Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Disenchanting in Random Dungeons

Hey All,

I was just in a random dungeon that had a player who could disenchant. As usual everyone just hits the disenchant icon whenever it pops up and we just keep chugging away. The interesting part, I thought, was when we killed the final boss. The player who could disenchant (well over 5300 GS) immediately needed everything and left party. At first I didnt see his rolls so I thought nothing of it. Then when I realized he rolled need on both, which he hadn't done at all previously in the dungeon, that he simply didnt want to DE the items for us. Anyways, thought this was sort of odd and was wondering what everyone else thinks, or if this is a common thing people run into.

Re: Disenchanting in Random Dungeons

Ive actually seen this happening more and more, the person that has the ability to disenchant is pretty much ninja-ing an abyss and a dream shard the same way people ninja'd orbs, the only thing is its limited to who can ninja shards.

Been there had it happen to me. Even with no dissenchanter at all in the group. People do it to sell the item and get the gold themselves. Mostly tanks with decent gear and speedy runs has done this with me.

The issue is that the Disenchant button should not have been created in the first place. I used to be able to farm 5's for DE-able items to fund my profession with little issue, only every once in a while someone would greed something for vendor. Now, enchanters have to fight 4 others, who have little need for the actual enchant mats per say, for every single drop in 5's, every time all the time.

Now, there is little point in running heroics for mats anymore, which defeats the whole purpose of the LFG tool in the first place. The only way I get a decent amount of mats in 5's is to do guild runs, which also defeats the LFG tool.

I don't personally ninja items like that, but I am not surprised it's starting to happen. Can we petition Blizzard to get rid of the Disenchant button? Or at least allow us to choose to disable it before a run?

The only way I get a decent amount of mats in 5's is to do guild runs, which also defeats the LFG tool.
    you are ninjaing mats from your guild mates, then?
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

I didn't mean to imply that what he did was right or wrong. Mainly because I don't necessarily think that it's right for an enchanter to be forced to DE materials for a group like that. I used to think that it was acceptable for people to greed on the things that that they didn't need, and ask the party if anyone could DE. If that person decided they didn't want to and wanted to take the chance that they would win the greed roll and keep the item for themselves, I thought that was okay. Inevitably one of your friends on your server will be an enchanter and can DE any greens and whatnot you acquire. The only problem with that system comes in acquiring abyss crystals. I do think the system should be different for getting them. Namely, I don't think that it would be fair to have to solely purchase these at whatever price an enchanter wants to list them at. I don't really know how I would solve any of these problems, but these are just my opinions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myte342
    The issue is that the Disenchant button should not have been created in the first place. I used to be able to farm 5's for DE-able items to fund my profession with little issue, only every once in a while someone would greed something for vendor. Now, enchanters have to fight 4 others, who have little need for the actual enchant mats per say, for every single drop in 5's, every time all the time.

Now, there is little point in running heroics for mats anymore, which defeats the whole purpose of the LFG tool in the first place. The only way I get a decent amount of mats in 5's is to do guild runs, which also defeats the LFG tool.

I don't personally ninja items like that, but I am not surprised it's starting to happen. Can we petition Blizzard to get rid of the Disenchant button? Or at least allow us to choose to disable it before a run?
    Wait, the point of the lfg system was to farm enchant mats? Man, I sure did miss that blue post.
    The system also massively lowered the price of mats, so if you need them you can get them way easier/cheaper. If you need gold, go do some dailies. You don't HAVE to do 5s for mats you know.
    The whining about "whaa, other people get disenchants now" thing is just greedy and shows a lack of understanding for why it was necessary (hint: it involves not trading things in dungeons). Stop being greedy and get over it.

This message brought to you by someone with 3 Disenchanters.

I know this may sound shady but here is my out look on this..I Raised my enchanting skill up to be able to DE in heroics but with the new Disenchant button everyone gets to profit off my work. Do I get to roll on leather from skinning? Or Ore from Mining?

So yes I will need role on 1 item either Epic or blue to get a shard per run..I Feel as its a fair swap for you being able to profit off my skill..

OP - I haven't myself seen this happen but yeah, sounds like someone wanted some free enchanting mats.

Myte342 - I leveled enchanting from 1-450 off mats I collected myself from farming greens and running heroics, DEing whatever I won through random rolls. To assume you should get the shards simply because you are the enchanter is absurd. Perhaps other people might need them for, you know, enchanting upgrades? alts? whatever they want? In short, if you can solo the instance then you have every right to every item that drops, but until then, everyone else put in the same amount of effort and IMO has the same right to the items as you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali
    Healers ARE held to a high standard, they're just also held to the healer motto: "We can't heal stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by Ceraphym
    OP - I haven't myself seen this happen but yeah, sounds like someone wanted some free enchanting mats.

Myte342 - I leveled enchanting from 1-450 off mats I collected myself from farming greens and running heroics, DEing whatever I won through random rolls. To assume you should get the shards simply because you are the enchanter is absurd. Perhaps other people might need them for, you know, enchanting upgrades? alts? whatever they want? In short, if you can solo the instance then you have every right to every item that drops, but until then, everyone else put in the same amount of effort and IMO has the same right to the items as you do.
    what he said, cause... if enchanters wanna be greedy, other folks can do the same thing and roll need on every single green that dropped, to have their friend DE, or sell to an vendor, the same with every boss loot (until the LFG tool/dungeon made it so that you can only roll on gear you can actually use... and retardedly is your "class gear")

[/quote]

If I want the ore that is mined or the leather that is skinned Do I get to roll on it?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf2121
    I know this may sound shady but here is my out look on this..I Raised my enchanting skill up to be able to DE in heroics but with the new Disenchant button everyone gets to profit off my work. Do I get to roll on leather from skinning? Or Ore from Mining?

So yes I will need role on 1 item either Epic or blue to get a shard per run..I Feel as its a fair swap for you being able to profit off my skill..

I understand wanting to at least get something per run since it is your profession that people are benefiting from. However, do you think it is fair to do this on an epic item for the abyss crystal in one of the old heroics, where it is the only item that will give an abyss crystal in the whole dungeon? In my opinion I guess that it is not right, but that's just my opinion.

That argument is completely disingenuous. You're relying on a comparison between the professions that doesn't exist. Random dungeons are not "nodes" for an enchanter to "mine".

Also, I don't know about anyone else's server, but on Eonar-Horde, enchanters used to collect the shards/crystals and hold them til the end of the dungeon, at which point, everyone rolled for them. The fact is that d/e'ing makes an item more valuable (if it's vendor trash), but the item itself had value to the other people in your party.
    Carthago delenda est.

Deleted

If I want the ore that is mined or the leather that is skinned Do I get to roll on it?
    And an age old argument is resurrected.

The answer is no by the way, not the same thing.

An item drops for the group. A person who can use it would roll NEED on it. If no-one can use it, it does not automatically become the property of an enchanter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoran
    you are ninjaing mats from your guild mates, then?
    Wrong, we arent all selfish pricks. I for one need every single item in a guild 5 man, and i am handed every item from raids that no one needs. I disenchant and ALL mats go in the Guild Bank.

I am one of those people who needs things in randoms. If it is plate (I am a pally) then i need it. if it is a melee dps ring or neck piece, i need it. If it is a tank item and i am tanking, i need it.

I am not a dick head about it, i do inspect my party to see what is and is not needed among melee/plate wielders.

I honestly do not see how anyone else is entitled to the mats i use for my profession just because i am in the group.

People in this game are starting to think other people should do the work for them..If blizzard offerd me a refund on my enchanting skill I would drop it and lvl another prof. Just because its crazy how we became the let me give you mats to sell.. All this did was lower the value of me being able to disenchant items and sell the mat's.. So again I ask why not make it so your gathering Prof give's people a chance to roll item's gained while im in the group helping you kill the mobs that you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30
    And an age old argument is resurrected.

The answer is no by the way, not the same thing.

An item drops for the group. A person who can use it would roll NEED on it. If no-one can use it, it does not automatically become the property of an enchanter.
    I had not looked at it this way before. Kudos to you good sir.

Is a skinnable mob or a mining node worth ANYTHING AT ALL to non-miners/non-skinners? No.
    Is a disenchantable item worth ANYTHING AT ALL to non-enchanters?

This is why enchanters don't have a valid point when they QQ about the Disenchant option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot
    Wait, the point of the lfg system was to farm enchant mats? Man, I sure did miss that blue post.
    The system also massively lowered the price of mats, so if you need them you can get them way easier/cheaper. If you need gold, go do some dailies. You don't HAVE to do 5s for mats you know.
    The whining about "whaa, other people get disenchants now" thing is just greedy and shows a lack of understanding for why it was necessary (hint: it involves not trading things in dungeons). Stop being greedy and get over it.
    This message brought to you by someone with 3 Disenchanters.
    If that is the case then i want to be able to roll on skins from skinning, on the engineering mats from mechanical bosses, on the herbs from Freya's room, on the ores from mine nodes in instances/raids.

greedy? we are the ONLY profession that has been forced to share our mats. I dont call that greedy

Quote Originally Posted by Hippykong
    If that is the case then i want to be able to roll on skins from skinning, on the engineering mats from mechanical bosses, on the herbs from Freya's room, on the ores from mine nodes in instances/raids.

greedy? we are the ONLY profession that has been forced to share our mats. I dont call that greedy
    Read my post, it's one above yours.