Thread: CPU and Mobo

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

CPU and Mobo

I think its time for me to upgrade my CPU and Mobo.. I was going to go for the AMD quad since my old CPU is dual core, so I was wondering if theres a specific Mobo I should get? or as long as its a socket AM3?... also if you guys think theres a better CPU with a better price and performance.

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3&Sku=A79-1965

Mobo: ???

Thanks in advance

Re: CPU and Mobo

That processor will work in any AM3 socket. I have that processor myself and its fantastic IMO. Its pretty equal compared to the Intel i5.

I just built a PC for a friend of mine using the Phenom II X4 965 (normal edition though), <a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...O%20790X">This Mobo</a>, HD 5850 and 4GB of RAM. Runs really fast at a very good value.

EDIT: You can check around for a USB 3.0 Mobo if you want to be more "future proof". I don't have any personal experience with any though.

As far as the CPU goes, the one you picked is the fastest CPU AMD has to offer at the moment, and it's set at a very good and competitive price, so it's definitely a good buy. As far as the mobo goes, there are way too many out there to choose from, we would need more information such as your budget and what you plan to do with it. For example: overclocking, USB 3, which SATA ports and how many, etc.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I would say around $100 is my range, something less would be great if its there. Mainly I'll prolly OC it a bit. Not too worried about the other stuff you mentioned. I'm more worried about getting a good performance at a decent price. I know for fact thought if I upgrade now, I wouldn't have to worry about it for atleast a few years if possible.

The motherboard that Powder posted costs 109,99$ and is pretty good and has some nice features like 2 PCIe ports.
    I'm quite sure DDR2 ram does not fit in DDR3 slots so you might wanna check what kind you have atm (the mobo Powder posted uses DDR3).