Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Daljo's less similar and even more colourful Shaman Icon replacements (Updated)

Daljo's Shaman Icon Replacements

About the Icons
    It's always bothered me how Flame Shock and Earth Shock share a similar icon style but Frost Shock looks out of place, Earth Shield is also another one of these "Archetypal" spells that have an icon that doesn't fit in with the others of it's kind. I decided to change this as best I could but it was difficult to mimic Blizzard's icon style perfectly, so I had to improvise and remake them all with my own style.

Now the icons themselves aren't really in a state to be released due to the fact they're incomplete and i'm not completely happy with them. I'd appreciate it if the Shaman of MMOChamp could provide me with their opinion of these icons;
    - What is good/bad about them?
    - What could be changed?
    - Would/Will you use them? If not, why?
    - Are they a considerable improvement over the originals or are they a pointless waste of time?

So how about those icons now?
    Imageshack.us Link to the "completed" icons so far:

Issues relating to these Icons
    As some of you know Blizzard likes to reuse things, icons are no exception. Some of the icons i've produced will also replace the icons for Achievement, other Classes' skills and Items. This might result in some even more out of place icons. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head are: Explosive Trap/Magma Totem, Healing Stream/Polearm Item Icon, Stoneclaw Totem/Barkskin, Earthbind Totem/Essence of Earth, Lightning Bolt/Innervate, Frost Shock/Various Talents (Frost DK/Mage) and more.

Even if you don't play any of said classes or aren't bothered, it would be worth remembering this for PvP as well.

Aesthetically they could be improved. The icons are designed at 512/512 px and scaled down and sharpened to reduce the blur. The packaged versions will all be regular size and not the 512 versions.

Also replacing/adding new icons to the game isn't against the ToS, so you have no need to worry about being banned (If you didn't know this already).

It's also possible to add these icons for macro images only, if you don't wish to replace them.

Ok, I understand the hands but WTF are those totems about?
    They're supposed to be wooden stumps with iconic images carved into them. Also if you look closely you can see the Totem's glow varies between them. +5 points if you can figure out why.

Fire Totems are going to be Stone based, Air will look similar to Windfury totem and i'm stumped on Water.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Daljo's extravagent and slightly too colourful Shaman Icon replacements

I love these! the only problem is the totems are a little hard to distinguish (especially with small icons) but I think if the colors of each totem in their original form were incorporated into the carvings it could work better. please oh please make a sweet lightning bolt image 8)

Well personally I dont like the totem icons. To similar imo. I also dont like the chain heal, only because it doesnt really suit it. Although LHW and HW are good. I really like the shock ones. My only suggestion is if you end up making the ones you listed, make sure they share the theme. Good job =)

Quote Originally Posted by whowherewhat?
    I love these! the only problem is the totems are a little hard to distinguish (especially with small icons) but I think if the colors of each totem in their original form were incorporated into the carvings it could work better. please oh please make a sweet lightning bolt image 8)
    Yeah, I thought that would have been a problem with them. I'm going to increase the size of the totems themselves and reduce the wasted space to the sides, while doing this i'll add some more icon colour to them as well.

don't like the totem icons, they are way too hard to distinguish.
    the healing waves also need to be different. right now they are the exact thing as the old icons, one hand, three different colors. at least make the color more different, or don't bother changing it at all

Quote Originally Posted by Daljo
    Ok, I understand the hands but WTF are those totems about?
    They're supposed to be wooden stumps with iconic images carved into them. Also if you look closely you can see the Totem's glow varies between them. +5 points if you can figure out why.
    Ok im probably wrong but the glow is the same as in the Movie "The Fifth Element" yeah? that bruce willis one where they activate the stone things with each element? as i said probs wrong but if im right can i haz cheezburger?
    My Sister: "i want to make a Gnome, they look cute"
    Me: "If small things are cute, why don't Asians have girlfriends?"
    My Sister: -.-
    Me: =D

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Yeah the totems are a bit difficult to distinguish. I like the idea tho!

I, for one, am disgusted. How could you not give stormstrike a new icon in a blizzardesque fassion. ;D
    So what, I own a Celestial Steed, vant to fight about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bananengurke
    don't like the totem icons, they are way too hard to distinguish.
    the healing waves also need to be different. right now they are the exact thing as the old icons, one hand, three different colors. at least make the color more different, or don't bother changing it at all
    There is a difference between LHW and HW, but it might be too difficult to see when it's reduced in size. For HW i'll make the "Wave" bigger or give it a different effect.

And as you said, i'll also make the colour difference more significant for Totems as well.

very nice job.

would use it if i was a shaman :X

The totems need different colours or shapes (one or the other is fine) so they don't all look the same at a quick glance. I don't play a Shaman and to be fair I don't really look at the spell icons on any of my 80s unless it's to check a CD, but it's still not like Blizzard to make so many icons so similar.

Also if you look closely you can see the Totem's glow varies between them. +5 points if you can figure out why.
    Pulsing totems and static aura totems.
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

Those shock icons are gorgeous.

I agree that LHW and HW are a little to close, I rather like the CH icon as well. For the earth totems perhaps color code the glow affects to match the originals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnett
    Pulsing totems and static aura totems.
    +5 points to you.

Also considering making an alternative Chain Heal icon, with the idea to make it more symbolic.

Working on making totems different now.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Wow, these look fantastic! I'd definitely use them.

Awesome job, but as others mentioned the totem icons are bit hard to distinguish from another, maybe use different color scheme on each?

awesome!
    My RP Character №1 - Trillium Starwind - Night Elf Druid/Warrior
    My RP Character №2 - in progress, creating

Mister OP. Please, have my babies. Our babies could be the most beautiful and badass looking babies ever. Much better than the default version of Blizzards babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Re: Daljo's less similar and even more colourful Shaman Icon replacements (Updated)

Updated images with new totem icons. I think Stoneclaw and Strength need a bit of adjusting though.

Re: Daljo's less similar and even more colourful Shaman Icon replacements (Updated)

these are kick ass. how the hell do I go about replacing these for my game?
    GM of <Calm Down> [H | US-Magtheridon], Currently: 7/7M, 3/3H, 1/10M

Quote Originally Posted by Spikedude
    these are kick ass. how the hell do I go about replacing these for my game?
    The process is easy, you just extract the .blp files into your Icons folder (Same directory as AddOns, you'll need to make an Icons folder though).

I'll get the files uploaded soon.