Marksman Rotation question

The general marks rotation once a fight is going is roughly (ignoring CDs and Silencing)

Chimera Shot
    Aimed Shot
    Steady x (number varies)

My question is where is the point where it makes sense to cast an extra Steady Shot while waiting for Chimera to come off cooldown? I'd assume that if you have 1.4 secs on the Chimera CD you'd want to pop off an extra Steady, and if you have .2 secs you'd wait for Chimera rather than casting Steady, but I was curious where the "cutoff" point is.

Obviously the number of Steadys you can fit will vary based on your haste and whatever buffs/pots/etc are active during a fight. I just didn't see this answered on the sticky, so thought I'd ask.

Another random question is Potion of Speed (500 haste) vs Potion of Wild Magic (200 crit). For me the spreadsheet shows Speed as a slight winner between the two, but I was wondering whether this is more due to haste being overvalued on the spreadsheet. This on top of the fact that I typically will pot during a bloodlust which leads to my Steadys being retartedly below the GCD, therefore the haste is only helping the autos.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Marksman Rotation question

Honestly, just steady x4

off of base haste you can do that.

DNR: I hear of many hunters using either, so just do whichever you prefer.

You never want to have to keep chimera waiting....If casting anything else pushes back your chimera, it's a dps lose.

The longer the wait, the bigger the lose.

10+ Year Old Account

so 4 steady shots...

Switch ur Aimed and Chimera since u want your Aimed Shot to line up with your Improved Steady Shot. While Chimera does more damage it's because of the nature damage, Improved Steady Shot will not affect that. Aimed Shot will see a bigger boost from Improved Steady Shot. Lots of threads are already out there about Marks rotation with a bunch of good info. Clipping your shots with an extra Steady Shot is not really a good idea. 1.5sec+ cast time plus 1.5 sec GCD is a loss of dps while waiting -2sec for your CDs.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth
    Switch ur Aimed and Chimera since u want your Aimed Shot to line up with your Improved Steady Shot. While Chimera does more damage it's because of the nature damage, Improved Steady Shot will not affect that. Aimed Shot will see a bigger boost from Improved Steady Shot. Lots of threads are already out there about Marks rotation with a bunch of good info. Clipping your shots with an extra Steady Shot is not really a good idea. 1.5sec+ cast time plus 1.5 sec GCD is a loss of dps while waiting -2sec for your CDs.
    Using Chimera first is better at lower levels of arm pen. Even at higher levels its only like a 20 dps difference.
    <Decidedly Uncouth> Horde Mal'Ganis

10+ Year Old Account

only aimed before chimera if you socket arp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbanne
    You never want to have to keep chimera waiting....If casting anything else pushes back your chimera, it's a dps lose.

The longer the wait, the bigger the lose.
    If your steady shot is at 1.5 seconds and your connection is flawless, it becomes beneficial to use a 5th steady and push chimera back .5 seconds. I've noticed, however, that even when my steady is 1.5-1.6 second cast that I barely get off four between AiS/CS due to lag.

I don't have the link on me at this point, but I think there was a similar thread discussing this. In that thread I think it was more or less decided that waiting > 0.8 seconds for a shot to come off CD would be a DPS loss. Also, If you are not ArP hard capped I am not certain that putting Aimed above Chimaera in your priority would be very beneficial. If you are having trouble judging how many steady shots you can comfortably do, I would suggest 2 things. Know your steady cast time before you get any type of haste procs. Then Also get a cast timer add-on to track the exact time that Chimaera has to come off of CD. That should help you decide what you should do when your time is coming close.