PVP mm, agi/crit/arpen?

Hi, I'm experiencing a little issue that I'd like some opinions about regarding BG/Arena.

Thing is that I'm running MM with agi, agi/crit or agi/sta -gems in my gear, and that worked well in the low bracket of arena and when people didnt have a shitload of resilience. Now (ofcourse) I'm not critting as much or as hard due to all res everywhere (obviously).

What I'm thinking is that perhaps I should swap out the off-end pieces where I use the agi/crit version of the Wrathful (like neck, cloak, rings) and get something with agi/arpen as I figured the overall dmg will (ofcourse) hit harder. It *will* lower my crit-chance even more and thus my burst could suffer a little bit but I still feel that "the crit is wasted a bit" compared to arpen as arpen normal dmg isnt affected by resilience...?

Is this completely retarded and I should just stack crit even more to compensate for the opponents resilience or is it viable to swap out crit for arpen? (I have about 48% crit and 250 arpen rating atm). Or is it even so that a good mix between them is the best way to go?

If I explained like a nutsack, it's coz english isn't my main language... but I hope someone can read between the lines and see what I'm trying to figure out and help me! :P

Re: PVP mm, agi/crit/arpen?

hmm... either it was a horribly stupid question or too complex...?

perhaps I'll have to take it to AJ and getting laughed at there instead... :/

Go for crit, is not retarded.
    You don`t need arp for pvp, and if you go with pve neck/ring/back in a bg you will get hammered very fast.

there is no need for arp

go for agi and agi/crit
    AND
    spellpenetration 3x 25 or 2x25 plus cloakenchant should do

Itemization on the neck, cloak and rings are pretty poor imo. I would get the frost badges cloak, wodins lucky neckalce (boe) and the ashen verdict ring. The pvp items have 0 agility on them, which is pretty poor, am happy to sacrifice being at 1.1k resi to be nearer 900 and have more punch and rely on positioning more so.

Then depending on how you are feeling could use the boe ilvl 264 boots and the frost badges waist(has some hit if you need it). Either way ArP plays very little role and isnt worth gemming for ever, doesnt hurt to have some on your gear, but isnt essential. Some people like to be using Spell pen gems/enchant also, which I would highly recommend for ur burst.

Yeah, I suspected as much but wasnt sure! Thanx for the replies!

I got all the frost-stuff I need, all crafted priomordial gear, wodin and such so I'll re-check my gear to make it 100% agi/crit and dump all arpen completely. Guess that even with all res on people, the amount of crits > higher basedmg (arpen).

Thanx again!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't have a hunter myself, but I do know that crit is very good. But crit is also effected a lot by resilience, making it much less effective against high resilience targets.

ArPen can be either good or bad for you, depending a bit on what you focus on in arena (2v2 or 3v3), and what setups ya run. In a 3v3 with another physical dps, for example, ArPen might be less effective since you'll most likely nuke the low armor target anyway.

yeah.. that was what I was concerned about and the reason for my question. I'm running 3vs3 with a very strange comp (we dont mix/max as we play for fun with the chars we prefer) but I still wanna perform as good as possible with my hunter ofcoz. The others are a holypally and a boomkin...

The problem is exactly as you say, now when we're starting to face ppl that bounced around 1800:ish, the resilience on them is way higher than the people we met back at 1200 (no wonder) and my crits are not as regular plus they hit for 30% less dmg basically.... That's why i wondered if putting in some arpen would help in pushing out more dmg or not (at the cost of a bit of burst).

But I suppose going full agi/crit is still the thing.. most ppl say that all basically all hunters that are high in rating roll that way...

Armor Pen is bad for PvP, stop being a PvE hero. Someone mentioned something about Spell Penetration up there (I didn't really read) I just wanna say spell pen is for survival. If I understood correctly this guy is MM.

As far as dmg goes yeah as you go higher obviously ppl will have better gear and have higher skills at surviving or playing defensively and landing a kill will be harder, this is part of the game, it just means you're playing against better ppl and you need to get better yourself at setting up and helping each other out to land a kill.

Having some PvE offset gear will probably help but try to get straight up agility, crit and AP gear. Try to avoid gear with haste/armor pen so you can really maximize the stats gained from the PvE gear. As long as you keep about 800 or 900 resilience you should be fine. Hunter survivability doesn't come from gear anyway.

I do wanna point out, however, that gear will not just boost you past those teams. It is very possible to obtain 2400 in full PvP gear.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Quote Originally Posted by Gotjuice
    Armor Pen is bad for PvP, stop being a PvE hero. Someone mentioned something about Spell Penetration up there (I didn't really read) I just wanna say spell pen is for survival. If I understood correctly this guy is MM.
    I know it's against the rules, but this.

Read this.

READ IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

I've got a question with regards to spell pen and being MM: does it reduce the chance your traps will be resisted? Only bothered about freezing trap really, but it's something I've wondered about for a long time.

No, spell pen doesn't affect traps at all which is totally retarded but lets just not get into that.

-Huainy

Close, but spell pen is good for marks too... chimera, srs and arcane shot are all necessary parts to burst damage.

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=145196

for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks
    Close, but spell pen is good for marks too... chimera, srs and arcane shot are all necessary parts to burst damage.

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=145196

for more info.
    I've played marks and surv and with surv i saw portions of my ES being resisted it has never happened with chimera but i'll look into it.

-Huainy

Both parts of chimera are 100% nature damage. so yes spell pen is part of marks pvp builds.

Hunter pvp gear has very little armor pen on it, and armor pen is not a great stat until you have quite a bit. therefore it is not efficent to try to stack it for pvp sets..

As for spell pen, yes your serpent sting, arcane shot and chimera shot are nature, so they are effected by spell pen, I use the cloak enchant for spell pen, and 2 blue spell pen gems. giving me a total of 85, and with the 85 spell pen, I gain more damage through removing some of the resistance to my shots than I would from the 62 agi I am sacrificing. both survival and marksman should get a little spell pen for pvp, bm doesnt need it.

No, spell pen doesn't affect traps at all which is totally retarded but lets just not get into that.

Cheers. Certainly explains a few things.