Thread: dw frost pest

dw frost pest

when i start my rotation off in frost i find myself very pressured at times to just hit pest and blood strike instead of oblit with my death runes. the time window for the oblit to happen (what ive noticed) is very small. I seem to just be using pest, blood strike, then oblits and i rarely get that deathrune oblit off without my diseases going away. Is this natural?? or am i doing something wrong?

Re: dw frost pest

the rotation/priority list for frost DW with pestilence is very very tight. you just have to make sure to use your death runes before the diseases are half over. otherwise just re-pestilence. Remember frost strike is only prioritized over oblit if KM is procced.

The rotation (if you can call it that) is very tight, and it's not helped at all by the fact that popping unbreakable armor every 60 seconds (even with blood tap) jacks up every 3rd rotation. The one thing I've found that helps with the bulky rotation is using unholy presence. There's actually an ongoing discussion about the use of UP in the elitist jerks unholy DK thread. My personal findings are that the difference in dps is negligible, and you have the upside of being able to drop tuskars on your boots and go with a dps enchant instead.

Prioritize rune abilities over RP dump and you shouldn't have any issues. Don't put yourself in a situation where you're GCD locked with 3 seconds left on your diseases (wait for your blood runes to come up then BS+Pest before dumping)

I find I tend to proc KM on my first blood rune a lot (sigh), so I put off the KM FS 1.5 seconds and use my other blood rune to keep them synced. It's a slight DPS loss, but makes for a little easier play. Using your Blood runes (whether Pest / BS / Oblit) is a higher priority than a RIME proc or non-KM FS, perhaps that will help you too.

I sympathize though, after playing with a rotation spec for most of the expansion (unholy 2h), the transition to frost's priority system took a few weeks of raids for me to feel comfortable doing.

Quote Originally Posted by khalpone
    I find I tend to proc KM on my first blood rune a lot (sigh), so I put off the KM FS 1.5 seconds and use my other blood rune to keep them synced. It's a slight DPS loss, but makes for a little easier play. Using your Blood runes (whether Pest / BS / Oblit) is a higher priority than a RIME proc or non-KM FS, perhaps that will help you too.

I sympathize though, after playing with a rotation spec for most of the expansion (unholy 2h), the transition to frost's priority system took a few weeks of raids for me to feel comfortable doing.
    The key to frost is knowing when weave in that KM+FS, If I am not mistaken, Diseases are still the #1 priority. In GoD spec having to reapply you diseases is defiantly a DPS loss, try to do it as little as possible. Saving a KM (or even wasting it) to reapply Diseases with Pestilence is just smarter game play.

Diseases > KM+FS > OB > BS > Rime> PS > IT

I noticed myself that when my diseases get down to less then 2 sec left, I tend to hold back on using a FS. Having .5 sec to pop off a pest is very tricky.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

One thing I'd suggest is opening up with IT - PS - BS - Pest - Oblit. Using pest on the second rune gives you an extra 1.5 seconds to refresh your diseases, due to your first rune coming back 1.5 secs faster than your second one which refreshed your diseases initially. That, along with burning your death runes as soon as they come back up, will give you a little bit more room for error.

Also, on the note of UBA, it won't mess up your rotation at all if you toss it when you only have your death runes and cancel your blood tap after you burn the runes. Kinda looks like this (lower case runes are on CD):

DDffuu --> UBA
    bDffuu --> BT
    DDffuu --> Oblit
    dbffuu --> cancel blood tap
    bbffuu --> ready to continue

The macro I uses looks like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast Unbreakable Armor
    /cast Blood Tap
    /cast Rune Strike (because it should be macroed to everything)
    /use 10 (engineering glove enchant ftw)
    /cancelaura Blood Tap

The cancelaura doesn't register until you hit the button a second time, so as long as you press it again after you oblit it will work out fine.

I know that this is a pest discussion but I would just like to say after a few weeks of using GoD with the tight "rotation", I just dont really think it is worth it. I ended up going back to Glyph of Icy Touch. It may be a slight dps loss but pest is really only good for Deathbringer and Festergut fights. I use IT glyph for that fact that I have an Unholy DK in our 25's. So I think the dps loss is minuscule. I dont have actual math to back that up but this is what I have compared on my recount meter from the time I did use GoD to GoIT.

on marrowgar I can usually keep diseases up with pest through bonestorms, and of course on deathwhisper once the add phase is down.

Gunship really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Rotface really depends on RNG and how often you need to get dispelled.

I don't have a problem with people using GoIT. I'll probably start carrying stacks of GoD and GoIT around with me when I raid ICC but so far I just can't be bothered.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Akrocius
    One thing I'd suggest is opening up with IT - PS - BS - Pest - Oblit. Using pest on the second rune gives you an extra 1.5 seconds to refresh your diseases, due to your first rune coming back 1.5 secs faster than your second one which refreshed your diseases initially. That, along with burning your death runes as soon as they come back up, will give you a little bit more room for error.

Also, on the note of UBA, it won't mess up your rotation at all if you toss it when you only have your death runes and cancel your blood tap after you burn the runes. Kinda looks like this (lower case runes are on CD):

DDffuu --> UBA
    bDffuu --> BT
    DDffuu --> Oblit
    dbffuu --> cancel blood tap
    bbffuu --> ready to continue

The macro I uses looks like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast Unbreakable Armor
    /cast Blood Tap
    /cast Rune Strike (because it should be macroed to everything)
    /use 10 (engineering glove enchant ftw)
    /cancelaura Blood Tap

The cancelaura doesn't register until you hit the button a second time, so as long as you press it again after you oblit it will work out fine.
    a nice work around to having to press the button twice is to macro the cancelaura onto obliterate, just press the button once then go back to spamming oblit and it cancels it on its own 8)

great tip.

It's oh so obvious...right after someone tells you to do it.

Thanks!

whats the significance of cancel aura part?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldbringer
    whats the significance of cancel aura part?
    Cancelaura keeps both of your blood runes as blood (instead of BD) and prevents the game from using that death rune for Obliterate.