Ghost fingers of frost?

Hello everyone, I'm a new mage with a prot pally main, leveling up in outlands at the moment and just got level 66. I was told that Icelance can be used to "ghost" fingers of frost charges, but don't understand what exactly I need to do. Could anyone explain it?

Re: Ghost fingers of frost?

Posting here partly so I can confirm my belief when a more full time mage comes along, but my understanding of the ghosting effect on FoF is rather than using the second charge to fire off an ice lance or deep freeze, you cast a second Frost bolt and clip the end of the cast with an ice lance or deep freeze. Both spells will get the benefit of the FoF proc.

That is my understanding, but due to some shotty latency issues I haven't been able to reliably test that on my mage I recently picked back up. Hope it helps...and if I am wrong, hopefully someone will come along and correct me soon!

Yeah. Basically cast your first frostbolt like normal. On your second frostbolt you can 'ghost' an Ice Lance at the very end of the cast, essentially gaining 3 charges rather than 2. Very nice for leveling.

So I frostbolt spam untill fingers procs

Then w/
    Fingers of Frost(2)
    Cast: Frostbolt
    Fingers of Frost(1)
    Cast: Frostbolt
    Cast: Icelance immediatly after previous spell

Basically.
    Here's how I do it:
    FoF(2) ==> Frostbolt
    FoF(1) ==> Frostbolt (while spamming the fuck out of Ice Lance) + Ice Lance fires at the end of your 2nd cast, gaining the effect of FoF(1).

Yeah. An add-on that shows your latency on the cast bar, I use quartz, will help you time it properly. Or you can spam it similar to Radux's suggestion.

It works the same way as queueing spells, you get a FoF proc, frostbolt, frostbolt->ice lance. It actually works better on frostbite/novas, as you can FB-IL-IL if you have enough haste and are far enough away. It's pretty cute.

The idea is to cast it while you still have the buff or they still have the debuff. Latency is a factor, but you don't need particularly low latency, just not like, 800.