Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest dungeon leveling

Hello , I got a Priest at level 52 that I'm going to level through dungeons, and for fast queues I'll go healing.. But, Holy or Discipline?

Re: Priest dungeon leveling

I'm doing it as disc (lvl51atm), it's pretty nice , shield tank , go afk for 30sec,....

+power infusion looks nice

Thanks , Will try it. Guess I'll just try both, then I know myself what I'd like to level as ^,^

Disc is great for levelling Not only can you literally pre shield , throw some renews to keep everyone topped off , you can also put out some nice dps (smite, penance, holy nova) power infusion is also great I'm not a fan of holy, but I know many friends who enjoy holy, maybe try both see what you enjoy most?

Goodluck^

shadow
    healing as a non-healing spec will force you to pay more attention to make faster/better judgement calls and be more efficient with your mana. by the time you're hitting northrend dungeons (or turn 80 if you're really good) you can respec and will be a badass healer.
    Do your best
    Expect the worst
    Enjoy the mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Error302
    shadow
    healing as a non-healing spec will force you to pay more attention to make faster/better judgement calls and be more efficient with your mana. by the time you're hitting northrend dungeons (or turn 80 if you're really good) you can respec and will be a badass healer.
    YEAH, ONCE U HIT 80 U WONT KNOW HOW TO UTILIZE KEY TALENTS/SPELLS.
    THX FOR THE BAD TIP.

I had no trouble with Holy for early dungeon leveling, but I did have to drink after every few pulls. I switched to Disc at 48 (I think) once I had 3/3 Rapture. From 48 to 60, I never drank in an instance. Honestly, its almost too easy. I pre-shielded tank and then ran into the aoe pack spamming Holy Nova.

Once I hit TBC content, I actually had to pay a bit more attention to other group members as newer players are so spoiled from the Vanilla content that they don't understand simple mechanics of fights (i.e. avoid fire, mushrooms, void zones etc) and you actually need to be conscious of your healing. Still, as Disc, I almost never need to drink as my mana regen is fantastic, shields use limited mana and last a long time and upon a shield breaking, I get mana back. I highly recommend Disc!

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Since I am doing this currently I will add my advice. I would roll DISC if I were you.

I just started playing again since being out since the end of TBC and have been healing as DISC the entire time in instances. Nearly to 75 in a little over a week's time and getting tokens I can spend when I hit 80 to get a free T9 piece.

With Disc you can ensure that the group keeps running endlessly. I've had tanks that have equal or less HP than I did(was wearing full 70 pvp gear) and have had no problems keeping up with them.

Just make sure your spec if logical and use your skills well. I don't pre-bubble myself. I toss a PoM on the tank, let him run in and burn it, take another hit and then bubble. The Glyph of PW:S heals him for the damage that hit did and I sit there waiting for the bubble to fail so I can PoM him again and then PW:S one more.

With the haste bonuses, crit bonuses, and the power of a Glyphed Penance I don't see Holy comparing at the lower levels. I only see holy as better for end game raiding, but that is talking from theory and no experience so feel free to disregard that opinion.

Armory Link in Signature Block if you want to check out my spec at current.

Check the spec do as you will.

GL and enjoy.

I've said this in other threads in this forum, and I'll say it again here: Level as the spec you think you will want to play as at 80. You'll learn more about the situational uses of your abilities and get an early taste of that spec before you waste any more time with it.

I knew I wanted to play discipline when I rolled my priest, so that's what I've been since day one, and I can't say much about how Holy compares.

Discipline is a really nice spec for early level dungeons. As for glyphs I definitely recommend http://www.wowhead.com/item=42408 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=42411 in your first two Major slots that open up. Put three points in the Renew talent in the holy tree to really make the second glyph worth it.

Once I got to level 50 I found myself throwing out more and more flash heals so at that point I bought a respec, took the three points back out of Holy, and changed the Renew Glyph to http://www.wowhead.com/item=42400.

Just hit 60 today! Loving Penance =)

Edit: I just re-read. Obviously you are past lvl 50 already! >.< I got carried away in my enthusiasm for discipline. Maybe another lower level priest will find this useful.

Discipline. Penance is ridiculous OP 60-69 especially. I don't agree with the above, though. Renew is useless as disc. You'll almost always overhealing by a ton with it, especially in 5mans. Stick to penance every CD, and pre-shield everyone for rapture mana returns. When those are on CD, throw some flash heals. Renew is seriously pointless in this context. You're not raid healing as holy, so drop the renew talent and glyph. Switch the glyph renew to flash heal imo. best glyphs for 80: flash heal, pw:s, penance.

And besides any of that, discipline is FUN AS HELL. Isn't that what's important anyway?

I am thinking of buying some BoA gear and leveling a priest.. I'd probably like to be disc, but my last dungeon-healing alt was trashed around 28.. I couldn't stand doing Gnomeregan like 15-20 times in a row - it is the dungeon of choice for soooo many levels -.- goddamn!
    Would shadow work for 10-30 or so? I've just read that shadow is not really efficient in those earlier levels and a holy spec for: holy fire + smite, is best..
    Anyone more experienced with priests have an idea of how to come around this barrier? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi
    I am thinking of buying some BoA gear and leveling a priest.. I'd probably like to be disc, but my last dungeon-healing alt was trashed around 28.. I couldn't stand doing Gnomeregan like 15-20 times in a row - it is the dungeon of choice for soooo many levels -.- goddamn!
    Would shadow work for 10-30 or so? I've just read that shadow is not really efficient in those earlier levels and a holy spec for: holy fire + smite, is best..
    Anyone more experienced with priests have an idea of how to come around this barrier? :P
    I healed/dps up to 40 with a smite build and had no trouble with either. Interestingly, I never got Gnomer once on the LFD tool. In fact, it is the only dungeon in the game I have still never seen.

My similar thread was locked. So I'll post what I posted there, here.

So I recently made a similar thread in the Paladin forums, which turned out really great. I got a lot of help there.

I was hoping the Priest community would offer the same to me.

So just after I started leveling that paladin again, my friend wanted me to invite him to WoW through RAF. So now I'm leveling a priest. We've just reached level 15 and I want to start leveling in dungeons. I figure the fastest way to queue is as a healer. I've read a few threads saying that Disc is the easiest healing spec while leveling and I agree. Yet I tend to make poor calls when it comes to talents, and since it costs to change them, I'd like the have a clear path to follow in that regard.

What I'm asking for is:
    -A cookie-cutter disc healing dungeon spec, and,
    -The general method of healing (ie. what spells to use).

I'd really appreciate this information, and I'm excited to start healing. Thanks in advance.

PM Signature Requests: Closed / Queue: 0 / My Work! / Tutorial!

Deleted

THIS is the standard, cookie cutter disc spec. The 8 points spread around Divine Fury, Holy Specialization and Spell Warding are pretty interchangeable, but for levelling I would stick with where I have put them.
    While rapture [i/is[/i] good for mana returns, then main draw of disc healing while levelling is the efficiency of penance. Heals for more than a greater, for not much more than a flash, plus the fact that you get an instant heal out of it.
    Get the glyph as shield as soon as you can. Glyph penance as soon as you get it, you will keep both those glyphs at 80. The shield glyph might be interchangeable for Holy Nova if you want to spam it a bit, but thats really your choice. Does not make a massive difference.

Penance the tank. If anyone is damaged, they take priority. You will probably find a lot of time when your shields are holding to throw out some DPS, but still be careful with your mana. Keep throwing our prayer of mending. On AoE fights, it will be your top healing spell, which isn't bad for a fire-and-forget spell. Other than that, flash heal as filler, unless three people are damaged, then it is better to use a prayer of healing.

Go disco bro, so much more mana friendly and easier to keep the tank up! on high AoE encounters you can just preshield to make up for the diminished AoE healing compared with Holy

also if you have access to it the Endless mana potion from Alchemy is good fun! just use it every time you drop combat and you will probably never need to drink if you are using SF on CD and have enough gear with spirit/int on it
    Cemetary - Holy/Disc Priest | Quiteconfuzd - Arcane/Fire Mage | Torden - Feral Druid

I levelled my priest from level 15 to 80 using only the dungeon finder, and it quite awesome.
    As many before me has mentioned, with a disc spec you can keep going nonstop throughout a whole instance without calling for mana breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamora
    I levelled my priest from level 15 to 80 using only the dungeon finder, and it quite awesome.
    As many before me has mentioned, with a disc spec you can keep going nonstop throughout a whole instance without calling for mana breaks.
    haha me 2 dude I leveled my 2nd priest to 80 that way also.. i really dislike questing
    Cemetary - Holy/Disc Priest | Quiteconfuzd - Arcane/Fire Mage | Torden - Feral Druid

15+ Year Old Account

While disc may be easier for leveling, be sure to respec to holy at lvl 80 though. Disc is damn boring in a raid environment.

Go disc without any doubt.

I have been disc since level 10, leveling mainly through dungeons, but questing too. at 40 dual specced and tried shadow. To my surprise i do around the same dps on disc too, sometimes even more than shadow spec (this depends on the length of the fight, if the fight is short disc has burst to outshine even most dps, whilst shadow needs time to build up the dps, also disc will oom quickly).

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...m&cn=Nefertite

i was actually looking at the dps meters on boss fights as shadow dpsing and when i'm healing and dpsing as Disc. as Disc all you do is throw a shield on the tank and then dot up and nuke with holy fire>Mind Blast>Smite>Smite>holy fire>mind blast the result is you kicking the ass of all the dps in the group (some start to rage at you for dps'ing and doing more damage then they do) don't forget to use fade, cause you will pull aggro (don't forget to use Power Infusion for 20% haste and 20% less mana cost). If you aren't dpsing as disc you will never oom as all you do is shield and go afk, or on larger pulls shield and a few flashes before reshielding

for solo leveling i recommend getting spirit tap as disc if you don't have dual spec mind you if you are gonna solo level quite a bit, shadow is better as you will never oom

p.s. make a macro for warriors who rage at you for shielding them as according to them "i don't get rage if you shield me". This is BS since that was fixed in patch 3.1.

Just curious... After healing as Disc with relative ease through the TBC content, I attempted to heal UK in the Howling Fjord last night and it was a bit of a disaster. I'm at 70 with mostly TBC dungeon blues and a few WoLTK quest rewards (I think about 650 unbuffed Spellpower). The group seemed ok with a 71 DK tank. However, he took massive damage on almost every pull. In the pull before Prince, I lost one DPS and almost lost the tank. We wiped on Prince and I bailed due to lag from my buddy playing C of D 2 on the Xbox. Anyway, I know that lag was one problem as Healbot was struggling to keep track with actual damage. However, the fact is, the DK tank was taking a ton of damage and I was struggling to heal through it. My general strategy is pre-sheild and cast PoM and then heal with flash/penance as necessary.

My armory link is below. Did I just have a shit group (low dps and bad tank) combined with lag or is my gear off? strategy? I figured at 70 I would have no trouble healing the basic WoLTK instances.