Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How Lightwell SHOULD work.

Yeah, I'm sure there's been a bajillion threads on this already, but I've had this little idea for how Lightwell could be made into a non-useless spell.

Lightwell

Summons a Lightwell on the targeted area for 30 sec. Heals nearby allies(15 yards sounds fair) for 1952 to 2508*. Once you have been healed by Lightwell, you may not receive another Lightwell heal for 10 seconds. Lightwell may only heal every 0.5 seconds.

10 Charges.

2 sec cast time. 2 min CD. 1200 Mana.

*This is the same amount as Binding Heal.
    Essentially, it's just like the enemy Priest's Lightwell in Trial of the Champion.

The 10 second cooldown prevents you from doing something like putting it next to a tank and having it just heal them over and over. Or from abusing it in Arena in the same way. It also ensures that 10 different people get healed.

It could also be like a shorter-CD "OH SHIT!" button, seeing as the only "OH SHIT!" button Priest has is Divine Hymn, on a massive 8min CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Re: How Lightwell SHOULD work.

Lightwell radiates heals from itself, almost like a Healing Stream Totem. It has a short range, but a long enough duration that the priest can cast other heals while Lightwell remains active. 15-second cooldown. 6-second duration

10+ Year Old Account

GC specifically stated they want there to be some interaction required. It won't be a Healing Stream Totem or ToC Lightwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury
    GC specifically stated they want there to be some interaction required. It won't be a Healing Stream Totem or ToC Lightwell.
    As long as there's interaction required, it'll be a useless spell/talent. =/ DPS don't want to have to work to heal themselves, they think "I just dps, healers will heal me, I don't need to do anything other than DPS to stay alive". So unless they make some REALLY healing-intensive fights, I don't see the normal Lightwell being used very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Only if the interaction is on the raid side, instead of the healer side. If it requires healer interaction there are plenty of solid implementations. If it's on the raid side it will always be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    As long as there's interaction required, it'll be a useless spell/talent. =/ DPS don't want to have to work to heal themselves, they think "I just dps, healers will heal me, I don't need to do anything other than DPS to stay alive". So unless they make some REALLY healing-intensive fights, I don't see the normal Lightwell being used very often.
    Then those dps are stupid and deserve to die.

I Loved the normal Lightwell when I was dpsing. I'm typically a tank, but for the few months I was arms, I loved when Lightwell was layed down. My mindset is "the healers are busy with the tanks and other important people in this fight, I'm only melee dps so I have to do my best to make the healers job as easy as possible. Hey look someone layed something down which will heal me if I click on it and its perfect timing too cuz I can't melee this guy anyway due to WW / Bonestorm / other dmg spell keeping from the boss."

Anyone who doesn't see the uses of a lightwell or doesn't utilize it in most fights is just blind.

Not true, at all. Healthstones work pretty nice.
    The main problem with this is that when you click it, it changes your target. If it didn't do that it woudln't be half the annoyance it currenlty is.

Another idea: The lightwell buffs you. If you go below 30% HP, it triggers, and starts healing you. Then you can use it before the fight, too, while still being useful mid-fight.

The "make it a healing stream totem" ideas should just go away, as stated by frmercury, GC explicitly said it WILL NOT be a smaller radius healing totem or toc lightwell.

And yea, you can't just blame the spell for people being too lazy/stupid to click it.

Quote Originally Posted by wasniahC
    The "make it a healing stream totem" ideas should just go away, as stated by frmercury, GC explicitly said it WILL NOT be a smaller radius healing totem or toc lightwell.
    mostly because they just gave that to paladins

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    Yeah, I'm sure there's been a bajillion threads on this already, but I've had this little idea for how Lightwell could be made into a non-useless spell.

Essentially, it's just like the enemy Priest's Lightwell in Trial of the Champion.

The 10 second cooldown prevents you from doing something like putting it next to a tank and having it just heal them over and over. Or from abusing it in Arena in the same way. It also ensures that 10 different people get healed.

It could also be like a shorter-CD "OH SHIT!" button, seeing as the only "OH SHIT!" button Priest has is Divine Hymn, on a massive 8min CD.
    Meh, I think lightwell is fine. It just requires competent players who are willing to sotp the PEWPEW dto heal themselves. However, that isnt many people.

"Fate has made us enemies...But this ring will make us brothers." -Gravemind to the Master Chief and the Arbiter, (Halo 2)
    "Were it so easy" -The Arbiter (Halo 2,3)
    "That is the worst grenade throw ever, of all time" -Agent Washington (RedvsBlue, season 6)
    <3 Caboose

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by wasniahC
    Not true, at all. Healthstones work pretty nice.
    The main problem with this is that when you click it, it changes your target. If it didn't do that it woudln't be half the annoyance it currenlty is.
    This.

Not only that, it will reset your swing timer which is a dps loss.

i'd like lightwell better it if looked like :

lightwell
    17% base mana, 3mn cooldown

creates a holy lightwell. friendly targetss within 15 yards of the lightwell gain the "surrounded by the light" aura. Each time a target with the "surrounded by the light" aura gets healed by a priest direct healing spell, he also receives the "touched by the light" buff which consumes a charge from the lightwell. this buff increases priest direct healing spells critical strike chances by 1% and increases priest healing spells criticals bonus by 10% on this target for 10s. this buff can stack 5 times. lightwell lasts for 3mn or 30 charges.

i believe this could help at both raid and mt heal. my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes
    i'd like lightwell better it if looked like :

lightwell
    17% base mana, 3mn cooldown

creates a holy lightwell. friendly targetss within 15 yards of the lightwell gain the "surrounded by the light" aura. Each time a target with the "surrounded by the light" aura gets healed by a priest direct healing spell, he also receives the "touched by the light" buff which consumes a charge from the lightwell. this buff increases priest direct healing spells critical strike chances by 1% and increases priest healing spells criticals bonus by 10% on this target for 10s. this buff can stack 5 times. lightwell lasts for 3mn or 30 charges.

i believe this could help at both raid and mt heal. my 2 cents.
    I like this idea, a lot. However, that bonus seems a bit weak. How about, something like, 3% more healing recieved, stacks up to 3 times, only affecting that priests heals, and lasts 15 seconds? People who move away from the lightwell will lose this buff quickly. Consider it the holy priest's version of grace. Yes, disc priests have one that can only be on one target at a time. But consider this. Disc priests single target healing is superior to a holy priest's raid healing. And you can't just let 1 person in the raid get a buff that only affects a raid healer.

People who move away from the lightwell will lose this buff quickly.
    30 charges sounds good, too. That would help balance it against grace, as well.
    This needs some interaction, positioning of the lightwell from the priest, positioning with the players and the lightwell, too.

well i thought it shouldn't be too great of a buff considering it's still a 31pt talent.

the point of my suggestion is to make crit more appealing to holy, as well as making them more viable in mt healing since in this kind of scenario, charges would be fairly enough for the priest to benefit of his lightwell (unless the mt has to move too far from it).

i'm not a number crushing maniac so i didn't want this to look op either for a first throw.

also, letting other healers benefit from the buff would be wrong imho. i just can't imagine the crazy numbers a healadin would be able to pull with this + gs etc.

letting the buff improve the priest's healing spells alone seems ok on the other hand.

Fundamentally, Lightwell in its current form isn't great but isn't absolutely terrible. It's a big heal and there are many times when a DPS can easily spare a GCD to pick up a big heal. Think about Blood princes for example. How huge would picking up a big HoT while you're running to the new target, especially in hard mode?

But it is such a unique mechanism that people are not willing to embrace it. And even if it's a good idea, if people are too stubborn to change, does that mean the idea should be trashed? Most of us say yes. WoW has been saying no.

That being said, I would love to see it give an aura effect or provide some other complex utility. It doesn't really fit into the "fun" category of spells they keep talking about

@ OP:

They have specifically said, several times, that they will not be making lightwell like the one in ToC, so it's not the best suggestion.

They are not going to make it a "totem" where you drop it and it automatically heals. They have said this much. If you are going to post suggestions about it, a better bet would be making something unique, not just a copy/paste of an already existing NPC ability.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Theprophecy2186
    Then those dps are stupid and deserve to die.

Anyone who doesn't see the uses of a lightwell or doesn't utilize it in most fights is just blind.
    Let me put it like this:

It's the only heal that requires DPS / Tanks to stop DPS / TPS to receive. It's simply not viable in so many cases to lose all that DPS or TPS. The positioning of it can be quite bad as well: fights where you could potentially get the most use out of it are Aura fights and / or have tons of movement. There's generally not great or long lasting places to put it that would allow <=1 GCD downtime for the user.

I'm quite certain that people doing Hard Modes in ICC are not yelling at their raiders to click the Lightwell, lol. If that's stupid, well, shit I don't really know what to say about that.

If they were going to implement it as anything make it a HoT-style Healthstone. Something you can pick up (Mote of Light?) and map on an action bar and use when you need it. That I could see being very successful. "You're out of range of me, live!" "That's fine I have my Mote of Light still."

Quote Originally Posted by Frmercury

10+ Year Old Account

imo

Places an Uncharged Lightwell with 1/50000 health in the tageted area. An Uncharged light well will absorb overhealing. When the Light well reaches at least 15000 HP you are able to click it to Unleash 40% of the its health as 6 second hot to 5-7 people in the raid. last 3 minutes 3 minute cool-down. using a charged light well will destroy it.

at least thats my idea

Hi I'm switzer I'm here to derail your thread by topping your idea and make lightwell not suck ALL IN ONE POST HOT DAMN

Here you go babes:

Lightwell:

The priest creates a well of light on the ground 10 yards around himself with X amount healing power stored in it (modified by your spellpower) lasting for 30 seconds. The three lowest people standing in it are healed for X every second until the Lightwell runs out of healing power.

The Lightwell also smites any enemies standing in it for X amount of damage every second until the lightwell dissipates.

The priest may also consume the Lightwell giving their next heal Transcendence, adding a HoT to their next direct single target heal that heals for the amount of healing power left in the Lightwell over 10 seconds

2 minute cooldown
    A bit of clarification for the nitpicky and slow. Lightwell would heal 3 people maximum standing inside of it, perhaps modified by the amount of people that need healing (for example if one person missing health is in it it would tick normally at 100%, if two are in it each heal tick would heal for 50%, 3 people 33%) As long as it is active it would do damage (not restricted by any reserve of power)

This would synergize incredibly with Life Grip plus it's ability to be consumed would give priests a moderate OHSHIT button. (compared to the pretty giant OHSHIT button that GS is)
    Plus the damage would help make PvP holy priests viable (something blizzard has repeatedly stated that they are trying to do for Cat)

You're welcome my children.