Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New here, Couple Demo questions.

Hi there.
    I have just recently Changed around my gear, and for some reason my DPS is lower.
    I was hoping someone here could help me gear Better.
    I am currently wearing:

251 T10 Helm (Chaotic Meta, Purified Dreadstone) 30sp/20crit
    264 Bone sentinel's Amulet (Runed Cardinal Ruby)
    264 T10 Shoulders (Reckless ametrine) 24sp/15crit
    264 Volde's Cloak of the Night Sky (Reckless ametrine) 23 haste
    251 T10 Chest Runed/Reckless) 10 Stats
    245 Bejeweled Wizards Bracers (Runed) 30SP
    251 T10 Gloves (Runed) 28SP
    251 Cord of the Patronizing Practitioner (Runed x3)
    245 T9 Pants (Runed/Reckless) SP/spirit
    264 Deathfrost boots (Runed/Purified) Icewalker
    277 Band of endless destruction (Reckless) 23sp
    264 Loop of the endless labyrinth (Reckless/Veiled) 23sp
    264 Dislodged foreign object
    245 Reign of the Dead
    251 Black Coldarra Dagger - Black magic
    251 Scourgelord's Baton
    251 Wand of Ruby Claret
    (3 of my runed gemes are JC)

I also have these pieces of gear:

264 Nibelung
    251 Abracadaver
    251 Muradins Spyglass
    264 Ring of Rapid Ascent
    251 Maghari Chieftains staff
    251 Cowl of Malefic Repose
    245 T9 Helm, Gloves, Shoulders

My spec is 2/54/15 (Points from Imp Demo Tactics in Suppression, We don't have a Boomkin Atm) Glyphs: LT, Felguard, Quick Decay
    I open with Immolate, CoE/doom, Corruption, Then Shadow Bolts. I keep my life tap glyph bonus Up.
    When I get MC procs, I hit 3 Incinerates.
    <35% I spam Soul fire, keeping Immolate, corruption and Curse up.
    Meta is macro'd to all 3 of my nukes, as well as blood fury and demonic empowerment.

I cant figure out If I'm just playing wrong, or If something is wrong with my gear/Gems. My GM says I should drop my haste to about 900 (With Spellstone) or switch to Firestone.
    And 15% Hit is forcing me to keep 2 points in suppression.
    Any help would be much appreciated. I used to pull 8.5k DPS but now am pulling only 6-7k.
    Also, any helpful addons or macros would be nice.

Re: New here, Couple Demo questions.

Not sure I can help. With that gear you should be pushing 10k'ish, so you most likely have some serious rotation problems. Relying on macros for cooldowns seems to indicate the same thing. I can tell you that your GM is wrong and you shouldn't be trying to lower you haste, or using a Firestone. Spellstone is superior to Firestone in every way for Demo. Just sounds to me like rotation problems though. You're probably clipping DoTs, not casting as often as you should be, or some other issue. Just practice more and learn when to use cooldowns properly instead of relying on macros. That's just holding you back.

15+ Year Old Account

Why would you wanne macro meta to nukes, plan its use to fight mechanics/bloodlusts.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account

You should be using Meta a lot more tactically, saving for Heroism or gimmick vulnerabilities, and if it's ready just ahead of the execute phase, save it for that as as well rather than popping it ahead of time. Drop the Black Magic enchant, it's bad for Demonology compared to +63SP.

Also check your spell ranks, and clear your cache as I've heard of strange things happening with these, cache errors and bugs can mean you end up casting downranked spells and stuff, not sure I understand it but it fixed one of our Druid's issues.

Thx guys, Im sure im not clipping dots, I've been playing Aff forever, and i'm great at that, but i had to switch Destro for the guild.

Ill start working on using meta and my other CDS more tactically. And thanks for the enchant advice.

The gear i have on the best out of what i have? or should i be using muradin's > Reign?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerk222

The gear i have on the best out of what i have? or should i be using muradin's > Reign?
    Use muradin's. And go 63 spell dmg.

K im currently using 63 SP, i changed it, and i unmacro'd all my Cds
    Any tips on when to use them? Should I blow Blood fury everytime it's up, Or wait and pop it with BL/Meta/Execue.
    Also Demonic empowerment is still macro'd, someone told me empowerment is better to use everytime its up. Is that correct.

15+ Year Old Account

I macro Demonic Empowerment to Corruption and never think about it again.
    I don't macro meta, but I push it every CD unless I know the heroism phase is happening in under 20 seconds, which I delay for. I never delay more than 20 seconds.
    Always stack cooldowns if you can. Two 10% buffs equal 21% bonus when used simultaneously, not 20%.

R.I.P. YARG

So use blood fury with T10 bonus and such, doesn't sound hard.
    Also, i switched to Muradin's and experienced yet another Dps loss. I'm pre-stacking with hellfire, so I have the full buff the whole time.
    I'm gonna work on Popping Meta when have t10 bonus, and waiting for execute and Bloodlust if its within a good time period.
    Also does anyone know for sure If Muradin's is better than Reign?

EDIT: Also thx for the help so far guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerk222

Also does anyone know for sure If Muradin's is better than Reign?
    In short, yes
    TotalBiscuit: Hitler was a joke compared to me!

10+ Year Old Account

I guess there's something wrong about your rotation, or spells, or something...
    I've got pretty much the same gear(worse even, thinking about trinkets here) and i had 9.3k last night on Saurfang and blew away both our mages. Our boomkin went resto for the night so i was missing 3% hit. That was in 10man.
    Hit the dummy and don't stop untill you see improvements!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr
    I guess there's something wrong about your rotation, or spells, or something...
    How hard can it be to immolate, curse, coruption, (SB till MC 3x Incinerate) >35% Then Spam SF
    Am I missing something?

UPDATE: A little over 5 min on training dummy resulted in this:

6637 DPS 2.13M Damage

Abilities - Count - Damage - % - Crit%
    SB - 86 - 889979 - 49.3 - 52.3
    Incin -53 - 495336 - 27.4 - 45.3
    IMM(Dot)- 100 - 211817 - 11.7- 49
    Cor(DoT) - 128 - 183554 - 10.2
    IMM - 12 - 26137 - 1.4 - 16.7

I started off a it stronger, 7K dps, But over time I had to LT to keep mana rather than just keeping the buff.
    Is there a good time to cast LT in Demo, like in aff where you cast it every other haunt?

Edit: Pet DPS 1007, My Dps 5.5k

Every 18 seconds is my general rule of thumb when it comes to life tapping. This is kind of vauge since it still does depend on the fight and how much running you do. Anytime you're not planted casting, life tap, and so forth and so on.

CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

6.6k on a dummy equates to around 11k on a boss. You'll typically gain ~50% DPS in an actual raid due to buffs/debuffs/etc.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    6.6k on a dummy equates to around 11k on a boss. You'll typically gain ~50% DPS in an actual raid due to buffs/debuffs/etc.
    As Demo carries the bulk of it's buffs itself, it doesn't translate so well into raids as the other specs might; the biggy being DP itself. But yeah, testing on a dummy is crap as you're missing things like Spirit, Kings, Moonkin Aura and various target debuffs.

On the other hand, I just LT on the Glyph Proc fade and occasionally while moving, in raids with replenishment sources it's ample to never really go OOM. Another reason dummy testing sucks.

It only provides 5% crit debuff and the SP buff. The 13% spelldamage debuff is not fully provided because it negates the use of CoD. You will also never enter the execute phase meaning your DPS will be hurt in other ways. You are missing: 3% crit debuff, 3% haste, 5% haste, 5% crit buff, Replenishment, Arcane Int (crit/longevity gain), Divine Spirit, Fort (small SP gain), Kings, Wisdom, Might (for Felguard), major and minor armor debuffs (for Felguard), melee haste buffs (Felguard)... I could continue, but you get the point. Demo Locks benefit from almost every raid buff that there is. The only exception is the healing specific buffs. Going from 6.6k on a dummy to 11k in a raid is not at all far fetched. I do ~7.5k on a boss dummy and upwards of 12k in raids.

10+ Year Old Account

*Inserts the caveat "compared to the other two trees"*

It was late, and I was thinking along the lines of that. But yeah, I totally agree in raid dps compared to dummy DPS there is a massive difference, and said as much; I'm just not so sure for Demo that doubling it is quite so accurate, but then I don't bother dummy testing because it's so hopelessly flawed so I've no idea how much my numbers vary.

I wouldn't say double, but I go from 5k on a target dumby to almost 8.2k in 10 mans. This can vary from fight to fight and from comp to comp, but raid buffs do make a huge huge differences on Demo simply because it scales off of almost every stat. (With the exception of most melee stats)
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka
    *Inserts the caveat "compared to the other two trees"*

It was late, and I was thinking along the lines of that. But yeah, I totally agree in raid dps compared to dummy DPS there is a massive difference, and said as much; I'm just not so sure for Demo that doubling it is quite so accurate, but then I don't bother dummy testing because it's so hopelessly flawed so I've no idea how much my numbers vary.
    A 50% increase is not 'doubling'. Gaining an additional 50% is a pretty standard gain for almost all classes. You're missing that Demo benefits more heavily from outside raid buffs than either Afflic, or Destro. Destro in particular doesn't gain nearly as much because of the poor haste/crit scaling and no benefit from melee buffs. They also have no execute stage. Demo's execute range is a large part of their final DPS and they get a large benefit from all raid buffs. For example the quoted figures showed a Felguard at ~1k DPS. In 25 man raids with full buffs/debuffs that Felguard will have its DPS more than doubled because it gains all the melee benefits and scales with the caster buffs on you.

A 50% increase from dummy to raid is a conservative rule of thumb. Most classes gain more than this, but only if the user is very skilled, so a 50% gain is a good average.