10+ Year Old Account

Is some PVP gear good for Tanking??

Hi im new to the whole Druid tanking game been playing a prot paladin for a while now and decided i want to try druid tanking

Pretty much the title says it all ive seen a few Druid tanks in my Server with Like PvP Bracers capes boots and i seen quite a few with the Arena Staff for tanking

so is it good to try an get some PvP gear for tanking and why?

Thanks for all da help

Re: Is some PVP gear good for Tanking??

You sacrifice some TPS since the offensive stats are often traded for resil, but you tend to also gain stam. There is no hit on T10 anyways, so you aren't missing there, and you already get a ton of expertise, so losing some when you're over 30 won't matter significantly compared to survival on the big fight that matters, LK.

Quite sure the frost badge cloak is far superior though, due to the armor and having more potential stam.

i used the 264 PVP bracers because they dropped for me in VoA, because they were better than what I had, until I got Toskk's.

The only viable options are the belt, boots and bracers. Because they all have both Agility and Stamina, which are the bread and butter of bear tanking. As others have said, this is providing you are hit / expertise capped.

If your good enough to be able to obtain the PVP weapons through 3v3 or 5v5 then the PVP weapons are almost best in slot outside of ICC hard modes, they have a ridiculous amount of stamina and ample Agility on the wrathful ones. That and they still have sockets! The only thing you wont find on them is Expertise.

But as you mentioned, you've seen some druids wearing the Cloak and Neck. These are not good options at all, they provide nothing but stamina, you get no agility, no + Def (Which actually is useful for bears, even though we're already crit immune) and no + dodge. Rendering the neck and cloak almost useless, and the same obviously goes for the rings.

Not much to add. If you can easily acquire the Wrathful feet/waist/wrist they will help you out a lot while you wait for the few drops that are better, or in the case of the feet save up to get Footpads of Impending Death crafted. Other than the weapon (which is crazy good), the other PvP pieces aren't particularly good unless you're just starting out and have an abundance of honor to burn.

-Thedrun

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

I say stick to the pve gear for pve and pvp gear for pvp.

wrathfull weapon would be good, either than that you will need the agi from tanking gear so you have some avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond
    The only viable options are the belt, boots and bracers. Because they all have both Agility and Stamina, which are the bread and butter of bear tanking. As others have said, this is providing you are hit / expertise capped.

If your good enough to be able to obtain the PVP weapons through 3v3 or 5v5 then the PVP weapons are almost best in slot outside of ICC hard modes, they have a ridiculous amount of stamina and ample Agility on the wrathful ones. That and they still have sockets! The only thing you wont find on them is Expertise.

But as you mentioned, you've seen some druids wearing the Cloak and Neck. These are not good options at all, they provide nothing but stamina, you get no agility, no + Def (Which actually is useful for bears, even though we're already crit immune) and no + dodge. Rendering the neck and cloak almost useless, and the same obviously goes for the rings.
    as far as the cloack goes, depends on what u had before and what u can get ofc, could very well be an upgrade. though not an exelent one
    Quote Originally Posted by nium
    [size=10pt] Devs: Our nerfs will block the sun.
    Druids: Then we shall tank in the shade! ...[/size]

The 270 PvP gloves are very good because of their stamina
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=51426
    Especially since they can drop from Toravon they could easily be best available until 264/277 gloves become available to you.
    / ztanz
    <Nice picture with my armory for Elskling on Ragnaros>

Quote Originally Posted by ztanz
    The 270 PvP gloves are very good because of their stamina
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=51426
    Especially since they can drop from Toravon they could easily be best available until 264/277 gloves become available to you.
    Even the 251 t10 gloves would be better though, if they give you a set bonus.

In general the PVP gear is relatively good to use until you get better PVE drops. I can't think of a single piece that doesn't have a clear upgrade that is relatively easily obtained in ICC. Except, of course, for the weapons as several others have posted.