Thread: Holy gemming

  1. #1

    Holy gemming

    http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...ne&cn=Doomwish
    Hi, I started playing with my priest again a few weeks ago after a few months break and I need help with gemming.
    I read the stickies and tips, but I'm still not sure :/

    I always see priests with bigger mana pools than me, they have around 30k mana raid buffed and I'm thinking is it really worth it?
    they gem for pure int in yellow sockets and every alot of sp + int or haste + int. One thing I noticed is after the fight I had 20k mana left and he had around 7k mana, I used shadowfiend and I'm pretty sure he used it too.

    anyway, I have alot of doubts about my gems right now and I need your help.(the gems in my chest are when I played my priest a few months ago no idea why I gemmed for 23 spell power.)

    One more thing, I think that my healing style isn't that great, I always see priests top healing is 1. renew 2. CoH or ProM 3. ProM CoH always
    so I changed my style to use only renew when people get a small hit.
    I am not sure who to use ProM on, I use it on the tanks because atleast I know it will get 1 jump, if I use it on dps usually they don't get another hit anyway.
    About PoH and CoH, I use CoH after PoH or if I see a melee group getting damage.

    btw, do you guys bother to heal the tanks in 25? atleast with renews or you just ignore him?
    and about the T10, do I need to get 4 pieces or just to use 2 T10 2T9?

    so I need you guys to help me with the play style and about my gems.
    I really need help because I have so many things I'm unsure of :s
    Thanks alot,
    ~Dennis
    edit: Any suggests on what potions should I use? and when to use them? and anymore tips about anything else would be great.

    Shielding your life since 2007 yo

  2. #2

    Re: Holy gemming

    The 30k mana raid buffed is just purely them having better gear then you.
    Taking a gander at your gear you're still using ulduar pieces.
    Your gemming is perfect, dont change it.
    When you feel your spellpower is getting really high. (Which it isnt at the moment), gem more haste.
    If you're not running into mana problems, gem sp/haste.

    Prom doesnt matter on who you use it on, just someone that is taking damage, however tanks are a great source Prom bouncing.

    Most of the time, my healing on tanks will be keeping renew up as holy, maybe a flash heal or greater heal if its ever needed (Festergut)

    However, most of a holy priests focus is raid healing.
    You dont necessarily ignore the tank, you just keep your renew buffer while you worry about your primary job which is raid healing.
    General raid healing as holy priests these days consists of getting all renew talents and renewing the raid, sort of like a resto druid as your filler between CoH, Prom.
    You dont always have to use surge of light procs when they're up.
    Sure its free mana heal, but if you need to worry about PoHing a group, do so first.

    Basically you need to pay attention to whats going on in the raid, what to expect next, and how you want to react to said situation.

    Like I said, your gems are fine, you just need some better gear.

    Always use a mana potion and flask of frostwyrm.
    Glyphs and spec are fine if you feel the need to have greater heal faster.
    Hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Re: Holy gemming

    Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    The 30k mana raid buffed is just purely them having better gear then you.
    Taking a gander at your gear you're still using ulduar pieces.
    Your gemming is perfect, dont change it.
    When you feel your spellpower is getting really high. (Which it isnt at the moment), gem more haste.
    If you're not running into mana problems, gem sp/haste.

    Prom doesnt matter on who you use it on, just someone that is taking damage, however tanks are a great source Prom bouncing.

    Most of the time, my healing on tanks will be keeping renew up as holy, maybe a flash heal or greater heal if its ever needed (Festergut)

    However, most of a holy priests focus is raid healing.
    You dont necessarily ignore the tank, you just keep your renew buffer while you worry about your primary job which is raid healing.
    General raid healing as holy priests these days consists of getting all renew talents and renewing the raid, sort of like a resto druid as your filler between CoH, Prom.
    You dont always have to use surge of light procs when they're up.
    Sure its free mana heal, but if you need to worry about PoHing a group, do so first.

    Basically you need to pay attention to whats going on in the raid, what to expect next, and how you want to react to said situation.

    Like I said, your gems are fine, you just need some better gear.

    Always use a mana potion and flask of frostwyrm.
    Glyphs and spec are fine if you feel the need to have greater heal faster.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks alot for your answer mate, helped me alot :]

    Shielding your life since 2007 yo

  4. #4

    Re: Holy gemming

    Umm..my recommendations on gemming:
    1: LOSE THE HIT!
    2:Lose the sp penn
    3:Gem SP First, then in whatever order you feel you need, gem spirit, haste, int and maybe crit if you want (i dont usually)

    again this is imo.

  5. #5

    Re: Holy gemming

    Quote Originally Posted by Copasetik
    Umm..my recommendations on gemming:
    1: LOSE THE HIT!
    2:Lose the sp penn
    3:Gem SP First, then in whatever order you feel you need, gem spirit, haste, int and maybe crit if you want (i dont usually)

    again this is imo.
    Hes in PvP gear.
    Isnt it obvious?

  6. #6

    Re: Holy gemming

    Hehe yeah, I went offline after doing the daily BG :P
    Just a quick question if I'm already posting.
    yesterday I did Valithria DreamWalker encounter and I was wondering, is it better for me to raid heal or go inside the portals?
    Because I was assigned to raid heal, I was the only raid healer on that side so I had to heal both of the tanks and like 10 dps, I didn't have much problems but I had to spam some greater heals on the tank because he was getting alot of damage.
    so is it better to stay raid healing or as holy I should heal Valithria DreamWalker?
    Thanks

    Shielding your life since 2007 yo

  7. #7

    Re: Holy gemming

    As a Holy Priest, dennisd, you would want to generally stay out. Shaman, Druids, and definitely Paladins, are who you want to see on that boss. Covering more than half the raid, and your Discipline Priest standing beside you helping to buffer things, that's where you both belong. It sucks, but no portals really.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  8. #8

    Re: Holy gemming

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    As a Holy Priest, dennisd, you would want to generally stay out. Shaman, Druids, and definitely Paladins, are who you want to see on that boss. Covering more than half the raid, and your Discipline Priest standing beside you helping to buffer things, that's where you both belong. It sucks, but no portals really.
    Awesome, thanks for the answer. was my first time in there so I'm sure it will be better in the next runs, even though we managed to heal her after the second try.

    Shielding your life since 2007 yo

  9. #9

    Re: Holy gemming

    In all honesty it doesnt matter.
    Sure druids do more HPS on the boss.

    But the whole purpose of the fight is if you can keep your stack up.
    We personally have one failing resto druid so we throw a holy priest in.
    In the end it doesnt really matter.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •