Neon Genesis Evangelion [Possible Spoilers]

Ok so I just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and thought it was a pretty good anime, until I got to the last 2 episodes...

I mean like WTF just happened there? Did the directors just say 'You know what? Screw are fans and lets fuck with their minds with long, boring emo talks and sketchy doodles that we could hardly bother to draw or animate.". I can't wrap my mind around what just happened to the perfectly good anime, it's like the story just hit a wall but all the parts no one wanted to see managed to survive the crash. As far as I can tell the anime didn't even really reach a conclusion.

What happened to everyone anyway? Last we saw Asuka she was all depressed and crazy. Whatever happened to Shinji I have no idea. It's like "Congratulations Shinji! Your life doesn't suck as much as you think it does! The End."

I know that this is an older anime and it's pretty good as well, but those last 2 really screw you over. Anyone else have any idea of what I'm talking about? Or felt the same way.

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion [Possible Spoilers]

There are so many versions and remakes of this partly for that reason. Many consider it the most overrated anime of all time lol. You're better off moving onto better shows.

15+ Year Old Account

Yeah, I prefer a good Gundam or Gurren Lagann for my mech shows. Evangelion is good but way overrated.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    Yeah, I prefer a good Gundam or Gurren Lagann for my mech shows. Evangelion is good but way overrated.
    Don't you think that Gundam was a bit overrated as well?
    I mean, sure, the story was build up was good, but all of the damned series appealed to me in the same manner.

Also OP:
    NGE isn't that good once you have seen other Anime. There are Anime out there that are so much better than NGE. However, keep in mind that some endings of Anime might suck (Soul Eater anyone?). Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it
    Dawwwwwww

10+ Year Old Account

The reason the Anime is so good is because nothing is as it seems and everything has a deeper meaning. The whole show in general is symbolism. I was raised christian(though I am agnostic now) and I actually understood a good portion of this show while my boyfriend was lost. Though, most of it is still pretty confusing.

The last 2 episodes is pretty much the end of the world. When the Human Instrumentality Project is started it was supposed to "bring an artificial 3rd impact" where everything physically dies and becomes one soul. So Shenji, and apparently everyone else, is left to find their real purpose in life. Most think it's supposed to mean that he finally figures out life was worth living and he didn't need Eva to be a useful person and the lame clapping in the end means he understands and they all too, they all went through the same "soul searching". Apparently it's supposed to start the new beginning. They didn't get to stop the world ending because Seele made an artificial one. Which is really the point of the show since the name is translated New Beginning Gospel.

There is a ton of info about the show and all it's hidden meanings all over the web. The show is far from overrated. It's actually brilliant if you understand it, which I've watched it tons of times trying to understand everything and I still miss a lot of it.

So you think people who don't like it don't understand it?(This argument always pisses me off) If you want a good show that you have to sit down and think to understand try Serial Experiments Lain or Karas.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I mean, sure, the story was build up was good, but all of the damned series appealed to me in the same manner.

Also OP:
    NGE isn't that good once you have seen other Anime. There are Anime out there that are so much better than NGE. However, keep in mind that some endings of Anime might suck (Soul Eater anyone?). Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it
    Sadly I enjoy Gundam cause I have child hood memories of G Gundam on Cartoon Network.. It was epic. Of course...I made the mistake of looking the show up now that I'm older and wow... it's certainly interesting. Although I still get a kick out of Chibity Crocket.. but apparently that's what America looked like to the world back then :P Blue haired, surfer, boxer, weird frilly coat wearing dudes.. and of course.. surrounded by beautiful women! ;D

I tried watching many of the Gundam series and couldn't make it through most. 08th Ms team on the other hand was amazing. It seemed to focus more on storyline and not the gundams.

Re: Neon G enesis Evangelion [Possible Spoilers]

Pretty much what Myrrar said. After the series ended they made two movies Death and Rebirth, death which recapped the series and Rebirth the so called true ending of the series but due to budget it didnt finish properly. Then they made End of Evengelion which is pretty much rebirth. They then made another movie called Revive of evangelion, which was just combined version of Rebirth and death.

They then made/still in making a 4part movie Rebuild of Evengelion, which was ment to be released by 2008 but instead we go the first film in 2007 and the second in 2009 which is just retelling of the series. The third and forth part of the movie which isnt out yet is a totally new conclusion of the movie. If you want to check out the two part already released Evangelion 1.0 You are not alone and the second part Evangelion 2.0 You can not advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5

Also OP:
    LOL, I agree with the Soul Eater comment, the anime drifted wayyyy to far of course from the manga, now the manga I like.
    Armour is no protection against the blessed tools of the righteous

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    So you think people who don't like it don't understand it?(This argument always pisses me off) If you want a good show that you have to sit down and think to understand try Serial Experiments Lain or Karas.
    Not really sure where you saw anyone in this thread say that. Now, there WERE people who answered the OPs questions since he didn't understand the last 2 episodes =]