15+ Year Old Account

Re: Retribution Profession choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Energy
    Yep. 2x30stam, 2x40ap, 2x24sp
    only great for Prot then :P

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    Ronark, don't inscription, LW and enchanting all 3 give a static 80 AP increase over no profession, while tailoring demands you give up your 22 AGI enchant?

so it would more be like:
    JC > Engineering <> Blacksmithing > Inscription <> Leatherworking <> Enchanting <> Alchemy > Tailoring > Skinning > Mining <> Herbalism
    JC just gives a higher bonus than either BS or eng. it gives 42 STR, while BS gives 40 and eng gives some that are harder to quantify.
    Im not sure how much AP the embroider for Tailoring is worth.

For a ret pally, the best combo is JC/BS, JC will give you an additional 42 str and BS will give an additional 40, total being 82. If you add in Divine Strength talent (15% more str), that will be 94 str total or 188 ap, with it going to 102 str, 204 ap, with kings. Since all pally dps abilities are dependent on weapon damage, str is a rets best friend. (BTW last statement is true, even if seals are spell damage, one of the base parts on how much damage a seal does is dependent on weapon damage, with the other 2 parts being attack power and spell damage. Doubt me, look at pally abilities on this site and see for yourself.)

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jmb
    For a ret pally, the best combo is JC/BS, JC will give you an additional 42 str and BS will give an additional 40, total being 82. If you add in Divine Strength talent (15% more str), that will be 94 str total or 188 ap, with it going to 102 str, 204 ap, with kings. Since all pally dps abilities are dependent on weapon damage, str is a rets best friend. (BTW last statement is true, even if seals are spell damage, one of the base parts on how much damage a seal does is dependent on weapon damage, with the other 2 parts being attack power and spell damage. Doubt me, look at pally abilities on this site and see for yourself.)
    Engineering is better than the static gain of AP from BS for Ret.

I run JC and Engi.

The haste and speed boots are total win. Especially in certain encounters (Like LK with Defile)

I used to run BS instead of engi but didnt see much of a change in DPS when I swapped to engi.

Do you pvp? Whats your OS?

My main is prot/holy pve, BS/JC works great because it helps both specs.

My 2nd pally will be prot pve/ret pvp, going engineer/BS or JC not decided yet but am leaning twords JC. I was considering alch as well, but my main reason for it wasnt for what it would do for the toon so much as it would give me a 2nd xmute toon a day, especially in Cata and assuming a new tier of gems.

When I compare BS and Engi in rawr BS comes out ahead with 88 dps. After manually adding bomb damage (because rawr doesnt model them) from a saurfang log of mine that went down to 15 dps in favor of BS. Note that rawr also doesn't model the fact you can stack every other glove enchant use with wings which increases their potential dps value by 10%, or the increased value of bombs in temporary multitarget situations like the valkyr on LK, and ofc the extra dps time you can get with rocket boots.

Can anyone honestly justify gaining that 15 dps on the few tank and spank fights where there's no movement or no adds that need to die and losing out on every other fight? How many such fights do we have exactly, saurfang and festergut? I can understand people cba to reroll engi from BS but I don't think there's any fucking question at all that engi is the better profession from a dps and every other perspective relevant to ret.

Deleted

I only BG for fun, and my OS is prot as I said, but I dont really like playing it atm.. Been pala since wow release, so was pretty much forced to heal through the first long time :P So I'm not likely to go holy again. Only reason I want to keep my enchanting, is due to all the recipies I already got for that, and while not as good as JC, it still gives a boost to Retri, while mining does not.

Been intriqued by Engineering due to all the cool stuff you can do. But wouldnt take it if it was like miles behind BS.

EDIT: To above poster, as far as I remember Elitist jerks also states RAWR cant calculate Engineering correct? Or am I mistaken

15+ Year Old Account

i'd recommend engineering, BS is more of a pain to level and a lot less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Akando
    EDIT: To above poster, as far as I remember Elitist jerks also states RAWR cant calculate Engineering correct? Or am I mistaken
    Like I said, it doesn't model bomb damage or the potential extra dps from being in melee range more thanks to the boots. All the passive enchants are modeled though.

I'm running Inscription and JC which is pretty good. I could run a different prof over inscription but I CBA to level another Prof in its place. The shoulder enchant gives 80AP over the Sons of Hodir one and 42 extra strength from JC. So I get 164AP before talents extra.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Akando
    I only BG for fun, and my OS is prot as I said, but I dont really like playing it atm.. Been pala since wow release, so was pretty much forced to heal through the first long time :P So I'm not likely to go holy again. Only reason I want to keep my enchanting, is due to all the recipies I already got for that, and while not as good as JC, it still gives a boost to Retri, while mining does not.

Been intriqued by Engineering due to all the cool stuff you can do. But wouldnt take it if it was like miles behind BS.

Ah missed the OS part on your OP completely. Engineering works well with both specs so its a solid choice and as said, offers a bit of fun to it as well. Your not talking about a great difference in DPS between the different professions for it to matter ALOT, unless your hell bent on min/maxing it to that extent.

My suggestion would be engineering then.

Is it a good option to have ENG + BS?

I just don't want to lvl JC

Quote Originally Posted by Crothor
    Is it a good option to have ENG + BS?

I just don't want to lvl JC
    Most of the top professions will be close to each other in what they offer, close enough that unless your min/maxing it wont matter terribly. It also matters on spec, ENG is good for ret/prot but I wouldnt say so much for holy.

I would prob pick up JC over BS unless you have another JC because its such a useful profession... that said, in cata it seems that all professions are getting something in the form of reforging, in which I would say BS may be worth it more then JC though dont quote me on that just yet. :P

Personally, i like Jewelcrafting and Alchemy. Together they are a huge moneymaker, and give great raid enhancements and perks. To me, a chump who needs money and is lazy enough to pick professions to do so it is a perfect combo.

JC = 34str (x3 gems)
    Alch = 2hr flasks, 180ap flasks

and again.. money money money.