Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...

Re: They slipped in a GAME CHANGER!

Haste will decrease the time for DoTs, but will not diminish the duration, so basically it just ticks "faster". Because of that, you could get more ticks through haste.

From what they've officially come out and said, it's sounding like partial ticks will happen, where it'll tick, and then be active for 2 more seconds before falling off without a final tick, for example, just because of when/where the ticks lie on their timer.

This is what the theoretical soft-cap talk on DoTs is about: The point where haste gets you another tick, without wasting duration time.

Realistically, I'm seeing the haste generalizations on channeled spells falling over into DoTs.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    This is an absolutely horrible change for shadowpriests, and possibly other casters. As it currently stands Mind Flay is a bad filler as it is a channeled spell therefore resulting in potential clipping from things such as latency and player ability. Introducing more ticks into Mind Flay means that we would do less dps due to less ticks overall, especially at points where your just before a tick.
    0/10 obvious troll is obvious
    http://i42.tinypic.com/34reglw.jpg
    obvious ban is obvious. Enjoy your time off.--Kelesti
    cheche ಠ_à²

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Haste will decrease the time for DoTs, but will not diminish the duration, so basically it just ticks "faster". Because of that, you could get more ticks through haste.

From what they've officially come out and said, it's sounding like partial ticks will happen, where it'll tick, and then be active for 2 more seconds before falling off without a final tick, for example, just because of when/where the ticks lie on their timer.

This is what the theoretical soft-cap talk on DoTs is about: The point where haste gets you another tick, without wasting duration time.

Realistically, I'm seeing the haste generalizations on channeled spells falling over into DoTs.
    what has officially come out is not that you will have partial ticks of nothing time, but that your duration will decrease until it can fit another tick in. so you wont be losing any cast time/dot duration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    what has officially come out is not that you will have partial ticks of nothing time, but that your duration will decrease until it can fit another tick in. so you wont be losing any cast time/dot duration at all.
    They've said that flat outright for channels. They just haven't put that to words for DoTs. I really think they will, it's not that big of a stretch, but who knows? This is Blizzard we're talking, afterall. :
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Loerk
    0/10 obvious troll is obvious

obvious ban is obvious. Enjoy your time off.--Kelesti
    Misinformed (and banned apparently) troll is obvious. It is a real concern that we'll be able to clip two ticks instead of the current one.

This is true only under assumption that you cast VT / SW:P / DP just once. Because as soon as you refresh the debuff, there won't be a difference.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    I hope shadowfiend will still be able to do damage in 3.1., it's my second "nuke" button next to Inner Focus!

Leap of faith:
    Good news everyone, we can now heal stupidity!
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...l&cn=Brokolice

15+ Year Old Account

I personally love this change, but maybe that's just me.

They've said that flat outright for channels. They just haven't put that to words for DoTs. I really think they will, it's not that big of a stretch, but who knows? This is Blizzard we're talking, afterall. :
    Well, do they really need to do it? The new "dot clipping" mechanic would effectively do the same thing.

Visual explanation here:

o = tick
    | = 3 sec (duration of the spell)

No haste:
    __________o__________o__________o|_________o__________o...

20% haste (last tick comes faster, still 3 ticks overall)
    ________o________o________o______|_o________o...

33% haste (one additional tick slipped under the 3sec mark):
    _______o_______o_______o_______o_|_____o...

Quote Originally Posted by Cjeska
    Visual explanation here:

o = tick
    | = 3 sec (duration of the spell)

No haste:
    __________o__________o__________o|_________o__________o...

20% haste (last tick comes faster, still 3 ticks overall)
    ________o________o________o______|_o________o...

33% haste (one additional tick slipped under the 3sec mark):
    _______o_______o_______o_______o_|_____o...

Again, this is valid only if you will NOT refresh the debuff. We will be rolling DoTs (rolling = 100% uptime on a boss), it doesn't really matter when the additional tick occurs to the relative length of the DoT.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    I hope shadowfiend will still be able to do damage in 3.1., it's my second "nuke" button next to Inner Focus!

Leap of faith:
    Good news everyone, we can now heal stupidity!
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...l&cn=Brokolice