Thread: Halp!

Halp!

For quite some time I've been running wow on my computer, bought 4 years ago. Been doing very well up untill 6 months ago, now I finaly have the money to do something about it.
    Currently using geforce 9800 gt and the maximum 3gb ram for xp. However, my cpu is quite old, 3ghz shizzle and I'm looking to upgrade that. Now, my only question:

Best cpu for gaming wow hardcore, with a fair price, for the 775 LGA socket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elovan
    I would punch you in the face if my fist could traverse the Internet.

Re: Halp!

Socket 775 is pretty vague, we also need your chipset and motherboard model so we can see if there is a BIOS update or anything for some of the newer LGA775 CPUs. Also, what's your budget?
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

150ish euro budget. :>

Let me know if you need moar, or I simply didnt link enough. Kinda retarded at this ><

The good news is that you have a possible upgrade path; the bad news is that I can't say for certain without the motherboard model. The even worse news is that if your motherboard does not have support for Core 2 Duo's you're out of luck upgrading without switching the motherboard.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

Meh. Doesnt sound good. Anyway, how would I figure out the motherboard model?

Is it a factory built computer or did you build it yourself?

Edit: Factory built would mean Dell, HP, or some other brands.

Oh, that would be Medion.

Is there a model number on the case anywhere? If I get that I can probably find the motherboard somewhere. Since it was built by a mass producing company it's a lot less likely that you'll be able to upgrade.

I believe it's medion MD 8808.

I found the motherboard model, it's an MSI MS-7204. The motherboard won't support anything past Celeron D, you're using what was the second best Celeron D available when the motherboard was made. What this means is there is no option of upgrading without changing the motherboard.

Edit: Reading a bit more of the manual and I learned that the motherboard is Micro BTX form factor, cases aren't even made to support that size anymore, nor are motherboards made to support mBTX cases. So you would also need to get a different case.

Aight, sad panda. Anyway, thx for the help. :>

You could still upgrade, but it would need a bit more in your budget, an extra 50 euros would probably work.

I believe this website delivers across Europe, but shipping would be cheaper in the UK.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H - Around €85
    CPU: Phenom II x2 555 @ 3.2ghz - €95
    Or
    Athlon II x4 630 @ 2.8ghz - €95
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 334 - €35