Should I consider upgrading my PC?

I recently was wondering if I should consider upgrading my PC. My specs are:

Graphics Card: NVidia Geforce 7800 GTX 256 MB

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+

Ram: 4GB DDR2

Hard Drive: 360 GB 7200 RPM

Power Supply: 400 Watt
    If it's red, it's dead, so therefore please save yourself the trouble of trying to run.

Re: Should I consider upgrading my PC?

Replacing it.

If you have the money (and the crave for newer games) you should definitely buy a new PC. However for WoW, I am sure that old config can provide decent performance (even on medium settings). I remember building a PC like that 4 years ago would cost a bloody fortune.

you only wanna upgrade your pc when it's not performing for you.Otherwise i would just stick whith it .If you absolutely cannot avoid it then defiantely you can upgrade it but the best way to go about it in my opinion would be to save and take advantage of special deals throughout the year like here in the US we have lots of comp sales on thanksgiving.

conclusion: if it's tanking in performance-> replace it , if not->keep it

I have an x2 6000, the rest is irrelevant, as the cpu is WoW's bottleneck in most systems. I'd like better fps, it can get a bit choppy in 25mans, but the situation isn't desperate yet. I just dropped a few bills on a BN nook instead of upgrading *shrug*

If you can afford it a new system core (cpu + mobo + possibly ram) would increase your performance. The i5 and Lynnfield i7 cpus would reuse your old ram, but ofc you'd need a new motherboard to go with it. The bloomfield i7s would require ddr3 ram as welll as a motherboard. Provided your power supply is adequate (wattage ratings mean little, brand name is more important), you could upgrade just the cpu & mb for a few hundred and see a huge performance boost.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by baelon
    The i5 and Lynnfield i7 cpus would reuse your old ram, but ofc you'd need a new motherboard to go with it. The bloomfield i7s would require ddr3 ram as welll as a motherboard.
    The i5 and Lynnfield i7 CPUs are also DDR3, rather than DDR2.

As walexia mentioned, you should upgrade your PC only if it is not performing well enough for you.

You haven't mentioned your budget. You also did not mention why you would want to upgrade it. What kind of performance are you looking for?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely