Elemental DPS assistance request

Good afternoon, all!

In our guild raids, I run as a holy paladin. One of our members is an elemental shaman. She's not quite putting out the DPS that she should be able to considering her gear. I don't know much about how shaman work and we have no other shaman in our guild that can assist her. I've directed her to Elitist Jerks and other sites and offered as much help as I can, but her DPS still isn't where we believe it should be.

Here is a link to her armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Llane&n=Risami

And here is a link to a fairly recent ICC 10 she participated in:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-anmoqnrvr5vzx9us/

I was hoping that the knowledgeable Shaman community would be able to take a peek at her armory and possibly even the combat parse and give me some suggestions that I can pass on to her. I have already been given the suggestions of having her replace her meta with Chaotic Skyflare. She should also reduce her hit and try to replace her gear with stuff that doesn't have as much MP5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Elemental DPS assistance request

I personally don't know anything about Ele really, but 5 pieces of her gear have mp5. That could hurt dps I would assume, I've never heard of ele going for mp5. Also, from a glance at a ele help site, 263 hit is cap for Ally with certain buffs, she has 100 over that. And a piece of gear with spirit. Seems like she may just be Offspec geared atm! Looks to be playing well from damage parses and the DPS rating it gives.

I realize you said some of that afterwords, but I think that will make a pretty significant difference in DPS if that hit, mp5, and spirit gear was replaced with Ele gear.

from Gaftog's Post on MMO-Champ:
    Hit: HIGH to NO priority- Ss the best stat point to point until it caps, then becomes useless. Try to hit as close to cap as possible without going under.
    Spell power: HIGH priority- Gives most DPS per point. Prioritize this on gear above other DPS stats, no questions asked. Gives a return to ALL spells at any gear level.
    Haste: MEDHIGH to HIGH priority- Haste starts out as a good stat and becomes an amazing stat as your gear gets better. Haste is always a better stat point for point than crit UNTIL your bread-and-butter nuke, Lightning Bolt, hits the one second cap. Until then, it is always better to gear for haste above crit.
    Crit: MEDIUM priority- The lowest of our true DPS stats. It gives returns to all but one spell but doesn't stack nearly as well as spell power and haste do. Only prioritize this above haste assuming your Lightning Bolt is capped at or below a one second cast time.

My pally could put half of his ret gear on and half of his Prot gear on, and would do significantly lower dps, regardless of how well each set was
    [110][110][110][110][110][110][100][90][90][85][59][70]

Ok quite a few things :

Way to high hit - She is draenei and with normal raids you should have the 3% hit buff on the bosses - Thus she could easily replace her trinket and get some big other one. The Hit on it is useless - She is capped without.

She got WAY to low haste. For better and better dps we are talking needs above 1000+

Way to high Mp5 - All ways of replacing thing with other stats would be dps increase. Mp5 adds Nothing.

Gem in head item is 20 crit - Better with 12 SP and 10 haste and still gettin the socket bonus !

Looking combatlogs - She got problems with keeping FS up with 99% uptime - This is REALLY needed !! She misses several Lava Burst crits on it and suffers terribly on her dps ! Get her to find an addon or just get better tracking the time on FS - It would increase the dps she is doing by quite a bit !

There might be some other things - but raid is starting now so letting that for others !

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Ok, there's a lot of work to do here.

First off, try and get her new trinkets. At this level of content if your doing 10/25 ICC, those trinkets are really bad. You may want to try and get here stacking SP trinkets like http://www.wowhead.com/item=50340 , http://www.wowhead.com/item=45308 , http://www.wowhead.com/item=40432 . All 3 of those are better and pretty easy to get.

Next, SP/CRIT gear is a no no. Always aim for SP/HASTE/CRIT or SP/HASTE/MP5. Upgrades are upgrades but theres tons of gear out there.

Also, all yellow sockets should be gemed with 12sp 10haste. Always have 2 blue sockets with 12sp 15stam for her META gem. Everything else should be 23sp.

I sugegst she looks at the ELE FAQ sticky thread in this forum. TONS of info there.

Her meta gem is also wrong. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is the meta gem for Elemental Shamans...

Just picking on her talents a-bit, nothing crucial for her dps: 5 points in Convection is rarely needed. Improved fire nova and Elemental Warding would make more sense in terms of our standing as it is now. Doesn't matter that much though. Glyph-wise the Glyph of Flametongue Weapon would probably be a bit better than Glyph of Lava, but there's not that much difference when it comes to movement-fights. If she struggles with mana uptime (and while also skipping Convection) I would suggest her to get the minor glyph: Glyph of Thunderstorm. She should have it anyways since the knock-back is rarely needed in PvE as well as being really annoying for tanks.

Generally, it's just about what people have pointed out. Some bad gems and poor itemization.
    man is the animal

I think, in the end, that the person behind the character is ultimately the deciding factor on improving dps. The biggest question you need to ask yourself is if she is the kind of person that wants to get better? Does she want to do all the little things necessary to do competitive dps?

From looking at her gear and gemming choices, she hasn't ever read an FAQ about elemental. There seems to be a lack of motivation. If you read the FAQ's and really focus on applying that information to your character, there won't be the glaring issues that have easy fixes.

Work on motivating her to WANT to be more successful.

A better question is how is she outdpsing this guy (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ne&cn=Caimaius) who has much better gear and is a class that is capable of doubling the dps of elemental shaman.

I would suggest letting her roll on gear thats good for her. Whether it be cloth/leather or whatever (If you dont already). Looks to be like other than her neck peice. Every single peice of loot that she obtained (via drop in ICC) is not for elemental. Spirit/mp5 items are NOT for elemental just because they are mail. She has fairly poor gear tbh. However, her current gear (if regemmed) would be execlent for resto =P.

Well there is a lot of work to be done here so she really needs the spyglass from 10man icc gunship, her itemization is very bad her gems are wrong, as of right now her Glyph of lava is not worth it I weighs higher at 3500 SP I would suggest Flame tongue glyph, http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=49900 should replace her current pants, this is a nice and easy replacement if she has the gold for it. She needs the 4 set gloves helm shoulders chest of the 4 piece make sure she is using EM on cool down to make it very useful
    There is a lot more to be done if you would like LIVE help you can message me and I will provide you a vent info to talk to me directly she will drop below the hit cap if she drops the 2 of her T9, she needs the badge belt need to put a 12SP+10 haste gem in her necklace change her meta and the yellow on her helm to chaotic because the dps gain from it is way better the that she needs a 12SP+10 haste in it to keep the +9 SP all the Mp5 gear needs to be gone. She needs 2 blues for her Meta so make sure one is in the chest and one in the pants if you do get the pants I suggested. Her uptime on FS is not enough you need close to 100% otherwise you miss your crits

Alright, not quite sure on where i should start here, but lets take it step by step, i may or may not miss out on something cause there's a lot of things that's wrong.

Gear/Gems/Specc/Professions:

Gear: The gearing that he/she has gone for is for most part worthless, the head piece is worthless, Spirit cloak/ring Talisman and Focus stone is worthless, they both has pretty much always been. The boots is worthless, not good for resto either, most pieces is wrong in overall.

Gems: Pure SP gemming except 2?

Gem lession: Every red/Blue socket should be socketed with 23SP with exception for 2 Blue slots where you should have 12SP/15 stam (Cause of meta gem), these should be place in the piece that you get the most spellpower out of the socket bonus.

All Yellow sockets should be gemmed with 12SP/10 Haste OR 12SP/10 Hit, depending on your hit rating.

Meta gem should be: [Chaotic Skyflare Diamond]

Specc: The specc isn't quite proper, especially since she/he has chosen to go with MP5 gear for some reason, there's an even less reason to go with 5/5 points into Convection, rather take those points out, put 3/3 into Elemental Warding and 2/2 into Improved fire nova, this is pretty much mandatory for ICC10/25 hardmodes in particular, but also outside of that since it will save your life, if not: It will save the healers some time.

Professions: Alchemy + Herbalism(?) will not cut it, if he/she wants to min/max her DPS, it's JC/Engineering to go for, atleast get 2 beneficial professions if something.

Hit Rating: He/She is a Dranei, which means you got 1% increased hit rating just out of the racial, puts you down to a hit rating need of: 262.32 (With a Boomkin/Spriest), 341.02 Hit without a Boomkin/Spriest.

Due to this, the Boots enchant is wrong, should be 15 Stamina/Minor speed.

Stats (Hit/SP/Haste/Crit):

The stats that should be aimed for is in the following order, from best to last stat to aim for.

Hit (Until cap) > SP > Haste > Crit

His/Her Hit rating is way too high, the SP is low so is the Haste, the Haste rating should be way higher if you're even in ICC, Why hasn't he/she accomplished to get higher? Cause of the choice of gear, He/she has to read up on what's best for her, what stats is best.

Elemental Shamans mana reg comes out of Intellect due to Unrelenting Storm (Talent), this is the reason to why we don't need any MP5 gear at all, and why we can drop the points out of Convection when we have gear enough to do so, which you should when you enter ICC for real.

As for the Damage output (Judging out of Saurfang now)

Seems like he/she is using Flame shock less then what he/she should be, also clipped the FS dot with LvB twice (judging out of the non-crits, may be more.) got a DPS uptime of 95.9% on a fight where you basically just can stand there and nuke the shit out of stuff, either he/she is waiting for LvB to come up at the wrong times, or he/she is just not paying attention and min/maxing their DPS.

As for the rotation, at that low Haste, i would suggest to use CL more often, especially if you at that point got a hole between the (last) LB cast and LvB, which is going to make you clip the LvB CD, then throw a CL in there since his/hers is still above GCD even during BL.

Not much else i can think of right now, probably missed something... but as i said, there's a lot that's not right.

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. I relayed them to her and she is going to be making some changes. She is working on replacing the gear that has MP5 built in to lower that, as well as lower her hit for starters. Hopefully she is able to make enough changes to pull some bigger numbers next time we run.

Thanks again,
    Corien

You should be less worried about your ele shaman pulling low numbers and start posting on the mage forums, imo.

However the one glaring thing about her charts on the WoL is that on saurfang she only had a 73.3% uptime of Flame shock. That is worse than bad, Keeping up flame shock is a pretty high priority for elemental dps atm.