Buying a new desktop

At the moment I'm using a low end laptop so I'm looking at buying a desktop for 25 man raiding in ICC and further on into Cataclysm. While looking at Best Buy's website, I came across:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=9693731

Does this desktop have the ability to obtain decent FPS in 25s?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Frost has been the leveling spec of choice since....forever. The people laughing at you are wrath babies and should be treated the same way David Hasslehoff treats his body: with no respect.

Re: Buying a new desktop

The processor
    The processor is fine, there are better once but it will be able to run WoW on high settings without lag.

Memory
    8Gb of memory is a bit overkill if you're just going to play games.

Optical drive
    The blu-ray player might be unnecessary but I don't know what you do with your computer.

Harddrive
    Not sure what brand the HDD is but it's probably good.

Graphics card
    The graphics card is definitely the weakest point in the system. Not sure if it can handle wow on high settings.
    Its in the bottom tier of the previous generation. The 5770 costs about ~150$ and performance much better (more then enough for WoW).

Power supply
    Can't find any info about it but my guess is that its a cheap and pretty poor one.

Motherboard
    Same as with the power supply.

What I think: You could get a better and cheaper computer if you built it yourself.

Edit: Changed the part about the graphics card.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia
    Graphics card
    *The graphics card is deficiently the weakest point in the system. Its in the bottom tier of the previous generation. The 5770 costs about ~150$ and performance much better.
    Not sure if it can handle wow on high settings.
    Were you not sure about the 5770 or the 4350? The 5770 can easily handle high settings. The 4350, likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Were you not sure about the 5770 or the 4350? The 5770 can easily handle high settings. The 4350, likely not.
    Was talking about the 4350. I use the 5770 myself and its awesome. =)

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

I use the 4350 I run WoW on high and I usually have 20-25 FPS in 25 mans. I would highly suggest you buy a better graphic card.

Case - Coolermaster Haf 922
    Optical drive - Cheap one from Sony
    Power supply - Corsair 750W
    Processor and Motherboard - AMD Phenom 955 Black Edition at 3.2Ghz and Asus 890GX with USB 3.0 and 2 PCIe
    Graphics card - XFX Radeon 5770
    Memory - G.Skill 4GB 1333Mhz and CL7
    Harddrive - Samsung Spinpoint 1 Terabyte

Price: 875$ without shipping.

Pros:
    *The processor is faster.
    *The graphics card is better.
    *The power supply is more reliable.
    *More room for future upgrades.

Cons:
    *Costs 115$ more.
    *You have to build it yourself.
    *No OS included (You can always *cough* borrow *cough* it from the internet).
    *Less Memory (But faster).

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia
    *No OS included (You can always *cough* borrow *cough* it from the internet).
    Very bad idea. Updating 'borrowed' Windows has been major pain in the ass for last 4-5 years, and it probably wont get any easier since they're now also locking critical security upgrades from PC's that don't pass their checks, not just fluff patches.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    Very bad idea. Updating 'borrowed' Windows has been major pain in the ass for last 4-5 years, and it probably wont get any easier since they're now also locking critical security upgrades from PC's that don't pass their checks, not just fluff patches.
    Officially: We do not discuss "borrowed" OS's.
    Unofficially: I know several people who have "borrowed" Windows 7 and have no issues with updates.

That said, remember that discussing illegal activities is a bannable offense. So let's just leave sleeping dogs lie.

So what I'm getting from this is that it is a relatively good desktop(besides the graphics card) and would probably be an upgrade from the 5-10 FPS I have in 25s on my laptop :P. Although, there are some features that I dont need like the excess amount of RAM, bluray, etc. So I think I'll look around a little more and see if there is a desktop out there that would suit me better.

Frost has been the leveling spec of choice since....forever. The people laughing at you are wrath babies and should be treated the same way David Hasslehoff treats his body: with no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by litledude
    So what I'm getting from this is that it is a relatively good desktop(besides the graphics card) and would probably be an upgrade from the 5-10 FPS I have in 25s on my laptop :P. Although, there are some features that I dont need like the excess amount of RAM, bluray, etc. So I think I'll look around a little more and see if there is a desktop out there that would suit me better.
    Yes it would probably be an upgrade but as I said before, that computer is pretty unbalanced with its huge amount of ram, blu-ray reader and crappy power supply/graphics card.
    You could buy it and then upgrade the graphics card but that would cost more then the build I posted.

Why not build your own? Its like lego but with a bit more expensive parts. :P

Yeah building my own would probably be the best way to go, but I'd have to learn how to do it. I might end up doing it over the summer since I'd have more time to do it.

I bought the same computer refurbished, and slapped on a new graphics card(i forget which, im on my laptop) I run 60fps without every lagging once

Quote Originally Posted by litledude
    Yeah building my own would probably be the best way to go, but I'd have to learn how to do it. I might end up doing it over the summer since I'd have more time to do it.
    I built first PC not to long ago, you might be able to find the post here on mmo-c.
    I was very nervous but it works fine. There are many good guides and people that can help you on the internet if you wanna try it.