.2k haste and 39% crit, i go oom a lot, but i got tools to regenerate mana, and druids help too =).

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Dictonary, get one!
    Irony at its best ^^^

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

heres a list of the problems .

1: Hes carrying the other healers
    Insert Signiture here.

All of it has been good advice so far. At this point I'm going to bet he's letting Water Shield fall off.

He has an empty minor glpyh slot. Tell him to get the water shield glyph so he can have 4 charges.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hippykong
    you sir are one of maybe 4 people in this thread that read my whole post. thank you, i really appreciate it.

So let me say it again, he is NOT blowing away the other heals, he is only about 500hps higher then the other 1 or 2 (depending on the fight). The other healers we carry are a holy paladin and a resto druid (druid goes chicken for 2 healer fights) The pally is the only one with big overheals, but thats by game design and because he just spams tanks with holy light. the other healers are fine though and do not run oom, and the druid is constantly giving the shaman innervate.

This shaman is the weakest part of our raid because of his inexperience in raids (has never even done the majority of naxx), and he runs oom too fast. He is the RL's real life friend and as such we are helping him learn instead of flounder. Keep posting your ideas and whatnot, i am going to make him come to this thread tonight and read up on it.
    Next raid run a World of Logs report so people can actually see problems rather than having to deal with hypotheticals. Then everyone will be able to easily analyze if he is doing too much healing, not keeping water shield up, using the wrong heals for the wrong situations (HW spam), etc.

My suggestions:
    -Switch meta
    -Get badge caster trinket from Frost badges
    -Get the badge mail caster gloves, they are incredible
    -Drop all three points in Elemental Weapons. The talent is completely useless as it adds a total of +45 healing for three talent points.
    -Get Cleanse Spirit. There is no reason not to have it.
    -Put the other 2 points in Focus or one in Reincarnate.
    -Do NOT have him drop Healing Way like a few people have said.
    -Shield or better OH. Even the 219 Ulduar shield is better than that offhand.
    -If he is Resto main spec, why does he have the Enhancement reputation ring?
    -Drop Earthliving glyph, get LHW glyph

Quote Originally Posted by perforce
    When his mana is half full drop down Mana Tide totem
    DO NOT DO THIS. Depending on the length of the encounter and his typical mana usage he should be dropping the totem when he is at about 65-70% mana so he can get another one down during the fight.

Use mana-tide

also check that he's using the Correct Spell ranks, cause he may be healing the whole time with a downranked spell but it drains the same amount of mana as the highest rank, thus causing him to heal less for the same amount of mana. Hope that helped

Also just noticed resto is his offspec so makes me think i'm right even more lol

His gear is descent and he needs to use his trinket early on in a boss fight so it can be used again. I heal on my shammy Isasha on Khaz Modan. I use Sliver of Pure Ice when when my mana gets to about 80% so I get a chance to use it again if needed. I drop the Mana Tide Totem if I get below 20% mana, remember to drop a healing totem or mana totem as soon the mana tide expires.

I don't use healbot, but alot of people say that can help alot. Depends on playing style IMO.

His enchants seem wrong for healing, Head enchant should be from Wormrest Accord (MP5). Shoulders MP5 from Hodir. If he doesn't know about the hodir quest line walk him through it, it will help your guild, use an alt if needed to tag team them with him.

Change boot enchant to Greater vitality (7 MP5), not sure why he's using a stamina enchant.

Per wowheroes he needs a second trinket and a totem (might not have been equiped when he logged) Purified Lunar Dust frost badge trinket will help with mp5. Either the 264 or 245 emblem resto totems will be helpful.

Changing the Meta Gem could also help. His other gems seem ok. Ask him what his MP5 and haste are with raid buffs, usually mine are close to each other, although I just swapped some gear and my haste is high and my mp5 is lower than I like it to be.

Is your 10 man using 2 healers or 3? And does the other healer (s) run out of mana as well? Is there a druid that can drop him an innervate at say 25% mana?

Quote Originally Posted by Bents
    I've never healed on a Shaman, but I wouldn't look at him so much and start looking at your other healers. "Top of healing meters, low on over healing" what that tells me.

A. He's got better reflexes then your other healers, so never has to cancel a heal.
    B. The heals he's throwing out are landing on people that need the heals.
    C. If others would pick up there healing, his mana wouldn't be such an issue
    D. He's carrying your other healers, until that prob. is solved save innervates for him.
    ^this
    and you might want to inform him that he doesn't need to match the gem colors

On my shaman I have more haste and even less MP5 and the only times I've ever had mana issues was when the other healers were not pulling their weight. But anyways:

1) Fix spec, cleanse spirit of course

2) Meta gem, the proc is amazing; Insightful Earthsiege is a must have

3) Second trinket, I understand if he doesn't have anything better but go run some ToC for Tears of the Vanquished that badge one is crap

4) Keep water shield up(?), I don't know if he isn't but water shield is free mana on crit and stray damage/splash

5) Mana Tide before you hit 0 (preferably early in hopes it will be up again), it doesn't do you much good if it doesn't allow you to continue healing while it pulses

6) Proc that trinket! He's got an on use mana restoration trinket, I have one too. It's mostly a SP stat stick since I don't have a Solace of the Fallen, but it's free mana (I pop it with my endless mana/crazy alch since I can)

Quick point here.

His Mana regen is far too low for a healer.

With only 26k mana pool the regen should be close to 1k

15+ Year Old Account

1) Change the Meta-Gem.
    2) Mana-tide
    3) Keep water-shield up.
    4) He needs to regem all his sockets to haste rating except to keep his meta.
    5) Drop Improved reincarnation. Drop Healing way 3 points and get 3 healing focus and cleanse spirit.
    6) Leg enchant: SP/stam
    7) These are the strong Glyphs he should use Glyph of Earth Shield, Glyph of Chain Heal and Glyph of Lesser Healing.
    8) Shoulder Enchant: SP/Mp5 or the crit once he has the hodir rep.

I hope this help's and no i never use a Innervate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippykong
    ok, you are ignorant and i am going to ignore your post. i said he is topping the charts, i didnt say the other healers suck or that he is blowing them away.

I also said this is a 10 man group, so lose the 5 heals idea.

read the OP first, and dont assume everyone is a retard or cant do their job. thanks.
    because this is the internet and i can

1 no where in your post did you say 10 man so i as well as MANY others assumed it was 25 man

2 yes if a shaman is topping the meters on almost every fight the healers generaly are doing something wrong there are very few fights shamans excel on in ICC the its just not the way they heal thei dont roll hots they dont tank heal and they dont put up shields on every one they spot heal and chain heal

3 if you are having problems in 10 man with healers going oom maybe you should rethink your 10 man set up IE repenishment int buff kings ECT

4 you asked what the possible problems were and most of issues with healers going OOM is them healing way more than the other healers the rest of the issues are raid set up and gearing