Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mage proffessions?

I'm just wondering if anyone has done the number crunching on what profession combo's is best for the mage? I currently have enchanting/tailoring and am quite happy. But I can't help wondering if its the best combo. I didn't see anything in the sticky's and I didn't read every post in the mage section to find out (so pardon me if its been posted before, I missed it).
    "I have as much power on this planet as the Pope. I just don't have as many people that believe it"
    George Carlin RIP

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Mage proffessions?

search button is hard.

JC/engineering
    BfA Beta Time

correct me if i am wrong but im pretty sure tailoring is better then JC.

searching for "mage, professions" brings up another 15 pages of threads, the first two pages of which left me no wiser, hense the thread.

but thanks for the answer anyway.
    "I have as much power on this planet as the Pope. I just don't have as many people that believe it"
    George Carlin RIP

I was going to say JC / Tailoring ...but i dont like using bombs ect...in raids. Rumor has it u can get banned
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalazyrican
    correct me if i am wrong but im pretty sure tailoring is better then JC.
    Tailoring is not better than JC. But JC is only slightly better than Tailoring imo

10+ Year Old Account

Slight thread hijack, but these days how much would it cost to powerlevel JC?

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

tailoring is best still... the enchant on your back"lightweave embriodery" is a passive 60-70 SP bonus if im not mistaken. JC gives something like 46-47 passive SP.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Thalazyrican
    tailoring is best still... the enchant on your back"lightweave embriodery" is a passive 60-70 SP bonus if im not mistaken. JC gives something like 46-47 passive SP.
    yes, but you can match JC with engineering, but you cannot match tailoring with engineering. for that fact, and the fact that JC is more flexible than tailoring, it beats it out.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    yes, but you can match JC with engineering, but you cannot match tailoring with engineering. for that fact, and the fact that JC is more flexible than tailoring, it beats it out.
    Question: Is engineering better because of the bombs? or the glove enchant? I would like to have 2 professions that up the dps but not have to watch/use even more CDs ect..
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted

Engineering is better for the glove enchant. I'd say JC/engineering is best, but it's kinda close between those and tailoring and enchanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica
    Engineering is better for the glove enchant. I'd say JC/engineering is best, but it's kinda close between those and tailoring and enchanting.
    I was thinking to go with Tailoring and Enchanting...seems like it is too close to worry about

* Tailoring: +51 spell power equivalent (73.75 spellpower, -23 haste. Assumes 1/4 uptime for lightweave proc, 295 spellpower for 15s out of 60s)
    * Jewelcrafting: +48 spellpower (3x 39sp instead of 3x 23sp)
    * Alchemy: +47 spellpower (172sp flask w/ mixology vs 125 baseline)
    * Blacksmithing: +46 spellpower (2x 23sp epic gems in extra sockets)
    * Enchanting: +46 spellpower (23sp x 2 rings)
    * Inscription: +46 spellpower (70sp vs 24sp on epic Sons inscription)
    * Leatherworking: +46 spellpower (76sp fur lining - 30sp enchant)
    * Engineering: +44 spell power equivalent (+45 haste, -1 spellpower [+27sp -23haste on cloak, -28sp +68haste on gloves], also gets a burst of speed basically once per boss fight when using Icewalker instead of runspeed, which could come in minor handy for raiding)
    * Skinning: +20 spell power equivalent (+40 crit)
    * Mining: +60 stamina (no direct effect on DPS)
    * Herbalism: +3600 healing over 5 seconds (no effect on DPS
    Freshly from EJ.
    Tailoring + JC FTW. Also JC offer you variety of possibilities if needed. Hit, haste, crit, whatever.

Deleted

Tailoring + Engineering. Best two for mage. JC only gives you a slight spellpower increase with those silly gems.

15+ Year Old Account

that's not "fresh" from EJ, that list has been around for quite some time.

also, the list assumes that 1 haste is equivalent to 1 spellpower, which it is not for any mage spec (other than FFB) in BiS ICC gear. add in the bombs which deal 1500 minimum damage every minute, which adds 25 DPS on its own, engineering outscales tailoring.

to add, tailoring is only equitable to 51 spellpower if the proc is procced the very second it comes off of CD every time, which is rarely the case. in real world scenarios, the SP gain from tailoring is significantly less than listed, but it is a good indicator of what it CAN do.
    BfA Beta Time

add in the bombs which deal 1500 minimum damage every minute, which adds 25 DPS on its own, engineering outscales tailoring.
    This is what I dont understand. The bombs have a cast time, while i am casting the bomb (1500 dps) am i missing time where i could be casting a spell? I mean the spell is going to hit way more than 1500...or are thinking AoE damage at 1500 dps to each target?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya
    This is what I dont understand. The bombs have a cast time, while i am casting the bomb (1500 dps) am i missing time where i could be casting a spell? I mean the spell is going to hit way more than 1500...or are thinking AoE damage at 1500 dps to each target?
    Saronite Bomb: off GCD, no cast time, large AoE radius.
    BfA Beta Time

Hmm i thought they had a cast time, maybe that was my frag belt..my bad

that's not "fresh" from EJ
    Well I tried to say something different, but my weak english + fail at expressing something created such thingie.
    nvm this xD
    also, the list assumes that 1 haste is equivalent to 1 spellpower, which it is not for any mage spec (other than FFB) in BiS ICC gear.
    I threw some items into RAWR (maybe not BiS, was doing it fast, but everything i277/284, 4*t10 and some other thingies) for fire the best went out... SP, then Crit then far away Haste.
    But in rotation (when I equipped prismatic socket in belt with random JC gems) the +crit gem was ~1 dps better then SP.
    add in the bombs which deal 1500 minimum damage every minute, which adds 25 DPS on its own, engineering outscales tailoring.
    Well if they don't procc GCD they are indeed better.
    to add, tailoring is only equitable to 51 spellpower if the proc is procced the very second it comes off of CD every time, which is rarely the case. in real world scenarios, the SP gain from tailoring is significantly less than listed, but it is a good indicator of what it CAN do.
    Well the internal CD is 45s and procrate is 50%. You shouldn't wait for procrate for more then 3 seconds after the internal CD is gone. It still should make it better then a lot of other proffs with +5 dps less (basing on this list).

Maybe this makes eng + JC best combination, but if you don't like more CD basing + throwing some bombs (like me) JC + Tailor is best.

It interrupts casting sequences (queues) and you have to account for reaction times and latency of clicking the targetting circle. I'd give it 10-15 dps tops accounting for that, if it's not a dps loss outside of movement, which I think it may be depending on the severity of those factors.