Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SW:TOR I still dont get the hype

Whats the hype?

Whats the big sellers point for SW:TOR?

So far all the bah bah bah I hear is about the fact that Bioware is making it. Thats about it. well Popular Developers out there have also slumped down when it comes to the MMORPG genre. What makes Bioware any different.

ToR doesnt even seem like a MMORPG in my opinion.

Re: SW:TOR I still dont get the hype

The fact Bioware is making it is a good reason for Hype, because if their past is any indication, they are going to make another good game. This however, doesn't mean that a company with a past of making good RPG's will be able to suddenly make a good MMORPG, the differences between the game types are great.

This along with a bunch of people seem desperate for a "WoW Killer" that they will throw themselves blindly at the next MMORPG that claims to be one (Usually the company or a person in the Online Community claim it to be one). Usually, this is followed by them finding the game being less than agreeable (AKA, total crap), and will come back to WoW a month or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight
    - Lots of people like Star Wars, most Star Wars games get hyped.

- Bioware have an excellent track record making RPGs, specifically Knights of the Old Republic which was an RPG, Star Wars themed, and excellent.

While its true that Bioware have no MMO experience, their track record speaks of a company that when they decide to do something, they do it right. In many ways they are like Blizzard used to be.

Blizzard built an excellent reputation making the RTS games of Warcraft and Starcraft, and the RPG/Hack and slash games of Diablo, but had no experience making MMOs when they decided to do WoW. What they did have was a great setting with a loyal fanbase, and the sort of people known for their innovation and attention to detail when making games, whatever the genre. Bioware and SW:TOR has both these ingredients, which is why its so hyped.

Of course (and i'm stretching the analogy here) even if you have the right ingredients, you still have to cook it right...
    ALL very good points.

LETS NOT FORGET:

- First fully voiced MMO

- Classes will not share the same quests as another class. Entire different leveling experience.

- Most expensive computer game every created. (150 million + )

Sorry, but if that does not get you hyped. Not sure what will...

I don't think their Star Wars will become a "WoW killer" by any stretch of the imagination, but I sincerely hope it's going to be as good as I hope. Bioware has a trackrecord of creating excellent games in the past.

Creating and maintaining an MMO is much much grander than just developing a normal game though, which is something other developers fail to understand, and that's why their games dwindle into oblivion.

i guess the main reason would be star wars is epic and who wouldn't want to play as a sith lord or a jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by amirasha23
    ALL very good points.

LETS NOT FORGET:

- First fully voiced MMO

- Classes will not share the same quests as another class. Entire different leveling experience.

- Most expensive computer game every created. (150 million + )

Sorry, but if that does not get you hyped. Not sure what will...
    He is pretty much hitting the major points here, also I would like to add, that this game and im quoting Bioware "More content in it then Mass Effect 1,2 & KOTO 1 & 2 and "cant remember other game name" all put together." Do you realize how big that is? Just KOTO 1 & 2 together would match up to WOW. I think the game looks awesome, and they are taking there time with it and not rushing it out for a piece of shit in a box like lots of developers would, im really excited for Spring 2011.

15+ Year Old Account

But there is a big minus hanging over SW:ToR and it is called Electronic Arts which has not been MMO friendly. UO is barely hanging on by a thread, WAR was already hurting without the recent overcharges. One if not both could be heading to the MMO Graveyard to join Earth & Beyond, The Sims Online and Motor City Online if SW:ToR is successful. Many of Mythic's staff has already been shuffled into BioWare.

Deleted

The only MMO that would have a chance in hell of pulling me from WoW would be developed by 2K Marin and set in the Bioshock universe.

Only problem would be, there would be no factions, everyone would just fight everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by marojo60
    The only MMO that would have a chance in hell of pulling me from WoW would be developed by 2K Marin and set in the Bioshock universe.

Only problem would be, there would be no factions, everyone would just fight everyone.
    Terrible idea is terrible. There's already enough Bad MMO's on the market as there is.

Deleted

/shiver Sci-fi...just eww.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Terrible idea is terrible. There's already enough Bad MMO's on the market as there is.
    You are right, i'll stop having hopes this very instance.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by xMAxTrigger
    Just KOTO 1 & 2 together would match up to WOW.
    KotOR II wasn't made by BioWare.

Personally I'm really looking forward to TOR, even if the "MMO" experience turns out bad, I'm 200% sure that I'll play through every quest simply because BioWare really excells in storytelling/quest design.

So yeah, best case would be a substitute to WoW, worst case would be a SinglePlayer game with some players in between.
    Both which are probably better than 90% of the other games coming out.

Meh I'm not a fan of Bioware's storytelling. There is so much dialog it bores me.

I'd rather read a book.

they're trying to make swtor into a new brand of mmo because lately whats happening is all mmos are cheap wow copies, as wow is a cheap copy of everything good in other mmos =P
    they have incorporated the whole 'epic warfare' wherein your character is already epic so in the beginning you're not stuck smacking at one guy for 20 minutes, as you will always have to encounter multiple mobs and use a plethora of abilities.
    Also, theyve used the first cover mechanic in any mmo, where the thief class (i think) can hide behind cover so that the enemy cant shoot at them...which is very interesting..

finally, from some of the gameplay videos ive seen they have brought in the MOST EPIC part ever...YOU CAN LEVEL WITH YOUR FRIENDS!! as in there are some quests which require you to have multiple playable characters...
    also, the whole concept of making decisions to change the quest is cool in this because as there are 2 characters, the cutscenes will incorporate dialogue between both of you, which i find EPIC.

Finally, its star wars.

Deleted

The lastest video of SW:TOR made me less confident about if they understand what a MMO is. All the talk about "one player vs many mobs" is more heroic than "many players vs one boss" and that all the classes will be balanced goes against the concept of MMO itself.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-Fl4D2NOE

PS: I guess than Bioware never played WoW and fought Murlocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror
    The lastest video of SW:TOR made me less confident about if they understand what a MMO is. All the talk about "one player vs many mobs" is more heroic than "many players vs one boss" and that all the classes will be balanced goes against the concept of MMO itself.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-Fl4D2NOE

PS: I guess than Bioware never played WoW and fought Murlocs.
    class balance is an integral part of MMOs, why do you think WoW nerfs and buffs people every single patch? Its been a long time ritual that when the patch notes come out, your either going to be glad or pissed, depending on which stick you get that patch.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

the hype is this:biowere+rpg+star wars=KOTOR=EPIC
    biowere+star wars+kotor+mmorpg=UBER EPIC
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    class balance is an integral part of MMOs, why do you think WoW nerfs and buffs people every single patch? Its been a long time ritual that when the patch notes come out, your either going to be glad or pissed, depending on which stick you get that patch.
    Oh, I know that. But Bioware is ignoring one problem (the same problem that happened on SW:G), every single kid will play Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior and will QQ about why they can't destroy all the other classes (especially troppers and smugglers) like in the movies.

The game isn't even on Beta yet and I can already imagine the ammount of QQ that will happen.

But my concern is actually more about the idea of "heroic" that Bioware is planning. Some others MMOs tried it (City of Heroes/Champions Online) and the result was everyone soloing everything, with almost no groups at all. This is bad on a MMO.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by marojo60

Did you guys see the mmo report, seems i can see the future.

and you guys doubted me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror
    Bioware is ignoring one problem (the same problem that happened on SW:G), every single kid will play Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior and will QQ about why they can't destroy all the other classes (especially troppers and smugglers) like in the movies.

The game isn't even on Beta yet and I can already imagine the ammount of QQ that will happen.
    If every single kid will QQ about that, it will be their problem, not Bioware's.There is a video that states the fact that the goal is to persuade(see what I did there?) those kids to try out other classes too.
    P.S.: I fond it ignoratn that you say kid instead of player.Adolescents aren't all stupid.
    Alma, alma, piros alma, ha nem ízlik harapj szarba
    Széna, szalma, köpönyeg, nyálazd meg a tökömet
    Ak engem baszogat, vegye be a faszomat!

Irnlord, biggest troll on Terenas EU - Horde.