Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: What made you choose a priest?

The only class I didn't have. :3
    Look! Words!

My boyfriend and I have always liked leveling so when it came up for us to do a set of 80s to add to our little collection he rolled a belf dk and I rolled a troll priest. I guess for my excuse i've always been what he calls a 'healer at heart' considering that nearly all my toons are healers in some form (2 druids, priest, 2 paladins). For one, the penance was a big thing for me because it just looked so awesome to cast along with the bubbles (disc priest ftw!) along with mind controlling people off cliffs or the center of EoTS. Plus who doesnt like having an evil, yet adorable little shadowfiend to nip at the heels of people? ^^

Now we got another set of toons that we finished leveling with me being a mage and lord behold he has a priest now also....his ONLY reason: shadowform. xD

More like 'who' made me choose a priest -_-

I leveled my Priest in Vanilla wow so I could having more of a chance to raid, but the guild it was in broke up so it never happened.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I rolled my priest when BC came out. My prot tauren warrior was my main, and I had a mage, which was my dps. I wanted to heal and wanted a blood elf, so my choices were Paladin and Priest. Paladin were the new thing, but I figured everyone and their brother would roll one, so I went with priest, since I knew more about them anyways compared to paladin.

My main spec is Disc, off spec is Holy, both PvE. Healing is amazing fun. I've also got a resto shaman, and currently leveling a resto druid.

10+ Year Old Account

When I first started playing WoW about a month after TBC was released, I really wasn't expecting anything other than an improved and more multiplayer-oriented version of WC3. Figuring that, I decided that it really didn't matter what class I chose, since it would all come out the same anyway. Assuming the class you rolled would be more for flavor than anything, I chose an undead warlock (didn't like the Horde gameplay in WC3, but liked their "personality" and lore a lot better).

Once I started actually playing and realized that WoW was one hell of a lot different than I thought it would be, I started to put more thought into my character. Figuring that warlocks were pet-based versions of the mages I had seen running around, I dove straight into Demonology at level 10 to get the most out of 'em. Fortunately, warlocks were still pretty overpowered at this point, and I almost literally facerolled my way to Outlands. Once I learned a bit, leveled to 70, and found that tanks and healers were in huge demand at the time, I decided immediately to roll what I had picked up to be the "classic" tanks and healers: warriors and priests.

To be even more stereotypical (I wanted an easy time leveling and getting instances to grind), I rolled a tauren warrior, and the most caster-type race the Horde had (has): blood elf. With the warrior, I learned fairly quickly about threat (faillock couldn't pull off of tanks if I tried), and good ways to manage it effectively. Didn't really enjoy it at the time, but gritted my teeth and thought, "Boy, I could actually get into one of these 'raids' I've heard about if I level this damn thing."

Started leveling the priest, and immediately fell in love with the healing playstyle. This priest had everything. He had a spell for this, a spell for that, spells for things I'd never seen before, he could instantly shield people on the run, he could toss out HoTs, he could toss out Flash Heals, he could toss out larger heals, he could AoE heal well. This little priest may not have had the best single-target heals, or the best HoTs, or the best AoE heals, but damn if he couldn't do everything pretty well. Healed PuG instances/ground quests all the way to level 50 or so without a healing addon, then grabbed the first one people suggested: Healbot. Since that was what I had made the priest for originally (even using that phrase), I was tickled pink.

Once I had Healbot, I was invincible. I immediately went out and bought a 5-button mouse, and used up every click, shift-click, control-click, and alt-click variation on every button binding spells to that addon, and still use it today (laugh if you want about its lack of flexibility, but having 3 full actionbars keybound to a mouse is win to me). I was addicted to healing with the priest, even after going Discipline (while leveling in the middle of TBC, people thought I was a complete idiot, and they were probably right) for early mana regeneration. I didn't care, I had a spellbook brimming with spells that could do damn near anything, and I was bound and determined to use them all.

WotLK comes out, and the priest still hadn't hit 70 yet, was stuck in the 60s, and lost somewhere in Zangarmarsh. After pushing a couple other 'toons up to 80, immediately came back for the priest with some BoA gear and a burning desire to heal (still Discipline, too). After gritting my teeth and questing hard, I finally got myself up to 72, and finally saw the light. When it finally hit me, I was in the midst of spamming Smite and DoTs on three different quest mobs that were ripping my face in half (hey guys, look! A squishy priest, and it looks like...he's Discipline? 10g to the first one to make him cry!). I suddenly realized, "Hey, all these spells I love so much are in every tree, except for my cooldowns, and I could've healed pretty well with them even as a different spec. Why don't I go all the way, and blow some gold to dual-spec Shadow?" I blinked and was level 80. Still have that Shadow offspec, and do a little light raiding with it as DPS, but I'm much more comfortable and enjoy myself too much while healing, and still as Discipline. Little blood elf priest with the randomized name and aspirations of maybe doing Karazhan once or twice, I <3 you too much to ever give you up.

TL,DR: Rolled a priest initially as a stereotypical healer, fell too deep in love with their flexibility and playstyle to quit. Also, leveling with quests while Discipline sucks.
    85 paladin Prot/Holy, 85 warlock Destro/Affliction, 85 priest Holy/Disc, 85 druid Feral/Resto, 85 shaman Resto/Enhancement, 85 rogue Combat/Combat, 85 mage Fire/Arcane, 85 death knight Blood/Frost, 85 warrior Prot/Arms, 85 hunter Surv/BM.

My name is Citaxis, and I'm an altoholic. My first step is admitting I have a problem. I even have the addon.

Of course the shadowform , mind control , levitate and of course im adicted to mind flay!!
    When i log in with my spriest i want to mind flay something to feel good :P!

I dont like the holy thing especialy because im nelf (i prefer something more lunar for healing nelf priests)
    Disco works fine for me atm as offspec(of course shadow is my main).

I also have 3 tantents from improve mind blast and not 5 just to play more with mind flay

Deleted

Priests are the masters of healing and preservation, restoring their wounded allies, shielding them in battle, and even resurrecting their fallen comrades. While they have a variety of protective and enhancement spells to bolster their allies, priests can also wreak terrible vengeance on their enemies, using the powers of shadow or holy light to destroy them. They are a diverse and powerful class, highly desirable in any group, capable of fulfilling multiple roles.
    That is what made me roll a priest, I've always liked playing a healing character, but being able to shield people in combat seemed like an interesting way to play. I was about to make a human just like the priest page on wow-europe.com, but ended up making a night elf because I've always been inspired by elven races in any fantasy game/film.

When I started playing in late TBC I first made a druid, thinking: "lol druids nice, they can do everything!". But I hated it at 70, so I decided I wanted to be some kind of heavy supporter and made my priest, so I could become a mana battery ^_^

Nice to read alot of stories from my fellow priests ;D

So to answer my own question: Why did I choose a priest?
    They were reputed to be the squishiest

Mass dispell
    Mind Control
    :S

10+ Year Old Account

Eventho my main is a prot warrior, it's pretty much on par with my holy priest.

I've always thought of priests as the stereotypical healers, so I decided to roll one. A dwarf too, because there weren't much dwarf priests. Ive always enjoyed playing "pure" classes more then "hybrid" classes. Priest healing is just a fun playstyle, you got many tools to keep both yourself and your group alive. I also enjoy the fact that peoples lives can depend on what you decide to do. This is the same for a prot warrior.

I had 2 moments ingame when I decided that my priest really was the way to go;
    - AQ20, General Rajaxx - I was the last healer standing, OOM as fuck, eagerly waiting for Inner Fire to come of CD. Tank was at 10%, General near death. It popped: GHealed tank; wohoo, we won the fight!
    - Ony60 - Pugged frequently on sundays near the end of vanilla. I was the only dwarf priest in the raid, and the tank pretty much worshiped me, because I had fearward.
    Warlock (SL main)

It's a mix between:
    "I wanted to heal and just assumed that priests were the best healers"
    "My first wow character so I just randomly choose one of the funny icons"
    "None of the friends I started out with played a healer"
    "The undead + shadow stuff words sounded cool (didn't even know you aren't supposed to heal as a shadow priest :P)"

Power Word: Shield + Prayer of Mending thats all i do on my 3K GS priest

Re-rolled from Alliance to Horde in a new realm with a group of friends and a healer was needed. I'm used and I like to be a supportive class so I choosed the Priest. The combo Undead and (Holy) Priest is an irony but I love it ^_^
    This was around 2 years ago, since then my Priest is my only and forever main, I love that char

My first main was a Hunter and got it to 70. And then i saw the light
    Navarasa Forsaken Priest lvl 85 @ Spinebreaker [EU] - inactive

Deleted

Believe it or not, but i like'd the fortitude buff..

My friends bough me WoW BC and a gamecard to start playing with them.They said they need a healer....respected shadow and 20 and never gone back ^^

I played a mage in Vanilla and TBC so I wanted a healer that could also caster dps as offspec

But once I started leveling and realised how OP Fade is... well let me just say I have two 80 priests (one on EU and one on US).
    Cemetary - Holy/Disc Priest | Quiteconfuzd - Arcane/Fire Mage | Torden - Feral Druid

10+ Year Old Account

Short awnser really, i wanted Benediction, so i had to roll a Priest =P

My Priest is Lv 80 now, i enjoyed leveling more then endgame raiding on a Priest =(
    Faith Alone is Not Enough to Stop all the Enemies of the Light!
    - Retribution Paladin since 2007.

Burning Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Jesus christ, I just agreed with Jaylock. I need to go and have a shower.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Once upon a time I was an Orc Warlock in Vanilla WoW. I had just gotten done clearing BWL as one of top 10 guilds on my old server. My wife sat beside me watching the game and decided that after years of playing Diablo 2 she wanted to play the game with me. Booyah for me, that means more gametime. Downside? She doesn't want to play ugly horde and she doesn't want to be on a PvP server.

So I rolled onto Doomhammer and leveled a priest with my wife's mage. I wanted to make sure she didn't die a lot and wanted her to be able to have fun and not want to quit.

My brother inlaw jumped on the bandwagon and left horde and leveled up a warrior.

We did the whole supreme trinity thing and it worked out really well.

I've been called the "autistic" healer because I can just do it better than anyone else people have met. I've been Disc from day 1, unwilling to go full holy because I am of the mindset that mitigating damage before it happens is better than healing after it happens. Also back in Vanilla and early BC Disc had the bigger mana pool and I loved catching up at the end of a raid boss when I still had half a mana bar and the holy priests were on empty and topping the meters by sheer lasting power.

I quit for awhile when WotLk came out to deal with some life stuff. Now I'm back and pounding away at WoW again. Healbotting the random dungeons for nearly a level a day. I'm loving that and I'll still Disc.

We'll see where things take me but people from the old days are already coming a calling. They see the dwarf riding the raptor from ZG and remember Brakos and the fact that he doesn't let you die.

Also Disc is the bomb for PvP, my other addiction.

My dual spec is Disc/Disc. a PvE and PvP flavor.