Deathwhisper Randomly Frostbolting People

This week in some attempts on Deathwhisper 25 heroic, we've been having some issues with people in melee range of her getting hit with the single target frostbolt.Something different that we do is that we have a DK in frost resist gear ranged tanking her. The reason for ranged tanking (as I'm sure people will ask) is because her threat reduction ability only works in melee range, so using this strategy means both of our other tanks can be on adds full time in phase two. I'm staying on her full-time in phase two to tricks the DK tank so he can keep threat, but as I said, I keep getting random single target frostbolts. It happens at least once an attempt, and is definitely not threat based, as I've had it happen within 15 seconds of vanishing, and even while tricks of the trade is up. Is anyone else using this strategy having similar issues? The only cause I can think of is that if she doesn't hit anyone with the threat reduction ability for a certain amount of time she starts randomly frostbolting.

Re: Deathwhisper Randomly Frostbolting People

Why not just use 1 tank on adds in phase 2 :| ? Then have 2 tanks full time on the boss ? Only 3 adds spawn at a time and the casters dont even really need tanking. Doesn't really answer you question but I think you are just making things harder for yourselves trying to do it that way since it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Why you have tank whit frost resi???? you just need to keep 2 interrupters on boss all the time in phase 2 to do interruptions and none of those frostbolts get through

From the sounds of it, that sounds like Blizzard's clever way to keep the tank in melee range, as opposed to cheating the encounter by ranged-tank-Icy-Touch-spamming? C'mon, before they make Icy Touch melee-range only and y'all ruin it for everybody else.

I can in no way confirm this, but, well, based on the way you're describing what's happening...

Maybe the frostbolt is meant to be cast on the one that is tanking her - ie should be within melee range, so if your tank is at range then your melee are gonna bite a frostbolt!

like someone said above, just have one tank on adds, its really not that hard im usre one add picked up one side in phase 1 each so they tank their adds then run across meaning 2 tanks on boss

if you have a dk tank probably best to let him tank the adds too so that they can detahgrip casters to where they need to be,

Quote Originally Posted by zahoan
    about what class to play, i see players here are giving advices:
    mage - i donno how it's high lvl but my mage of lvl 30 is with a lot of downtime for mana(mages are like irish warriors, drink fight and drink and fight)

The frostbolt is cast on whoever has the most threat. If dps are getting it then they are going above the tanks threat without pulling aggro.

Well first have a paladin with Frost aura up, preffer with Aura mastery becuase when u activate Aura mastery all current auras have a 100 % effectness.
    Normal frost ress aura have 130 ress when u activate 260 but only do when people fail at interupts.

One more thing u can do is a unholy Dk with Anti magic shell, or paladin with Divine Sacrifice to share damage from party members ( not raid ).
    This is what i know from a paladins Pov :P
    And btw every class has survival abbilitys just use it at the right time
    but best is to put 2-3 rogues or warrior, DK on Interupting job

GoodLuck

when I done it with my guild we had 2 rogues on the boss and all melee hunters on the 3 adds,"frost traps is really important if u using kiting adds and zerging the boss,But ye pretty much it the trick is to control the ghosts and MC ppl by instant cyclone,I remember we wiped on 5% just cuz 2 ppl blow up 2 ghots at the same time and we had 12 ppl dead lol

Ranged tanking LDW sounds kinda stupid, we've had druid tank it alone (some times even DK), 2 rogues on boss having a interrupt rotation, hunters using MD on CD and when someone gets close on threat we use salvation on them or they use they're own threat reduction (which almost every class has nowadays), shouldn't be a problem.

There is a bug with the frostbolts. If it happens in your case more often you might want to look in your strategy like others said but it actually happened to us once as well. Keep in mind this was ONCE in many attempts and around 10 25m kills by now.

In this kill movie of us, you will see her targeting Vethox (fellow rogue) at around 05:58, cast a single Frostbolt at him and continue to beat on the tank. If you have a look at Omen to the right side you will see he is not even remotely close (as in not even visible in Omen) to either of the 2 tanks we have on the boss. I know it's kind of hard to see in this interface but try looking for the target frame!
    We have yet to understand why this happened and ruled it out as a bug.