Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Cataclysm graphics engine upgrade rumors? SLI/Crossfire and PhysX?

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    Blizzard's code developers are probably focused at this point in time towards the engine of their "next gen" MMO and just maintaining WoW instead of doing aggressive optimization.
    Nope. They've already stated they're doing upgrades (yet again) to the Wow Engine. BECAUSE OF THIS, they're finally dropping support for SSE CPUs. They dropped support for Win98 with Wrath, but now those still on Win98 simply won't be able to run Wow. Patch 3.3.3 implemented a warning screen telling people their machines wouldn't be supported and wouldn't run wow at all come Cataclysm if they had SSE CPUs or Win98. They've also said they want wow to use more of the GPU, and that they'll release this info closer to Cataclysm release.

There were upgrades/overhauls for 2.4, 3.0.2 & either 3.1 or 3.2..

2.4 was implementing dual core support, overhaul of graphics engine. This is when many computers took a dump fps-wise.
    3.0.2 was multicore support, and more graphics settings. I remember running Wrath's alpha, and seeing the huge difference with the quad core support, even with higher settings.
    3.1 or 3.2 was an extension of graphics settings
    US Blizz Tech Support MVP
    Ressie - Medivh-US

Re: Cataclysm graphics engine upgrade rumors? SLI/Crossfire and PhysX?

Thank you Resa.
    I knew I had seen a mention of the warning screen, and was about to suggest that windows 98 (my guess) support was being dropped.
    I was not aware of the details, only that it was a warning about some support for older hardware software would not be continued.
    I would like to see it take advantage of the GPU, since I am having performance issues, even on a quad core, and I think the CPU is the bottleneck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.