Thread: The Media

The Media

Question to all those who still live with their parent(s).
    I personally had a troubled youth yadayadayada divorced parents yadayadayada betrayn by friends ectectect
    Long story short: I like playing WoW one hell of allot more then going outside.
    Now, I'm visiting a shrink to help me get passed issues I've had back then - back home however, my mom saw an episode about some kid back from classic wow who couldnt leave his pc to ding 57-60.
    Now believes same is for me; followed by not giving me money for food anymore; insisting that if I want to eat, I have to get a job.
    What a hassle.. anyhow, onto my question then.

Who here has been lectured by their parent(s) in regard to one of those WoW-kills-your-children articles?

I for one, will miss my friends in Stormreaver EU, so that I may prove that the only effect WoW has on me, is happiness - rather then sorrow.

Re: The Media

That your mother wont feed you is the real issue here. I played alot of games when I lived at home. I mean really hardcore, and my parents were concerned. But I still managed school with good grades and I had friends so I proved them wrong and I was allowed to play as much as I wanted.

When I moved away from I thought "yeah now I can play alot more". But I actually play alot less...

More of a side issue really; she has a bar, i have keys; steal money from register, eat :X

Well, at least it is good to know that your quest to become completely unattractive and pathetic is progressing so well.

If literally all you do is play World of Warcraft, then I would consider that a problem and wouldn't waste my money feeding you either. Get a job or go to college or do something that doesn't involve you dying a greasy virgin.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Get a job. You can eat then, you'll appease your mother, and you can probably still play wow for a good 6 hours a day still.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

Quote Originally Posted by aftermidnight
    More of a side issue really; she has a bar, i have keys; steal money from register, eat :X
    Yeah, you're definitely on the express train to Loserville. Grow up, get a job, and exercise more. Find an intramural sports league (one that's not so serious) and go play. You'll be amazed how fun it is and how interesting real life can be if you actually participate.

Deleted

join the military after boot camp if you lucky like me you will be playing wow all day without having to do anything and still geting payed good , and get all the healthcare, food play to sleep cloths for free, XD (ok free cloths are only military ones)

The only bills i pay are the internet, wow, my new car and the money i spend to visit my parrents :P

Quote Originally Posted by uberquatz
    Grow up, get a job, and exercise more. Find an intramural sports league (one that's not so serious) and go play. You'll be amazed how fun it is and how interesting real life can be if you actually participate.
    Get a job like they said. Do something wild for a change. I started doing kickboxing and it's become more important to me than WoW. And guess what, martial arts is a hit with chicks.

You have to find something you like passionnately outside of your virtual life.

For the food: Negotiate an arrangement with your mom! You must be ready to make some sacrifices but rest assured you will only be better off if you spend less time on the game. She only wants your good!

Holy shit lol, here I post, wandering if anyone relates
    SUDDENLY
    Trolololol lololol lololol trolololoooools

Honestly guys, don't make me whip out my sexy stud pictures to proof you wrong on your accusationz :P
    What I wrote is what it is, nonsense - because of some lame media article. :-X

SUDDENLY

Honestly guys, don't make me whip out my sexy stud pictures to proof you wrong on your accusationz :P

I can't say they were lectures, more like IRL nerd-raging (minus the nerd part >.>)
    I usually play on/off with subscriptions, I get bored a lot of the time but you can be bored just as much on WoW as real life, maybe even less.
    The thing about the media is that it gets more views if it makes people hate things, this is the universal truth when it comes to TV, news articles, blogs, etc. because people are more likely to get involved when they're angry about something than when they're happy about something.
    Metzen wrote both Thrall AND Garrosh... how do you feel now fanbois?

I don't really want to go into it, but having been ill for a long time, my parents are fairly understanding about it. I am trying to get things back together, but as long as I am seen to be trying to do something (I'm doing a fairly easy distance learning course and thinking about a law conversion course beginning in February next year) to make myself employable, there's an understanding that I can behave responsibly about my time on the computer. I don't think they've even spoken to me once about it since I started playing in October, and my mother even asked me to show her what happened on the game once while I was doing the Noblegarden events (bad timing, the only mobs I could demonstrate my huntard's fighting skills on were level 6 boars, and I was on my level 70+ at the time).

If you are responsible and have other interests, then I shouldn't worry about spending a lot of time on WoW. In my case, the interest that made me ill in the first place is the one my parents are trying to get me away from, and anything (like WoW) that gets me away from that one is a blessing.

When I was growing up, I was sick all the damn time, so instead of playing football or baseball, I played nintendo and sega, when it dropped. That ofcourse lead to where I am now. And I remember in college, playing wow all the time my parents told me that they were worried I was becoming addicted. I laughed, told them to get up off mah balls, showed em my transcript after the semester ended, and went back to hiting 60 on my warrior.

To hell with the media. I play wow. I can hold down physical relationships. I hang with friends every day. And I work. And I'm attractive.

The media has portrayed a view of gaming that is very negative, and we all must suffer for it. GL with your issues, broski.
    Un-banned and ready to unleash the Cool stories.. Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    And eredar is a draenei corrupted by sargeras to fight with the Burning Legion. Just because your a lock doesn't mean your /brofistin' Sargeras. ffs ¬¬

The Media will only talk about the extreme gaming related news, such as people that that drink a case of redbull stay up for a week straight then die, people who have ruined realationships and neglected their kids.
    You'll seldom hear about the good stories, such as couples meeting, getting married, and making really good irl friends with people they've meet in WoW even though it does happen alot.

But really, you should have a job. I moved out at 18, a few years later lost my job and had to move back home at 24, getting money saved back up to pay off all the debt i had.
    I get along great with my parents, BUT I'm also helping out around the house(cooking dinner, cleaning etc)I buy my own groceries and pay 100.00 a month for "rent" and I work full time now, So they really don't care that I spend alot of time on my computer.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Andorhal&cn=Stumbelline

you think you're the only one with issues - fuck off and get a job and stop being a spoilt whiney lil kid who lives of bank of Mum & Dad!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

SUDDENLY

It should be a real eye opener that a forum full of gamers is telling you you're wrong, yet you now try to disregard even their advice.

You don't work, your only income is stealing from your mom, you make no useful contribution to society whatsoever, and you think the media is the problem?! ??? You're making their point for them. You just sound like one more whiny kid looking for excuses to be a lazy shit and become just one more leech on our society.

No one here is criticizing you for playing WoW. It's what you do (or don't do) with the rest of your life that is the problem.

how old are you, tc?