Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

frost dw tanking vs frost 2hand tanking

what is best for a frost tanker dw ore 2hander? current using 2hander

Re: frost dw tanking vs frost 2hand tanking

its mainly a personal preference.

i recomend using 2h - and respecing to blood
    if you would have to use dw, then, i beg you, just dont use tanking weps, use dps ones for you need them to maintain aggro properly
    edit: i dont know a worse nightmare with my healer than frost dk tanks with 2x Rimefangs Claw

For frost. Its DW no other way.

Like said before if you want to use a 2h wep then respec blood.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Frost DW. Never EVER go 2h frost tanking.

I also strongly recommend going 2h blood, for that is the superior tanking spec. I'm not sure why so many people decide to go frost.

And if you MUST go frost DW (which i do not suggest) please do NOT use two fast weapons. two SLOW dps ones are always superior.
    I 3d print stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood
    I also strongly recommend going 2h blood, for that is the superior tanking spec. I'm not sure why so many people decide to go frost.
    VB is the only reason and thats a VERY small reason...

2h frost tanking and DWing tank weapons both generate poor threat that will cause mobs to be ripped off of you by any DPS with a pulse.

e: will of the necropolis is awesome, and why you should be blood tanking.
    e2: and bloody vengeance is a major threat boost

10+ Year Old Account

DW frost. And I advise you to stay frost, since blood - while slightly superior in the survival department - is only slightly superior, yet, it's a horribly boring and awful spec to play.

Frost is fun, and works just aswell. Though, you will have to steer clear of tanking weapons, and resist the temptation to join the Band of the Bads.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    DW frost. And I advise you to stay frost, since blood - while slightly superior in the survival department - is only slightly superior, yet, it's a horribly boring and awful spec to play.
    While I agree that DW Frost is more fun, saying that Bloods survivability is only slightly better is the understatement of the year.
    Fact is, Bloods survivability (due to it's self-healing capability) is Sooo much better than Frost that it's not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith
    Fact is, Bloods survivability (due to it's self-healing capability) is Sooo much better than Frost that it's not even close.
    Its already been shown many times that the extra mitigation etc in frost equals out blood self healing.

this thread is just made of fail.

if you're trying to choose bw dual wield and 2 hand frost, it comes down to point allocation. with the change to the IT threat modifier and the rime fix, you are free to go 2hand to free up some points and usually give you some more hp, or you can choose to stay DW.

any other post above me is stupid and ignorant except for Adox. what i typed up is all you need to know.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith
    While I agree that DW Frost is more fun, saying that Bloods survivability is only slightly better is the understatement of the year.
    Not really, no. The higher health and self healing is about equal to frost's increased mitigation. The main difference is VB and WotN, the latter which hardly ever procs in normal ICC, and is only really useful in the very minority of fights.

VB, while awesome, makes blood only slightly better, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairyzac
    if you're trying to choose bw dual wield and 2 hand frost, it comes down to point allocation. with the change to the IT threat modifier and the rime fix, you are free to go 2hand to free up some points and usually give you some more hp, or you can choose to stay DW.
    While threat won't be an issue either way, you can tank with a level 1 weapon too (been there, done that, pulled 10k+ TPS, sustained over a whole Toravon fight), you really don't want to. It's the same with 2h frost. You can do it, but you'd do much better if you went DW.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Not really, no. The higher health and self healing is about equal to frost's increased mitigation. The main difference is VB and WotN, the latter which hardly ever procs in normal ICC, and is only really useful in the very minority of fights.

VB, while awesome, makes blood only slightly better, I'm sorry.

While threat won't be an issue either way, you can tank with a level 1 weapon too (been there, done that, pulled 10k+ TPS, sustained over a whole Toravon fight), you really don't want to. It's the same with 2h frost. You can do it, but you'd do much better if you went DW.

you have no idea what you are talking about. stop spreading misinformation like the other bads in this thread please. do it on the WOW forums or something.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

any other post above me is stupid and ignorant. what i typed up is all you need to know.
    "usually give you some more hp"

Too bad the only +stam talent is in deep blood.

VB is the only reason and thats a VERY small reason...
    And the only 'tanking' CD which turned out to be more of a dps cd is UbA in the frost tree? Most people should already be close to the armor cap in high-end gear, so adding a little bit more won't help. It'll also get hit by diminishing returns quite hard.

Its already been shown many times that the extra mitigation etc in frost equals out blood self healing.
    Frost really doesn't have much more mitigation. 2% DR, and 3% miss really isn't much.

I 3d print stuff

10+ Year Old Account

you have no idea what you are talking about. stop spreading misinformation like the other bads in this thread please. do it on the WOW forums or something.
    Please do educate me how much more blood is superior. I can see VB, and that's about it.

any other post above me is stupid and ignorant. what i typed up is all you need to know.
    Doesn't change the fact that 2h threat generation is significantly lower than DW. When Threat of Thrassian was added strikes had to be nerfed in damage output to compensate for the double hit effect. Hence why everyone says 2h frost is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by kerwyn
    Doesn't change the fact that 2h threat generation is significantly lower than DW. When Threat of Thrassian was added strikes had to be nerfed in damage output to compensate for the double hit effect. Hence why everyone says 2h frost is dead.

And where exactly did I say that DW threat was not higher? No where. Not sure why you even took the time to post as it changes absolutely nothing about what I said.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood
    And the only 'tanking' CD which turned out to be more of a dps cd is UbA in the frost tree? Most people should already be close to the armor cap in high-end gear, so adding a little bit more won't help.
    If by high end you mean full 277 gear, then probably. But that that point, your spec won't matter, since you've already killed everything, didn't you?

Also, in high-end gear, and 10% ICC buff, and higher soon... what use is there for higher health, when you aren't even close to dying? None.

If you think of UbA as a more of a dps CD, you probably can't use it properly, anyway. It's not like VB, which you pop when shit hits the fan. You pop it often, for extra mitigation.

It'll also get hit by diminishing returns quite hard.
    Actually, that's not quite so. I would advise you to read http://www.wowwiki.com/Armor, and consider the findings therein (especially the part about effective time to live).

Frost really doesn't have much more mitigation. 2% DR, and 3% miss really isn't much.
    By the same logic, 3% stamina and 15% damage reduction once in a blue moon isn't much, either.

And where exactly did I say that DW threat was not higher? No where. Not sure why you even took the time to post as it changes absolutely nothing about what I said.
    Except there's actually no reason to go 2h, the extra points amount to absolutely nothing and give up a large amount of threat.

10+ Year Old Account

Threat, however, is a non-issue. You can keep threat with a level 1 grey weapon if you want to. By not going DW, you're giving up a truckload of damage, and that is what makes a difference.