Rebirth Assistance

Anyone know of an add-on, or one that can be modified, so that it does a form of raid annoucement when someone dies. Something really noticiable, preferably with a noise, so that I know ASAP when someone dies so I can rebirth quickly.

?

Re: Rebirth Assistance

Don't you use a raid frame in raids? You can set it so that someone who's dead has a giant skull on their frame with most raid frame addons.

I do, but I'm typically watching Squawke and Awe, or any number of tasks I have on a boss fight. Periodically glancing at the raid frame isn't fast enough a reaction, I want to know the very millesecond that someone dies. ;D

I use Grid for my raidframes, which represents each player as a box, with the box colored according to their class (rogues yellow, druids orange, mages cyan, etc.) Grid is set up so the "fullness" of the box represents the characters health. Ie, say a Druid takes damage equal to half their life, their box is now half dark orange half bright orange, with the bright orange representing the remaining life. When a person dies, the entire box goes grey/black with no more color to represent their class being shown. The dull box representation is particularly obvious when surrounded by a sea of other still-colored-in boxes, and I notice it easily even when watching SAA or raid environment hazards.

I haven't run across something that gives an audio warning... I imagine that would be annoying as hell on new raid bosses where everyone is wiping lol.

-Thedrun

Maybe it is the healer in me always keeping an eye on health bars, but when I swith to moonkin firm I have no problem managing my eclipse timers/deadly game mechanics/keeping a general overview of the raid's health.

Really, if you are spending a ton of time watch your eclipse tracker you are probably doing it wrong. I'm to the point now that I rarely even look at the timers.

But to answer your question, I don't know of any specific mod that will alert you off the top of my head. Something like mikscrolling battle text might be able to do it, but you would have to dig through the event options and figure out how/if it is possible to do.

Fatality is a nice death notification addon, it also states what they died to and how much the mob/attack hits them for.

Quote Originally Posted by vegiisan
    I do, but I'm typically watching Squawke and Awe, or any number of tasks I have on a boss fight. Periodically glancing at the raid frame isn't fast enough a reaction, I want to know the very millesecond that someone dies. ;D
    I love how you are trying to maximize your raid utility. However, and this is just my opinion, if you are that serious about raiding you may not instantly want to battle res the dead person.

A mental checklist comes to my mind:

1) Who died. Were they a tank, healer, dps?
    2) How did they die?
    3) Are others dying the same way and it's going to be a wipe and using a battle res will eliminate using it on our next attempt?
    4) Do I want them to come back to life? Sometimes if the person is terrible (maybe a pug) I'd rather save my BRez for the possibility that someone good might die to RNG or someone else's mistake.
    5) If I bring them back to life, where am I going to revive them at...is my spot I'm standing now free of raid environment hazards? Is a large AoE transition coming up so if he takes it will he die immediately? (Bonestorm during marrowgar, maybe even death and decay on deathwhisperer, was he Marked on Saurfang, Pungent Blight on Fester...etc etc)
    6) Does my raid leader approve of my use of cooldown on this raid member: I usually go through 1-5 and then announce "I'm going to bres "Sean". I wait just a moment, if no objections I do it.

This process seems tedious, but actually takes a matter of 3-5 seconds.

There are exceptions that I make and do an almost instant bres...that's if a tank drops, or a main healer drops. I almost instantly battle rez a tank, go bear form, and take over in his stead until he's topped off (but I'm feral)

Also for healers I usually instantly battle res and hit them with my innervate if it's up.

As for Raid Mods that monitor deaths : I highly suggest utilizing your raid frames.
    You bring a lot to the table as a Moonkin, and even a spare innervate on a healer if you don't need it will do more for the raid. Raid frames are a good thing (also, did someone mention decurse, cure poison, etc.)

Mbt pretty much summed it up. It is generally a bad idea to battle rez that quickly... you honestly should know who is important and who isn't (especially if you have been with them a while).

Anyway, I can't seem to find an addon that tracks deaths... but it should be pretty simple. I haven't tested this... but maybe it will at least give you a general direction to go with.

Code:
    local f = CreateFrame("Frame", "DeathThingy")

f:RegisterEvent("COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED")

function f:COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED(timestamp, subevent, srcGUID, srcName, srcFlags, destGUID, destName, destFlags, ...)
    	if not UnitInRaid(destName) then return end
    	if subevent == "UNIT_DIED" then
    		if not UnitIsFeignDeath(destName) then
    			DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(UnitName(destName) .. " ("..UnitClass(destName).." has died!");
    		end
    	end
    end

Yeah I agree it's not always good ASAP - but one of my rotation raid leaders wants me to do it ASAP so -_-"

Figure it's helpful to know straight away anyway so I can plan ahead.

As someone else already suggested, Fatality is a great addon for this. I raid lead often and its really quite helpful to have something anounce deaths and what they died from.
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

I have it - I guess the major thing I require, is that when someone dies, it makes an audio noise to alert me. I was trying to find a way to make MSBT do it but it only responded to player's killing NPC's, not vice versa. Basically I respond the most to sound, from boss speeches, (Such as 'my cup runneth over') and DXE/DBM/etc - text moves so fast that unless you're staring at the box you could miss it. 5 things could go off in the time someone dies and flood the death text away.

In normal modes it wasn't an issue so much, in heroic ICC 25 - sooo much is going on that I don't have time to stare at one place for too long, so I require audio notification for when someone dies, just to prod me incase I miss a text note or haven't looked at the UI for 5-10 seconds. ;D

Using Rebirth right isn't as much a matter of noticing fast when someone dies (unless it's one of the tanks) but reacting fast when it is needed to bring someone back up. This is often coordinated by the raid leader(s) so you don't accidentally waste the cd because another druid had the same idea or the target had an ankh/ss ready and was just waiting for the right moment to use it.

That said, it's a matter of raidleader preference also. Some may prefer you to act on your own. Some might avoid using these cooldowns early on if the target isn't vitally important incase more people die. Some might not even use it unless direly needed so they can count on it being available on the next boss. Make sure you know what your RL thinks.