The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Rawr worth using?

I was talking to some of my guildies about a mage alt, and about different gear pieces I had. I mentioned that I used Rawr and they started laughing and said that Rawr was deeply flawed and shouldn't be used, period.

I'm kind of confused, is Rawr good to use or should it be avoided like the plague?

The piece in question I asked about was the 245 trinket that provides int and a spellpower on use. Rawr said that if I replaced either one of my trinkets with that one, it would be a dps upgrade. I'm currently using the 245 hit / haste on use trinket with the 245 battlemaster's spellpower trinket because the mage is my alt and I haven't actually witnessed, on him, a single trinket to drop that I could even roll on.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Is Rawr worth using?

for mages, rawr is very reliable (if not taken as a religious text by some people), and should be used if you know how to run it. and yes, the ToR is a DPS upgrade to both of your trinkets, especially the PvP one.
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account

Rawr is a very useful tool, but it does require a bit of knowledge to use all of its features properly. It's not as complex as something like SimulationCraft but it is still something I would recommend reading up on how to work it before just mashing optimize and following the results.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account

im not bashing in any way but if you learn to play your class well then rawr isnt needed at all.
    like i said, im not bashing. i understand if you dont know how to gear one of your characters perfectly cuz as you said, its an alt and you have yet to see any good trinkets. from what i understand about mages, there should be alot of really good trinkets that are immediately available to you (icc heroics are your friend.)

as far as having a battlemaster trinket, get rid of it as fast as possible. i used a pvp trinket up until 3.2 cuz it was all i could get and when i got rid of it, my dps jumped a TON

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser
    Rawr is a very useful tool, but it does require a bit of knowledge to use all of its features properly. It's not as complex as something like SimulationCraft but it is still something I would recommend reading up on how to work it before just mashing optimize and following the results.
    I didn't mash optimize, I just loaded my character from armory and tried out a combination of easy to get trinkets I wouldn't have to rely on luck to get.

And to the post below, I have ran Heroic PoS many times and I'm tired of it. Runs there can take well over an hour and the trinket really isn't even that good. I try to run at least the first wings of ICC 10 / 25 a week as well as ToC 10 / 25 each week and absolutely no luck with trinkets.

I actually kind of loathe the trinket slot, TBH. I hope they change it for Cata. It's easier to fill every slot, by far.

15+ Year Old Account

It also says that Sandals of Consecration (264) is an upgrade from Sandals of the Mourning Widow (245)

While i lose 56 haste (im on 850 atm) .. is this correct? .. it adds 80-100 dps
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fapjackmasta
    im not bashing in any way but if you learn to play your class well then rawr isnt needed at all.
    like i said, im not bashing. i understand if you dont know how to gear one of your characters perfectly cuz as you said, its an alt and you have yet to see any good trinkets. from what i understand about mages, there should be alot of really good trinkets that are immediately available to you (icc heroics are your friend.)

as far as having a battlemaster trinket, get rid of it as fast as possible. i used a pvp trinket up until 3.2 cuz it was all i could get and when i got rid of it, my dps jumped a TON
    It's not needed, but if you want to maximize your DPS, it's very helpful. If you're serious about raiding, you should be serious about maximizing your DPS, and you should be using Rawr (after learning to use it properly).

I see you are a hunter. It's my understanding that the hunter model in Rawr is rather flawed. The mage model is one of the best estimates of mage performance available, and should be used as a tool for any serious mage.

I <3 Rawr.

10+ Year Old Account

One thing to keep in mind when using Rawr is that, when you first load your character, it sets it up with a TON of buffs that you don't have all of (typically), but it also leaves off Molten Armor...(which is weird).

Always check the buffs tab first, then look at your lists.

You can actually see the graphs change in real time on any given gear set as your removing and applying buffs to see what I'm saying.

Just a thought. Rawr isn't necessarily an easy tool to learn, but once you do, it's a very useful reference... unlike GS...

The mage module is not flawed and those who laugh at you for using Rawr likely either: don't know what it is, have no clue on how to use it, it's flawed for their class (like it was for warlocks forever), or they have small penises and would rather focus on GS more than dps.

15+ Year Old Account

Actually, you don't need to check Molten Armor... the default turns on an option called 'Automatic Armor' that picks the highest DPS armor (always Molten Armor). That's why it doesn't check it in the buff list.