Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

PoH Changes in Cataclysm

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "Overpowered" AE Spells in WotLK
    Priest (Forums / Talent Calculator)
    Prayer of Healing
    We'd like to change PoH too. The challenge there is making it not feel like CoH.

[...] Right. I mentioned this in another thread today, but you have a few broad options: either PoH heals the 5 most injured folks (in which case it's a lot like Circle) or it heals the whole raid (in which case it's likely overpowered or not useful enough) or it has a longer cooldown to compensate for the previous (in which case it's a lot like Divine Hymn) or it heals the target and the 4 closest targets (in which case it's like old CoH).

It's a goal to get it to not be group only. It's just a tricky goal. At the very least it's not as bad as Tranquility since you don't have to decide what group the priest is in ahead of time. There are spells that still suffer that restriction, and we'd like to change them too if possible. (Source)
    This is something that I think has been a long time coming and I fully expect to finally happen in Cataclysm. As such, I'm interested in discussing what the best way to modify PoH to remove the group specific mechanic without making it either OP or mostly just a copy of other spells. So here's a few idea that I've had; they aren't necessarily good idea, but they're a place to start

1. It essentially becomes CoH with a cast time and no cooldown. It could possibly be balanced further by making the radius smaller so the main balance is target selection. Or simply having be kind of cost prohibitive (much like it is now, but obviously worse in Cataclysm), such that casting it more than a few times will pretty much put us OOM.

2. It could become a bit more like Chain Heal by reducing the number of targets it hits to 3-4, likely reducing the radius to something similar to CH or CoH, but being different by being a radius around the target rather than chaining.

3. It could be a small radius true AOE with unlimited targets but does a set amount of healing (sort of like the new Healing Rain Shaman spell). For instance, it might split 20k healing over all targets in the radius evenly.

4. It could essentially become CoH as it stands now, probably with a cast time instead of being instant with a CD, and rework CoH into a ground targetable AOE, or a Priest centered AOE heal (kind of like Holy Nova meets Healing Hands).

5. Like the last suggestion, make it like CoH now except with a cast time, ditch CoH and replace it with a talent akin to Nature's Swiftness so we can use it on the new PoH to get similar functionality to how CoH works now, with also the added benefit of being able to use it on Heal or GH for some nice single target burst too.

What do you all think?

Re: PoH Changes in Cataclysm

I'm honestly hoping that it goes in the direction of a Chain Heal type spell, keep the cast time but focus on getting the most healing out of a cluster of people. Reducing the mana cost would also be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurii
    I'm honestly hoping that it goes in the direction of a Chain Heal type spell, keep the cast time but focus on getting the most healing out of a cluster of people. Reducing the mana cost would also be nice.
    OMG THIS PLEASE.
    <3

hmm... this will be interesting. I agree PoH is not a great spell in its current form but I can't see just changing it to "CoH with a cast time". So our rotation would be "instant CoH, cast CoH, cast CoH, instant CoH"?

What about changing PoH to a new spell: combine the ideas of ProM and CoH = target produces an AOE effect heal when target takes damage? There's nothing in the game like it now.

An excellent topic, been thinking about it almost all day

We all agree that Party-wide PoH sucks, so cooking up a new PoH is a worthy endeavour!

--

First, I'd like to take a detour to look at what such a heal should actually do. think of it as a requirement specification.

- Need to be a Multitarget heal (half the point)
    - Targetting around 5 people (not more)
    - Non-smart targetting (not automatically chosing targets based on min HP)
    - Covering a Large area (that's half the soul of PoH tbh)
    - No cooldown! (really. I'm sick of cooldowns)
    - Need to feel powerful (PoH is supposed to be a manadump powerhouse. You don't cast it unless you mean it)

--

So.. .what we have is...

Chosing N targets based on lowest HP
    Failing the "not smart" requirement
    CoH / Chain Heal in a nutshell. Already shot down - "Priests have too many smart heals". Also, extending CoH isn't going to happen. We (holy) already have CoH - if they wanted us to have more of it, they'd lower the cooldown. Also: having two spells doing the same thing is pointless. If they really went this path, CoH would be all but useless.

Chosing N targets based on proximity
    Failing the "large area" requirement
    You pick a target, and the closest targets get healing. That is unfortunately breaking the spell in many ways. The best thing about PoH is its massive range. By chosing the nearest targets, you are basically killing that strength completely. Furthermore, it's not really guaranteed that the nearest people are actually needing healing; and if everyone is clustered up, the spell is then all but useless.

Affecting the entire raid
    Failing the "powerful" requirement
    Failing the "target ~5 people" requirement
    Making PoH raidwide is just as GC says - it won't work. Either the healing is too good - or it won't heal for enough (but still make priests meter whores). I don't see much use for a heal healing 1000 HP every 2.5 seconds. Even if you are hitting 25 people with it and doing a silly good HPS (10000) as a result, you're not doing anything useful to the raid welfare.

Adding a cooldown to offset such a raidwide PoH being powerful is also as GC says - won't work. That's Divine Hymn. We don't need two of that spell. If we do, we can lower the cooldown of DH by half.

Affecting all targets in a target area
    Failing the "large area" requirement
    This is basically what the new healing rain is doing. I don't think we'll get Healing Rain; most shammies will be mad if that happens. Also; such a spell need to be offset by having a very small area and a sharp cutoff if hitting many targets. I can see Holy Nova being changed into this eventually though - but not PoH.

Paladins also got something like this - healing hands. it's basically a location-based heal centered on themselves. Same limitations. Lightwell was shot down when we suggested it doing this. I don't think we get a spammable version.

Line-based healing
    Blizzard added a line-based dps spell. Why not try the same with healing: healing everything between yourself and your target. That gives us a nice subset of healing, encourages learning 3D field vision instead of staring at the bars, and it could still cap out with diminishing returns if it hits too many.

But - It's exploitable by proper positioning, probably more so than a shaman healing rain or a paladin healing hands.
    It's also better befitting the shaman's "wave healing" style. This heal should really be a shaman heal.

Multiple-single-target-in-one aoe healing
    Prayer of Healing has a large cast time. Why not let the priest do something in the long wait?
    Basically, while you are casting PoH, you can instantly off-the-gcd "select" 4 more unique targets. When the inital cast time is up, the chosen targets are healed. The priest is 100% in control of what to heal, and basically gets to chose targets by healing them faster than the GCD allows.

Downsides: Sucks for people with bad internet (that last target never seem to land in time), sucks for blizzard due to the extra server traffic, extremely hectic (you try chosing 5 good targets in 2.5 seconds), arguably not an AoE heal.

Preselect targets
    This is basically a variant of the beacon, working for PoH only. You buff up to 4 raiders, which will be healed by PoH. The fifth target is your actual target.

Downsides: Long setup time, low flexibility.

Healing Box Fingerpainting
    Just something completely different: set up healing markers, the markers cover an triangle area, everything in the area gets a heal. Once.

Downsides: Needlessly complex to set up (3x GCDs), too easy to exploit, areawise.

Healing based on last targets healed
    PoH basically unconditionally targets the last 5 targets you healed.

Downsides: Very unintuitive with renews, ProMs and CoH's going on, messing up the rotations. Even disregarding that, it's not often you want to heal a raider twice in a row. A tank yes, but not a raider.

Chosing N random people
    The game could chose some random targets for you. You don't get to chose who to heal beyond your initial target, and you don't even have a guarantee that the chosen targets are hurt.

Downsides: Very unpredictable, hard to rely on. Still smart, just in a very dumb way.

Healing based on rythm
    5 random people always light up (including bars, or given a buff only you can see, or something like that),
    PoH healing the ones selected when PoH is cast. Time it well!

Downsides: Very uncontrollable as the lights may not match your desires. Identical to Healing random targets in a fast paced action game, and thus smart in a dumb way.

Healing based on a visual minigame
    When casting a PoH, you get a minigame popup. Basically a 2 second "think fast" game, where your speed / quick thinking ability decides how good / which targets you will chose.

Downsides: Sometimes you really want to run out of the fire instead of watching minigames. And by sometimes, I mean often. There's a reason healers don't watch TV while raiding.

Multiple spell versions
    Order your raidframes in a 5x5 grid. Employ 8-10 different PoH's healing in various patterns originating from your initial target.

Downsides: As if priests don't have enough to memorize. Not enough hotkeys
    Upsides: Could actually be a bit fun.

Healing based on incoming heals
    Chose randomly/whatever based on targets not currently being healed at the time of casting
    Downsides: They typically will be healed at the end of casting. Also, this is a smart heal.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

A very nice post Danner, and I agree that setting some sort of requirements makes sense. I agree with most of your requirements, but I think some of them ought to be flexible. Obviously, it has to be multi-target, I think it should be powerful (I like the mana dump idea akin to the new Greater Heal, but AOE), and it shouldn't have a cooldown. I think we really should be more flexible about more of the others.

Targetting... I agree that we don't need another smart heal like CoH, which is why most of my ideas involved trying to find a difference between them, but there's lots of ways to include decisions by the Priest. How can we get the current sort of decision in choosing a group, where we'll seldom make full use of the heal, but that's okay because it's so freakin' powerful? The other important part that sets it aside from a spell like CoH is that I know EXACTLY who it is going to hit when I begin casting it, CoH may be deterministic in it's target choices, but it's not easy to know who it's going to hit when I press that button, even with cluster detection. Clusters, ground targetting, positioning of the Priest, or some pro-active target selection are all possibilities. For instance, I like the idea of using the long cast-time in some way, but it has major drawbacks in situational awareness and the simple fact that no other healer has that sort of drawback and it'd be very latency dependent and potentially make healing even more wack-a-mole. Worse, if Serendipity sticks around, or something similar in Chakras, or simply having too much Haste could ultimately be counterproductive, which is odd. Is there perhaps some way we can combine these factors to get a similar feel to what we have now?

I also don't think that the 5-targets can't be flexible in a way of making it involve more decision making. For instance, if we went with active targetting, we get a set amount of healing that the spell will do, and it's spread evenly over the targets we select during the cast. In this method, we could pick 3-4 targets and it would be akin to Chain Heal and nice for random spike damage, or would could select more and use it in a manner akin to a CoH with a cast time. It would just have a minimum number of targets (so it would be a waste on 1-2 targets). This would also help with the latency problem where, if you have lag, you just won't be able to select lots of targets, but you could still make some use of the spell. And in the case of Haste not allowing you to select as many before it casts, it essentially just makes each target you select healed for more since you'd be casting it more often.

Or as a bit more of a thought experiment, what if we gave it a dynamic cast time, possibly including a dynamic manacost to go with that. I'm not quite sure how you'd implement it, but you pick a target and based on how long you spend casting, the area around the target gets bigger, and then you either smart heal within that area, possibly having more targets or healing for more if you spent longer casting or just being more like Healing Rain with a dynmaic radius and throughput.

Danner - just wanted to pop in and say that that's the best post I've ever seen on MMO champion.

Very well thought out, cheers to you.

I personally think that they should make CoH a 'special' targetting spell, where even if you target an enemy with it, it still goes off at that point in space (It already works this way, only it can't be cast on enemies, which is silly, because it doesn't always heal the target anyway.).

Then, PoH becomes a localized AoE with a decent radius (Greater than holy nova), that is more mana efficient than holy nova, but has no damage component, and a limited number of heals.

Danner, it was a well-written post, but at the end of it was basically "all the good ideas have already been done. All other ideas are too cumbersome or not practical". I didn't get the sense you really had any good ideas about how they could really improve PoH without piggybacking on existing spells. I can't say I think otherwise.

Yeah, that's really the problem, cruxxy. I really warped my head for ideas here, but there wasn't really any of them that struck me as "good". And yes, that was pretty much the conclusion. I can't think of anything better. I hope someone else can. But I doubt GC & his team will.

--

Line based healing or multiple-version-pattern PoH is probably the best of the lot, but the line version isn't PoH - it's a completely different heal. And the pattern part, well... imagine having these seven heals (or more)

Prayer of Healing (group) - heals the target's group

OOOXO
    OOOXO (example, targetting g4)
    OOOXO
    OOOXO
    OOOXO

Prayer of Healing (sequential vertical) - Heals the target plus the next 4 people in the raid vertically

OOOXX
    XXXOO (example, targetting player 1 in group 4)
    OOOOO
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

Prayer of Healing (sequential horisontal) - Heals the target plus the next 4 people in the raid HORISONTALLY

OOOOX
    OOOOX (example, targetting player 3 in group 4)
    OOOXO
    OOOXO
    OOOXO

Prayer of Healing (cross) - Heals the target plus the one topleft, topright, bottomleft and botttomrigth to your target in a 5x5 raidframe grid.
    OOOOO
    OOXOX (example, targetting player 3 in group 4)
    OOOXO
    OOXOX
    OOOOO

Prayer of Healing (plus) - Heals the target plus the one top, bottom, left and right on the grid relative to your target
    OOOOO
    OOOXO (example, targetting player 3 in group 4)
    OOXXX
    OOOXO
    OOOOO

Prayer of Healing (Left Chess Knight) - Heals your target, plus each of the raidboxes in a chess like pattern
    OXOOO
    OOOOX (example, targetting the center player)
    OOXOO
    XOOOO
    OOOXO

Prayer of Healing (Right Chess Knight)
    - Heals your target, plus each of the raidboxes in a chess like pattern
    OOOXO
    XOOOO (example, targetting the center player)
    OOXOO
    OOOOX
    OXOOO

I'm not even sure how/if that wraps well. And not everyone is into a 5x5 grid healingframe setup. Some organize raidframes by different means. And frankly, priests already have like 14 heals. Getting a ton of different patterns isn't going to help anyone. And thus the idea falls.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

After thinking this over.
    It kind of concerns.
    One, the reason I like prayer of healing at time is because you can CONTROL who it heals.
    If this turned into another smart heal, Id kinda dislike it in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    Prayer of Healing
    We'd like to change PoH too. The challenge there is making it not feel like CoH.

[...] Right. I mentioned this in another thread today, but you have a few broad options: either PoH heals the 5 most injured folks (in which case it's a lot like Circle) or it heals the whole raid (in which case it's likely overpowered or not useful enough) or it has a longer cooldown to compensate for the previous (in which case it's a lot like Divine Hymn) or it heals the target and the 4 closest targets (in which case it's like old CoH).

It's a goal to get it to not be group only. It's just a tricky goal. At the very least it's not as bad as Tranquility since you don't have to decide what group the priest is in ahead of time. There are spells that still suffer that restriction, and we'd like to change them too if possible. (Source)
    This is something that I think has been a long time coming and I fully expect to finally happen in Cataclysm. As such, I'm interested in discussing what the best way to modify PoH to remove the group specific mechanic without making it either OP or mostly just a copy of other spells. So here's a few idea that I've had; they aren't necessarily good idea, but they're a place to start

1. It essentially becomes CoH with a cast time and no cooldown. It could possibly be balanced further by making the radius smaller so the main balance is target selection. Or simply having be kind of cost prohibitive (much like it is now, but obviously worse in Cataclysm), such that casting it more than a few times will pretty much put us OOM.

2. It could become a bit more like Chain Heal by reducing the number of targets it hits to 3-4, likely reducing the radius to something similar to CH or CoH, but being different by being a radius around the target rather than chaining.

3. It could be a small radius true AOE with unlimited targets but does a set amount of healing (sort of like the new Healing Rain Shaman spell). For instance, it might split 20k healing over all targets in the radius evenly.

4. It could essentially become CoH as it stands now, probably with a cast time instead of being instant with a CD, and rework CoH into a ground targetable AOE, or a Priest centered AOE heal (kind of like Holy Nova meets Healing Hands).

5. Like the last suggestion, make it like CoH now except with a cast time, ditch CoH and replace it with a talent akin to Nature's Swiftness so we can use it on the new PoH to get similar functionality to how CoH works now, with also the added benefit of being able to use it on Heal or GH for some nice single target burst too.

What do you all think?
    NO WAY. I love Prayer of Healing is powerful, intelligent and fun to play, all of your suggestions will make the spell boring, overpowered or a copy of another spell with cooldown. Prayer of Healing restrictions make the spell fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    Prayer of Healing

What do you all think?
    If they are going to change it to your idea of having it a set radius with unlimited number of people wouldnt that make it a true Circle of Healing? Displaying a circle on the ground and heals everyone in it... right now the graphics for CoH looks like a pray sort of thing its not a circle :X

Anyway on to my point RIGHT NOW PoH is a CoH just with a cast time and a restriction to the party (That is the only difference) and removing the party restriction doesn't make more like CoH than it is now. Your just removing a stupid mechanic that never should of been there in the first place. They are going to have to revamp it 100% to not make it like CoH.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros
    NO WAY. I love Prayer of Healing is powerful, intelligent and fun to play, all of your suggestions will make the spell boring, overpowered or a copy of another spell with cooldown. Prayer of Healing restrictions make the spell fun.
    There is that one person who will defend a bad mechanic.

If I am in a 10 man raid as a disc priest and group 1 has 3 people who have taken damage and group 2 has 3 people taken damage I wil have to cast 2 PoH to aoe heal them all which is not needed AND NOT FUN. TBH I think you are being sarcastic are just trying to pick a fight.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Sorry, I like the party-wide nature of PoH as well. I don't want my spellbook dumbed down into smart heals. Nor do a want a new CoH. PoH should stay a party-wide spell. It's one of the few things about Priests in Wrath that does have a good feel to it and does require some thought to use. Blizz keeps talking about wanting healing to be harder, then suggesting ways to make healing easier. It's getting pretty old.

Reasons I like PoH as is:

(1) I like being a Swiss Army Knife (or an iPhone/Droid for those who are too young to have grown up in a non-PC world). Got a damage pattern? I've got a tool (app) for that.
    (2) Just because a spell is situational, doesn't mean its bad. Its only bad if it is the only spell you can/choose to cast. I'm not looking for a one button win (BC CH/3.0 CoH).

Reasons I do not like PoH as is:

(1) Requires a RL to organize groups in a way that is PoH friendly (i.e.- melee groups & ranged groups). Not a huge deal, but something that isn't blatantly intuitive.
    (2) By itself, it is dreadfully slow. It almost always requires a secondary mechanic to be viable in the current raiding environment (BT or Seren).

Now, as is, I seriously doubt anyone can argue that PoH is in anyway "Overpowered" relative to current damage patterns. It is a powerful tool, but it isn't beacon, and it certainty isn't a rejuv blanket. A priest who casts PoH a whole lot will find himself OOM and with dead raiders on his hands.

So, why do they want to "change" PoH for Cataclysm? The same reason they are going to change beacon. Mana conservation will be at a premium, health pools will be larger, and folks are going to be under 100% health for longer periods of time. Now, if an entire party is injured @ 75%, and is not going to be healed to full within the next 2-3sec, PoH becomes the most powerful raid healing tool in the game (yes, even over chain heal, because of its 45 yard radius and over rejuv because of efficiency [EDIT: when I say it is more efficient than rejuv, I mean on a target that was once at 100%, but now at 75%. Rejuv blankets will become prohibitively expensive in Cata]). Nothing will beat it for efficiency, power, or range.

My predictions:

(1) PoH remains as is, but eventually becomes a prohibitively expensive spell to cast often (more so than even now)
    (2) PoH remains as is, but coefficients reduced, again
    (3) PoH removed

My recommendations:

(1) Personally, I'd like to use it in beta without a significant change to see how it works with the new "healing environment."

(2) However, if they are dead-set on a change, this is what I would like to see. A Prayer is, stylistically, a call for assistance from a higher power. It also conjures the image of introspection & selflessness.

(a) Perhaps PoH could become a long channeled ability that increases healing done to all party/raid member by X%. No cooldown, moderate mana cost.
    (b) Or a new mechanic that when PoH is cast, all party/raid members are healed by a small amount while their healing received increases by X%. By casting PoH, the priest is temporarily weakened and is unable to cast spells for the duration of the PoH buff. Medium CD (3-5min), moderate mana cost.
    (c) PoH becomes a "mana free" cooldown. For Xsec, all healing spells cast are have their mana cost reduced by 100%. Medium CD, no cost.
    (d) When PoH is cast, a Wrathful Spirit Healer appears (complete with angry eyebrows) and MCs all raiders who are at or below 50% health. The MC'd players will then use the fastest possible means of transportation to the nearest Lightwell, click it, get healed to full, and then emote "Hey! That wasn't so hard!"

I'm sure we all can agree that PoH is a fun spell to use, especially in 10man. Followed by a circle heal, it is an excellent combo, especially in 25mans when casting burst charged PoH's + CoH on melee groups or stacked ranged groups.

Concerns:
    Serendipity seems as though it would clearly be re-worked especially with the acknowledgment that Holy is starved of talent points.
    - The idea is neat but clearly something you will not unload constantly, it can be very mana intensive.
    - The idea is also spec Dependant, it's utilization varies depending on many factors.

Instant or Cast
    (again Serendipity comes to mind)
    I personally agree it must have a cast time. It is a bomber spell that can be primed for incoming raid-wide damage.
    COH IS INSTANT, we are priests not druids. Come on now!

Group Heal - Raid-wide Heal - Proximity Heal

-It should not be a proximity heal considering we already contain the exact mechanic on the spell which Holy is primarily based around, CoH.
    -I'll agree for sure that it being a group heal definitely needs a change.

Which leaves us with Raid-Wide Heal:

-Consistent with the priest Jack-of-all-Trades mindset.
    -Expands possibilities and options.
    -With a similar range to a Beacon of Light.
    -Say a 60 yard range,
    -Hits 5-6 targets upon cast completion (smart-heal),
    -Similar cast time (maybe lower or talented),
    -Updated mana cost or talented.

THE KEY

It's after effect:
    Currently your only option is to glyph for an after effect to HoT each person it heals.

-I'm considering more of a reverse consecration. Yes pali's have dreamed of it for years!!
    -This would compliment Disc's PW: Barrier
    Why priests? Life grip: what a combination. (maybe, if OP, have PoH and Life-Grip share a CD)
    -This mechanic is how the entire spell would be tied together because it would not seem like the same exact spell just raid-wide, or channeled to be so similar to Divine Hymn, yet gives significance to how the spell is used on the raid. Cast-on-Target, like CoH except with a consecrate-like after effect.

Cooldown

If the spell was re-worked this way it would require a cooldown, obviously. Maybe one that lasts the same or a few seconds more than the after effect. I also agree with a cooldown needed based on the idea of wanting all healers to be casting multiple filler spells. It could also allow room for a large mana reduction.

Really though. What PoH is is a raidheal.

Give it a cooldown, and that point is gone.
    Then we're left with no real raidheal when push comes to shove.
    It's already a problem due to the manacost. I don't think it's a boon to increase the problem.

Imagine Ulduar without PoH...

You could also not have a cooldown and reduce the mana cost, but then you'd have to reduce it's overall effect significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Imagine Ulduar without PoH...
    The PoH we had then doesn't exist anymore. :P

The point is still valid though: PoH is a high cost, high risk, high reward filler spell. It's exactly the type of thing Blizzard should be working more towards, not working away from. PoH on live is great. It's strong, but can't be blindly spammed. It's exactly what Blizz claims to want.