Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Tier 10 bonuses vs tier 9

Hello, so I'm a MS holy priest who is now considering what items to use my EoF's for.
    I have the tier 10 - 2 set bonus, but I don't use empowered renew & don't have it in my spec, since I don't believe it to be a very helpful talent & neither do i think Renew is a good spell for raid healing, and for helping out on tank healing, well a renew is pretty much worth nothing.

Ehm so here is a link to my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory - Jive @ Blade's Edge - Profile
    And as you can see I am currently using 232 tier 9 for the PoM bonus, which i must say i quite like.
    But now to the problem. I am not sure if I will actually benefit from getting the tier 10, which is why i'd prob go with the 264 items in the missing slots, but is it even worth it when i lose the tier 9 bonus?

I feel like my 3 options are:
    - Respec, get last tier 10 items and learn to use renew..
    - Buy 264 items with my EoF's.
    - Keep using tier-9 bonus & aim to get trophies to upgrade to 245.

Whats your oppinions guys? (sorry if its posted wrong place.. can't do a new thread yet, and couldn't figure out which post would be most appropriate)

Re: Holy Tier 10 bonuses vs tier 9

I use renew a lot in 25 icc (In a hard-mode guild) and a lot of the times it ends up being my #1 heal. It doesn't put up one big number but it's a set-it and forget it spell that is pretty much our most efficient heal we possess for the way ICC damage goes out to a raid.

I switched to tier 10 4 piece once they made it not RNG based. I notice a lot of the top priests in the world (Paragon priests both holy/disc as well as Poptisse from Ensidia) switched to it as well. I figure 10% on 6 heals (When glyphed) almost guaranteed to hit the area of the raid taking damage is > 20% on a spell that can potentially not even use all the charges.

Don't underestimate the power of renew D:

Quote Originally Posted by Feroz
    Hello, so I'm a MS holy priest who is now considering what items to use my EoF's for.
    I have the tier 10 - 2 set bonus, but I don't use empowered renew & don't have it in my spec, since I don't believe it to be a very helpful talent & neither do i think Renew is a good spell for raid healing, and for helping out on tank healing, well a renew is pretty much worth nothing.

Ehm so here is a link to my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory - Jive @ Blade's Edge - Profile
    And as you can see I am currently using 232 tier 9 for the PoM bonus, which i must say i quite like.
    But now to the problem. I am not sure if I will actually benefit from getting the tier 10, which is why i'd prob go with the 264 items in the missing slots, but is it even worth it when i lose the tier 9 bonus?

I feel like my 3 options are:
    - Respec, get last tier 10 items and learn to use renew..
    - Buy 264 items with my EoF's.
    - Keep using tier-9 bonus & aim to get trophies to upgrade to 245.

Whats your oppinions guys? (sorry if its posted wrong place.. can't do a new thread yet, and couldn't figure out which post would be most appropriate)
    Hello fellow concerned priestie.
    As much as lots of us hate whack a mole renew healing, its just the way holy priests are designed to play these days.
    I generally don't like saying it, but renew raid healing is how holy priests are now and you're just going to have to respec and learn to adapt.
    Think of it as your job to stabalize raid health while using your burst circle of healing and Prayer of Healing for times when needed.
    It's a sad state of affairs, but many classes have to change their playstyles for top efficiency.
    As for purchasing advice, Id get the last tier 10 items.
    Depending if you raid 25 man content, dont get the chest piece and get sanguine silk robes, or even the 10 man ones off blood princes are good too.
    As much as you like the set bonus, your other base stats are going to increase with the tier pieces than just upgrading to 245.
    Not to mention the four piece is great with current ways of holy priest healing.

So in a TL;DR sense:
    Respec and learn to use renew.
    Get tier 10 pieces sans chest, a haste one drops of blood princes 25 and 10 man that are amazingly better.
    Have fun.
    :3

+1 to Revitalize's post. You want to aim for the Helm, Shoulders (Neither have a haste equivalent in ICC) hands and legs for your 4 pieces (They both are very well itemized for holy), and grab the robes off of princes the first chance you get. For a weapon Dying Light will someday be mine. Think that's right up there for how little I've seen something drop with Solace of the Fallen.

If you don't have a solace of the fallen/heroic solace then grab purified lunar dust from frosts after your tier. Slightly better than Solace for throughput, but 3rd behind solace/heroic solace for regen,

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I'm wondering though on the latest reply. Do you keep renew up on every person in the raid you can then?
    Also ye if renew is that good I will def have to start using it, currently I'm only using it for tanks on 25-mans though.
    - Also last thing, it's only increases the effect of empowered renew, which is the "instant" heal from casting renew, and thats maybe that part I'm most in doubt about it.

Im not that current poster, but Im going to say that yes, that's pretty much how it works out.
    Always keep renew on tanks, always keep renew on raid for incoming damage or raid stabilization for aura damage.

The more haste, the more renews you can throw out in a given set time.
    It's a sad state of affairs, but that's how holy priests work these days to achieveme maximum throughput.

This means don't glyph for glyph of renew.
    Glyph of renew is generally terrible because the duration of the renew doesnt last as long, causing you having to refresh it on said raid member more often and you wont have enough time to spread out your renews onto the raid before having to refresh them.

Just a tip.

Also Feroz, that is true, however that's why I didn't suggest in you upgrading to 245 tier 9 pieces as the set bonus is pretty crap.

You should defnitely try using your renew more often.
    I have a current holy offspec in my armory if youd like to take a gander.

Edit: In my signature.

The whole reason you see priests stack haste is so they can blanket renew better. Better to gem sp/int in red/yellow until you notice no regen problems and then switch to sp/haste in red/yellow slots.

It's close to impossible to keep it up on everyone. I usually aim to keep it on the tanks and if I see someone bone spiked or some other mechanic with a DoT effect. Renew is great to blanket people with when: bone whirl goes out, deathwhisper is about to icebolt everyone (wtb rogues that can kick stuff), on gunship in general, marks on saurfang, Festergut for sure, Putricide. I mean it's sometimes wasted if you throw it on someone that just took a burst of damage really fast, but on fights like Blood Queen you spam it on as many people as possible and use PoM/CoH on cooldown. When you think about it a lot of the fights in this game have unavoidable, low but constant raid wide damage mechanics. Just gotta get out of the old Ulduar burst-lull-burst that priests performed so well in and give the limelight over to druids :/

Learn fights to the point where you know when a lot of raid-wide damage is going to be going out and use renew as a premptive measure, and hit coh/poh when the damage hits to bring people up.

Whole point behind empowered renew besides the heal not being all that bad when it crits, is it allows surge of light to proc a lot even with low crit. Cast a flash heal to get serendipity stacks up so your PoH isn't an eternity-long cast time when it's needed.

*edit* your mileage may vary, but I actually use the glyph of renew as I notice there aren't a lot of fights where the damage one would take should last longer than 12 seconds unless the person it is on likes eating marrowgar's axe, standing in fires, or takes a lot of unnecessary, sustained damage (Outside of Blood Queen, but you're pretty much druid/shaman support on that fight so a harder hitting renew is still probably better).

Thanks a lot guys, I will def go respec & start working on changing my playstyle. By the sound of it I don't like the idea of it, but I'll have to see. I don't doubt you a right about the improved healing but I really generally do not like renew, so I would have loved to have seen Blizz make holy priest more dependent cast healing and not HoT healing. But I can't say what I think before i tried it out.. but the tier bonus def makes more sense in my mind now (:

And took a look at your spec revitalize and gonna go with almost the same spec, not that it's much change for me, but I just love the Body & Soul? anyway love that talent too much to give it up, and since even paragons best holy priest has it, im going to take it aswell. losing one point in blessed resillience & not getting the inner focus spell. Is that where you guys would lose the talentpoints aswell, in case you was as crazy for Body & Soul as I am? :P

Standard ICC Renew spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbhZfvzcbMqqhGcuAo:0Nd

I wouldn't follow top guilds specs too closely. Keep in mind that top guilds are top guilds not because they have the top players of the classes, but because they have the top players at coordination and dedication. It's why top guilds videos are often mocked for low DPS and other 'issues', but they're still successful. Well coordinated groups function better than groups of extremely talented individuals. That said there's no reason not to strive to be a better player yourself.

Of course you can get body and soul, I just didnt mention those filler points you couldve used for something else.

I went to WoL and picked out a holy priest who was second for Blood Queen Heroic for holy priests because it shows how strong renew is on aura fights.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/2yd14...&e=13546#Enryu

Take a look at his healing breakdown.

Title is about tier 10 set bonus, but OP spent most his post talking about renew...

tier 10 4 piece is +10% to coh now, it was only a + to renew for a couple minor patches on the test server...

I love how the first ten posts are trying to teach the op how to play better, with no one mentioning this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by kaloryth
    I went to WoL and picked out a holy priest who was second for Blood Queen Heroic for holy priests because it shows how strong renew is on aura fights.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/2yd14...&e=13546#Enryu

Take a look at his healing breakdown.
    I actually know Enryu, really really good priest in Echelon.
    That's insane how he did that lol.

Yep, there's are two main ways to do it. Either blanket Renew (see Enryu), or the PoH spam. Blanket Renew takes a bit more work, but does about the same healing. Which you should do depends on your healing setup. For an example of PoH see the top log on the same fight, from Zhayon: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sk...&e=7863#Zhayon

Openair, they changed the set bonus to 10% to empowered renew instead of the CoH bonus, thats why I figured something was wrong with how i played xD

So finally respecced & chose new glyphs, hope you guys agree with what I've done.

Aslo I chose the get the glyph of renew due to thinking that I def wont be able to keep renew up on every1 & in my guild we like to 2-man heal as much as possible, so more heals from renew can potentially mean extra help for the tank healer and if I jsut keep renew up on around 4-5 ppl, then most likely the rest will be hit of CoH, but I'll have to test it, so let's see (:

Consider dropping the 4 set so you can take shadow set shoulders, which are a big improvement from the healing set shoulders - unfortunately.
    http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1...p10records.png
    Signature too large, resize please.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

i had a dilemma a few weeks ago, i got the 4 set frost gear for healing and thought it sucked balls compared to the triumph set, so i got a refund of frosts off blizz and got normal frost gear, then a week later in new patch the frost gear set bonus was changed lol which kinda pissed me off a bit as now im in process of collecting it again to use for holy, and keep normal gear gemmed up for int and crit for disc... but yea renew is an awesome spell thruout a whole fight and helps a great deal and spamming PoM on tanks every cooldown is great too and those two become my highest healing done most fights in disc and holy
    i still prefer the triumph set tho tbh
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

that sucks invader -.- very unlucky there. Yeah i prefer the tier 9 aswell for my play-style, but trying to adept my playstyle to the new bonuses now (:

Quote Originally Posted by Feroz
    Openair, they changed the set bonus to 10% to empowered renew instead of the CoH bonus, thats why I figured something was wrong with how i played xD
    What are you all talking about T10 and renew? The current setbonus' ingame are
    (2) Set: Your Flash Heal has a 33% chance to cause the target to heal for 33% of the healed amount over 9 sec.
    (4) Set: Increases the effect of Power Word: Shield by 5% and Circle of Healing by 10%.
    There were patchnotes about improving emp. renew, but it never went live.