Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Demo lock. Help me spend my frost badges.

People put a lot more emphasis on rdps gearing than is needed. You should not be sacrifising 4k dps to get another 60-100 spellpower from spirit. Also, if you're pugging you aren't going to last very long with pure rdps gearing. I'm gearing for affliction, so don't armory me to see what to do for meta, but you should not forsake all other stats for spellpower/spirit like some meta locks I know. But yeah, people are right about the belt/chest and such. I haven't looked at meta stuff in a few months but I believe Sanguine robes are still BIS.

People exaggerate way too much. You are not going to give up 4k DPS. Check the values on Spirit versus Crit for pure personal DPS. You're talking about something like 1.3 vs 1.36 at most gear levels. That means if you switch 600 Crit for 600 Spirit you'd lose 36 DPS. The difference in personal DPS between pDPS gearing and rDPS gearing is extremely small. The difference in personal DPS between pDPS and rDPS BiS gear is less than 200 DPS. The SP gain is close to 500.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    People exaggerate way too much. You are not going to give up 4k DPS. Check the values on Spirit versus Crit for pure personal DPS. You're talking about something like 1.3 vs 1.36 at most gear levels. That means if you switch 600 Crit for 600 Spirit you'd lose 36 DPS. The difference in personal DPS between pDPS gearing and rDPS gearing is extremely small. The difference in personal DPS between pDPS and rDPS BiS gear is less than 200 DPS. The SP gain is close to 500.
    I'm not talking BIS rdps vs BIS pdps. I'm talking people who forsake all other stats, and yes it can lead to 4k dps less. A GOOD lock who is gearing for rdps will not lose that much dps at all, but there is a lot of misconception about "raid dps" gearing for demo. It's not "Get as much spell power as possible while forsaking everything else" like some people seem to think it is. The BiS lists still use intelligent gearing for rDps, but I've seen a lot of locks who do not.

Bad rDPS setups are pretty rare. :P It's actually pretty hard to make a bad rDPS set as long as you keep this rule in mind: SP > Hit (to cap) > Spirit > Haste > Crit.

There is no way to keep maximizing spellpower and also lose 4k DPS, by the way. You're just exaggerating and spewing crap.

Again, if you trade 600 Spirit, for 600 Crit you lose about 36 DPS. If you trade 600 Spirit for 600 Haste you lose about 180. You're pretending that Spirit is a bad stat for personal DPS when as Disc it absolutely isn't. You gain .7139 SP per point of Spirit.

Common scale factors for Demo -not- counting additional casters: SP = 2, Haste = 1.6, Crit = 1.36, Spirit = 1.3.

So what is 4k DPS? 4k DPS = 2k SP, 2.5k Haste, 2.9k Crit, or 3k Spirit. There is no way for you to lose that much. You'd literally need to be swapping in T8 gear to see that kind of loss. It's not going to happen.

Taking Adionis armory (Tarutak), he posts in at 11,705 DPS. Not bad. Raid buffed SP = 4,331. Now let's switch all the bad pDPS items! Switching to Sanguine Silk Robes, Frozen Bonespike, Sundial, T10 legs, Ossus, Turned Champion, Brimstone Igniter (yes, the badge wand), Memory of Malygos. Now as this is not 'fair', I also reduced your 264 helm to 251 to compensate for the item level gap on the chests. Result is.... 11,682. You have lost a grand total of 23 DPS. However, you have through these settings also gained 150 SP. Another 15 SP to the raid. The average scaling for caster DPS is about 1.7. This means if you're in a 10 man group and there is only a single caster while you personally will lose 23 DPS, they will gain an average of 25.5. This means rDPS Demo is ahead with a single additional caster. If you have two then you're now 50 ahead.

Don't pull magical DPS losses out of your ass. With BiS gear the DPS gap between rDPS and pDPS is larger than at lower levels of gear. At lower levels of gear the DPS gap between the two is so much smaller than the absolute distribution that you will never, ever notice the difference in DPS between pDPS and rDPS. And that's for personal DPS. You're talking about a tenth of one percent difference in personal DPS gained in exchange for nothing but lower raid support.

pDPS is idiotic. It's only useful if your main spec is Afflic, or Destro and there's no other Lock around. If you think pDPS is a good idea then you should just admit that you'd rather be Afflic and get it over with.

seeing as im a moron and bought all the wrong gear im just gonna stay affliction. I had no idea at the time that I would be going demo as I was spending my frost badges. Oh well

Deleted

circle of ossus is the better choice also for affliction

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor
    circle of ossus is the better choice also for affliction
    yeah well at the time i needed hit rating when I bought the belt. Wasn't thinking ahead. Oh well just 60 badges.