Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Wild Growth question

Ok this is my first lvl 60 druid since I deleted my old one years ago. I was just doing AV as a lvl 60 druid and noticed that when I was targeting an enemy player it wouldn't let me cast WG but it would let me cast every other healing spell. Is this normal? Ok to give an example of what I'm talking about, its acting like how penance & holy shock work as both a defensive (healing) and offensive (dmg dealing) spell where the defensive part has 1 yard range and the offensive has a much shorter. I have the enemy targeted and and its redded out like they are too far away to receive the heal but if I switch to a friendly player standing right next to the enemy (or myself) it shows they are within range to receive the heal.

Re: Wild Growth question

The way Wild Growth works is that it will sprout an aoe heal wherever you have a target. So basically, in a normal circumstance, it should cast the spell on yourself (assuming you have auto-self cast on). The only instance that you could cast a healing spell on an enemy would be that it comes back to you, such as trying to cast innervate on a boss but have it target you instead.

It might just be the mechanics of wild growth, and the way the spell's designed to work, so that you need a friendly target as the "seed" if you will and then have it target surrounding friendlies within 15 yards.

Wild Growth - "Heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 15 yards of the target for 686 over 7 sec."

Pay attention to the wording carefully. As is the case with many tooltips, this one can be misleading. The word "target" is literal: the target is your actual target (this can be annoying and confusing for a lot of druids). This means that if you have an enemy targeted, casting WG will cause it to attempt to heal 5 friendly players within range of that enemy. In its current form, WG does not recognize mouseover macros and it assumes anytime the spell is being cast that it is being cast on your current target. There is a work-around for this though if you wish to use WG with mouseover macros. (In fact, this is something I will add to the Resto Druid guide.)

/target [@mouseover, help]
    /cast Wild Growth
    /targetlasttarget

15+ Year Old Account

Ok more specifically if you're in TOL and have an enemy targeted it will say "invalid target" but if you're in caster form it actually will cast WG on you. Also if you target a friendly target that isn't in your party/raid it will cast WG on you in caster or TOL form. Its just while in TOL form that I see the "invalid target" when I try and cast it. Oh and I don't use moseover macros or anything like that. I use the standard UI to heal and the spells themself.

I'm not in game right now to test what you're seeing (and what I posted may be outdated and possibly fixed, though I doubt it). It sounds to me like you may need to do some more testing, because that's either a UI error or your tests may be incomplete or flawed. Your results make no sense.

15+ Year Old Account

OH you're preaching to the choir lol. I just don't get it because I'll be in TOL and getting attacked and can't cast it on myself unless I target myself or alt+cast but if I'm in caster form (because I faerie fired some rogue or was moonfire spamming someone) I can cast it no problems. It just makes absolutely no sense.

I've seen the same bug on ocassion, though mostly some time back. Normally healing spells will be cast on yourself with auto-self cast unless you have a friendly target, but Wild Growth seems slightly messed up in that respect. I'm not sure if it's connected with ToL though. It just seems random, but doesn't happen a lot to me lately.

I routinely tab-target an enemy to WG nearby friendlies. It's so convenient that I hope Blizz doesn't change the behavior, even though it's different from other spells.

Use grid and mouserover macro

I dont know if this was changed, but I remember healing back about a year ago, and I very often did WG on the boss or enemy targets to get to the melee... worked like charm every time.

ehhh .. use a healing addon? :P makes it easier ..and i know no need to tell me your love the default UI, its personal preference and totally fine but if thats the case then just focus a friendly target or click somewhere else to remove the enemy target ? ???

Mouse over macro works wonders for wild growth, I use grid and those macros for all of my spells and they all work fine
    80 Rogue / 80 Druid

Deleted

It's handy to use escape here so you can just WG yourself , if you have nothing cast it will self-cast

Quote Originally Posted by Poldara
    It's handy to use escape here so you can just WG yourself , if you have nothing cast it will self-cast
    You can find (change) this setting somewhere in interface options. I can't remember the exact name, but you can either choose to cast on self if no target, or to not self-cast when no target.

Or just ALT+wildgrowth -> will target yourself, if you have the ALT key for self-casting.
    Hope this helps.

Deleted

yeah something similar like , I have auto-selfcast on , so escape just does it for me , makes it handy when I'm blanketing the raid I'm always last in the healer group on grid so instead of missing a few mili-seconds to move my mouse from number 1 in grid to 25 I just escape and hotmyself and then number 24 while moving my house across :P

Quote Originally Posted by lostlight
    You can find (change) this setting somewhere in interface options. I can't remember the exact name, but you can either choose to cast on self if no target, or to not self-cast when no target.

Or just ALT+wildgrowth -> will target yourself, if you have the ALT key for self-casting.
    Hope this helps.
    Auto-Selfcast will cast the spell on yourself if you have no friendly target selected. Every other healing spell or buff works fine if you have an enemy targeted, only Wild Growth seems to have a bit of a problem there.

does "within 15 yards of the target" part have LOS issues ? like stairs etc.

me--->target[stairs]raid member
    {-------15 yards-------}

Wild Growth and similiar AoE heals ignore LoS when picking further targets. Also, if that was the problem you'd get "target not in line of sight", not "invalid target" (indicating that the spell attempts to target an enemy).

I just use VuhDo raid frames and set Wild Growth to Shift-Right Click. Done deal.

What your describing is in caster form it does one thing and tree of life it does another. What sounds like whats happening if your using mouse over macros, or any macro. Is that you did not change the TOL macro but you did on the caster bar. Remember that your bars change when you switch forms! It's a easy thing to do if you have the same icon.