Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Priest on top 'total damage' chart?

Hi guys, got half a question for you. In ICC, and more so in 25 than 10 men, shadow priests seems to be the top killing machines for trash, or am I wrong? In the initial trash pulls of ICC (before Marrowgar) I'm pulling a constant 32-33k dps, putting me on top of 'total damage' chart real quickly (on Recount). If we put aside trash, shadow priests (well *I*) are able to stay in top 3 'total damage' (I specify total damage since we're NEVER gonna be top dps), and frankly I'm wondering if it's normal...

I'm currently knocking on the Lich King's door, been 2 weeks at it, wipe after wipe (some know the drill), but I'm able to pull ~2.2K dps more than a similarly gear hunter (same gearscore, if that means anything). I've been told shadow priests would NEVER be on top of charts, then why am I half the time? (I'm not trying to say I'm a god, or that others suck, I'm really trying to figure out why...)

Someone has an idea?

Re: Priest on top 'total damage' chart?

Trash dps is unimportant last time i checked.

I did say "trash aside I'm still on top half the time"... ofc I'm always on top WITH trash, but I actually don't want to compute this into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep
    Trash dps is unimportant last time i checked.
    This. In raids downing the boss fast is what matters. Shadowpriests, Chickens, and sometimes Unholy DKs are always going to dominate large trash pulls, due to the nature of their aoe spells.

Btw, don't say that you're never going to be top dps...in my 10 man our shadowpriest is consistently first or second on dps.
    Speculaas of <The Forgiven>, Terenas-US

"Who do I belong to? Not earth, not world, not evil, not mortals, not wretches, not horrors.
    Who do I belong to? Unchanging, Unbreaking, Unfailing, Creator, Immortal, Eternal."
    * - "To Sand We Return", Project 86

10+ Year Old Account

you,ll do massive damage with mindsear on trash mt8ie but on a straight up fight if you and the hunter are similer geared he,ll probably beat you over all you,ll beat him etc.

i,m finding it myself when i go on teh trash i pull massive dps but the tanks are good and they keep teh packs nicely together for aoe etc. but on a boss i pull about 8k overall dps on 25 mans no buffs than normal etc (no fight mechanics buffs).

you,ll do loads of damage on the trash and that,ll keep you going nicely overall for the rest of teh raid icc has small trash packs but large in numbers and health aka dot dot dot spam mindsear msot other raids dont have that kind of healthpool to actually give you a decent ramp up time to dps effectivly.

and btw my shadow preist class leader is 4th on dps right after the 3 retridins and the warrior with more weapons than rambo.so a shadow preist can easily finish in the top 3 dps me i finish a lowly 6th lol.
    Faith Manages

Well, on bosses, I beat that similarly geared hunter by ~2.2K dps... so... he needs help? I basically beat every range dps, except something versus a mage, that's pretty much the only class able to beat me. Again, I would expect *every* other pure dps classes to beat me, but it isn't the case! What's wrong here? (again, not about trash, forget trash, I'm talking about versus bosses)

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG
    Well, on bosses, I beat that similarly geared hunter by ~2.2K dps... so... he needs help? I basically beat every range dps, except something versus a mage, that's pretty much the only class able to beat me. Again, I would expect *every* other pure dps classed to beat me, but it isn't the case! What's wrong here? (again, not about trash, forget trash, I'm talking about versus bosses)
    It does depend slightly on gear, don't forget. Granted, this is probably not the case. If you're sitting fully decked in 264 gear whilst your other DPS is sitting in 245 max, it's possible. Otherwise, this shouldn't happen. Not in current content.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Azeroth
    If trash was unimportant, it wouldn't be there in the first place.
    If it wasn't there it would be ToC, and ToC was pretty universally hated.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury
    If it wasn't there it would be ToC, and ToC was pretty universally hated.
    Toc was "universally" hated (which isn't true at all btw) not because of the lack of trash but because of the lack of, well, fun. Concept of the instance was fine, lack of trash was amazing, but the bosses lacked coolness or uniqueness for the most part. The first boss was three enlarged models of typical NPCs. Second boss was a pretty straightforward, unpunishing fight. Third encounter was not a PVE encounter at all although it was definitely interesting to get one shot by the Warrior or DK in TOGC if it gets close to a clothy. Really only the Val'kyr offered anything interesting as Anub was essentially a bigger version of his 5 man fight.

@OP: SPriests are dominant when they can multi dot. Go look at the LK meters on WOL. Almost all the record spots are held by SPriests because they can multi-dot and do amazing damage. Also, trash DPS doesn't matter, stop looking at it.

wow you people need to learn to read.
    he said on bosses he beats everyone even the PURE DPS class hunter which is a PURE DPS and DAMN NEAR SAME GEAR LEVEL.

i have a hunter so maybe i can help is it every fight you beat the hunter or just fights with alot of movement. also is he specced and gemmed right. does he run out of mana cause of lack of judgment of wisdom. i would need more info to figure out why you are beating him buy so much.

15+ Year Old Account

Shadow is not the "lol" DPS spec it once was in the past. On my priest (who is dualspecced shadow) I went from doing about 4-4.5k DPS in ToC to now doing about 6.5-8k DPS, and all of that thanks to haste working with VT and DP.

If an affliction lock can top a meter, so can a shadow priest. They're basically the exact same thing (speaking form the experience of a priest that has played shadow AND a warlock that has played affliction).
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Azeroth
    If trash was unimportant, it wouldn't be there in the first place.
    notice how he said trash dps
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by biggredd
    wow you people need to learn to read.
    he said on bosses he beats everyone even the PURE DPS class hunter which is a PURE DPS and DAMN NEAR SAME GEAR LEVEL.

i have a hunter so maybe i can help is it every fight you beat the hunter or just fights with alot of movement. also is he specced and gemmed right. does he run out of mana cause of lack of judgment of wisdom. i would need more info to figure out why you are beating him buy so much.
    It was easiest to see the part where he said he pulls 32-33k on trash rather than read the rest. If he is beating a Hunter by the 2.2k he claims that Hunter must be tremendously bad lol. Spriests aren't miserable by any stretch of the imagination, but they shouldn't even be in the same realm as Hunters on single target.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by conscript
    @OP: SPriests are dominant when they can multi dot. Go look at the LK meters on WOL. Almost all the record spots are held by SPriests because they can multi-dot and do amazing damage. Also, trash DPS doesn't matter, stop looking at it.
    They're there because of Mind Sear and Power Infusion. There are multiple phases that lend themselves to Mind Sear very well. There generally isn't much need for straight mult-DoTing.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript
    Spriests aren't miserable by any stretch of the imagination, but they shouldn't even be in the same realm as Hunters on single target.
    THANK YOU! Finally someone answering me plain and simple. So, if on ANY boss, I beat a better geared lock (by ~1K dps) and a similarly geared hunter (by ~2.2k dps), they are not being very efficient... Thing is, I don't play those classes, guess it's gonna be hard to make them realise... this is sad, in a way.

I really dont get the point of this thread.
    Our spriests pull 10-11k dps most fights.

However it all depends on the fight when comparing DPS with the other pure dps classes such as hunters.
    Our hunters are usually top, sometimes mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    I really dont get the point of this thread.
    I've been told OVER AND OVER priests would NEVER be on top of charts, that's why I'm questioning my chart standing. If now it's normal and quite welcomed to see priests in top of charts, then I'll get with the program and consider myself a "pure dps" class.

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG
    I've been told OVER AND OVER priests would NEVER be on top of charts, that's why I'm questioning my chart standing. If now it's normal and quite welcomed to see priests in top of charts, then I'll get with the program and consider myself a "pure dps" class.
    If all the players are good, no, spriests shouldnt be beating hunters.
    If that's the answer you're looking for.

Shadow Priests do okay on trash, but if you're beating a Warlock, or Feral Druid then they're bad. Plain and simple. And yeah, Shadow Priests can break 11k DPS on quite a few fights and even higher on some. The issue isn't them, it's the rest of the raid. I know it's easy to feel good about yourself for topping meters, but keep in mind that it can just as easily imply that your guild as bad as it can imply that you are good. My friend is in a guild where he's consistently the top DPS as Shadow. He only pulls ~8k DPS. Is he good? No, he's okay, but not great by any stretch and he knows it. He's just in a very casual guild and happens to be better than the other people he raids with.

Right now in general: Feral > Arcane > Combat > Assassination > Marks > Affliction > Fury > Fire > Demonology > The rest.

If you're beating anyone except Shaman, Moonkin, Arms Warriors, BM Hunters, Destro Locks, etc... then there's a very good chance that they're bad.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    If you're beating anyone except Shaman, Moonkin, Arms Warriors, BM Hunters, Destro Locks, etc... then there's a very good chance that they're bad.
    Then... F*CK! :'(