Worst parts WoW will run WELL on?

Yeah so i have a shitty old p4 computer so what?...
    p4 2,93ghz
    1gb ram
    geforce gt 220
    I get 10 fps in 25 man raids with low as possible settings except particle density and texture resolution on max
    and i get over 30 fps in 10 man raids with medium settings.
    I want to know what are the most cheapest parts that will run WoW on high?
    do i need to upgrade my gpu for WoW even?
    (obviously the cpu and ram need to be upgraded.. )
    80 Warrior | 80 Paladin | 80 Shaman | 80 Death Knight | 80 Mage | 72 Hunter
    TARREN MILL EU

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Worst parts WoW will run WELL on?

Your CPU and RAM will need upgraded, but in order to upgrade those, you'll likely need a new motherboard to accommodate the new socket type. At that point, you might as well upgrade your video card too. So basically, you'd be looking at a whole new build in order to upgrade.

No shit? I know that. All im asking is the Subject ...
    Worst parts that wow will run well on..
    TARREN MILL EU

Depends on what kind of performance you want. A dual core processor, last generations graphics card, some ram and a cheap motherboard won't cost you that much. But you will have to replace then after just a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Clawer
    Your current 10fps is totally playable if you're on really tight budget.

The sad fact is that you need to dish out at least $800 to buy anything decent to replace your current junkpile since there isn't much worth salvaging. That $800 is enough to run WoW well now, but it's not enough for all 3d games, and buying minimum spec today is very stupid idea since you need to redo it again in few years when the minimum requirements have passed your hardware.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

Congrats on being a douche? Maybe if you included your definition of "well". Mine is 40fps+ in every location. Some people are fine with 20+.

10+ Year Old Account

I think the main problem in your computer (not going for the total revamp), was that GFX card, i get better performance on 25 man with a P4 2.8 with a GF 6800 GS, just because a card is of an higher series, it doesn't mean it's going to have better performance, the 220 you have is from the 200 series but it's the low-end, which is bad... what you have to look at when buying a GFX card is the model number and not the series ( 220 = 200 series model 20), a 8800 would probably have 3 times the performance just because it's an high end model, anything that is model 60+ (or 600+ on older series) is going to get you way better performance.

Now, i know this is probably not exactly what you're asking, but the thing is i need to know what you mean by "WELL".

Wow Cilraaz... didnt mean to get you angry oke: Well 20 fps is bad in my opinion.. 30 is what im looking for. Thought well always meant 30 fps :/

oh and thanks for the advice .... err M4xc4v413r4 (Jeez thats hard to type)
    But believe it or not i play Crysis on all graphic settings on medium except shadows on low.
    Far cry 2 with all on medium except fire on High

Yes of course its not super fps. But 20 is enough for an FPS GAME imo. ( Yes i said 20 fps is bad but i meant WoW )

Crysis benchmark averages on 29 fps anyway Playing on the settings i just mentioned and 1152x864
    TARREN MILL EU

WoW's graphics engine is rather shitty, and the amount of stuff on screen is usually much much higher than in fps games, so you can't assume anything based on some other game's benchmark.

Since FPS is good on other games, problem is CPU or RAM then, upgrading to 2 gigs is relatiively easy and cheap, and something you can try as a band-aid. Assuming your CPU is single core, it's just way too old for WoW most likely. Far Cry, Crysis and whatnot run mostly on your graphics card, WoW runs in CPU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

while your graphics card isn't terrible, its also cheaply made. Being a PCI card, there are several upgrades by both Nvidia and Radeon that are still PCI. As far as your other hardware goes, please post up your mobo's make and model. Im not very saavy on the P4 line, but im sure that there is most likely a faster CPU out there thats compatible with your mobo. Also, if you provide the make and model mobo, we can see what your maximum RAM is. I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess at 2Ghz, but we'll see.

those changes, should they be available, won't really cost you and arm and a leg.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by shogo238
    while your graphics card isn't terrible, its also cheaply made. Being a PCI card, there are several upgrades by both Nvidia and Radeon that are still PCI.
    Uh, what? The gt 220 the OP says he has (if thats even the card he has) is a PCI-E 2.0. Theres a difference between PCI & PCI-E. If he has a PCI card, the mobo is garbage, and he needs a new computer. If in fact he has that gt220 he says he does, the Mobo might be salvagable.

Mobo's make & model is def. needed though to figure out if its salvagable - its possible you can just update the BIOs, then put in a newer CPU.

The gt 220 is good enough to get 30fps on low-mid settings provided the resolution isn't insane.
    US Blizz Tech Support MVP
    Ressie - Medivh-US

Quote Originally Posted by Resa
    Uh, what? The gt 220 the OP says he has (if thats even the card he has) is a PCI-E 2.0. Theres a difference between PCI & PCI-E. If he has a PCI card, the mobo is garbage, and he needs a new computer. If in fact he has that gt220 he says he does, the Mobo might be salvagable.

Mobo's make & model is def. needed though to figure out if its salvagable - its possible you can just update the BIOs, then put in a newer CPU.

The gt 220 is good enough to get 30fps on low-mid settings provided the resolution isn't insane.
    easy there speedy. my mistake. I googled his video card and it came up as a regular PCI. I know the diffrence, i got bad info is all.
    could even possibly be a PCI and PCIe version of it, I dunno.

given the fact its an "old P4" as he says, my bet is PCI

The worst parts WoW will run well on are:
    -Dual core CPU 2.4GHz and higher that's not more than 1 generation old (so nothing later than last gen CPUs).
    -A higher end (for 2 generation old graphics card) or mainstream/"mid-range" (for last gen and current gen) graphics card. So nvidia 8 series or ATI 3 series and higher.
    -2GB of RAM for windows XP, 3GB for vista/windows 7.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

My cpu socket is lga 775 ( Ill give you more info later )
    and my gpu is PCI-E 2.0 x16
    ram is ddr2 4 sockets... but i broke the other holder pin from the 3rd socket :/
    currently got 2x 512mb. planning on 2x 1gb
    TARREN MILL EU

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    you'll likely need a new motherboard to accommodate the new socket type.
    I thought P4's where 775 sockets? If that's the case your board should be able to handle an E series dual core I would assume.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cynadra
    I thought P4's where 775 sockets? If that's the case your board should be able to handle an E series dual core I would assume.
    Some are 775 and some are 478. Since the OP didn't include his chip or mobo model, it's tough to say.

mobo:
    model - puffer2 1.xx
    chipset - intel i915P/i915g
    Rev. - 0E
    Southbridge - 82801FB (ICH6)
    LPCIO - SMSC
    Bios - Brand: American Megatrends Inc. | Version: 3.21 | Date: 04/29/05
    Graphic interface - Version: PCI-Exp. | Link width: x16 | Max supported: x16

E Series dual core
    mmmh most expensive 775 cpu i could find was a
    CORE2 EXTREME QX9775 3.2GHZ S771 45nm
    for 500 euros..
    TARREN MILL EU

The chipset doesn't support anything above Pentium 4s, you're out of luck as far as CPU upgradability goes.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

mmmh most expensive 775 cpu i could find was a
    CORE2 EXTREME QX9775 3.2GHZ S771 45nm
    for 500 euros..
    You can upgrade most of your core components with that amount :

I have no idea where you live and what prices you have to pay for hardware, but with 500 euros, you should be able to buy a new CPU/mobo/video card/RAM/PSU which is what you will need if you want to run WoW on high and still get good fps (in 25 man raids).
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely