Healing Dreamwalker as Disc

Had an odd experience this weekend. I was put in charge of dragon healing for Dreamwalker as a Disc priest.

Now this, on paper, should be pretty good. Disc has some very strong single target healing, or so I thought.

However, even with 28 stacks of the buff, things were really not going very well. I was basically spamming GHeal and using Penance whenever it was off of cooldown, but it was going very, very slowly. I don't think I quite hit 35K HPS.

We switched to a druid healer doing the dragon healing and his HPS was much higher much earlier. With fewer stacks he was flirting with 40K HPS, and he is not as well geared as I am (I don't think).

Am I doing something wrong, or are certain classes just not that well suited for Dreamwalker healing?

Re: Healing Dreamwalker as Disc

Priest is the worst class to heal Dreamwalker, so don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. Remember a lot of Disc 'heal' comes from PWS, which doesn't heal.

Holy does alright, but yeah Disc is pretty terrible

I was having some pretty major issues on this fight as my ICC 10 HM group is me (H Priest), a resto druid and a shadow priest w/ holy off-spec. We haven't been able to get it and it seems like the through put from our heals is simply too low though maybe its just us

I know Priests are lackluster on Valithria but should it really be "Yo dawg, I hear you like hard modes, so we put two priests in your 10M Valithria Hard Mode Group so you can hard mode while you hard mode" ?

Yea.. let the Paladin or Shaman heal the inside... Disc is great for staying outside and bubbling the raid. Shouldn't ever be going in the portals unless a healer dies.

If is absolutely required that you go into the portals.... you should get a Holy spec and talent into Faster Greater heals... also, use the Glyph of Guardian spirit and keep that up on Valithra every chance you can get.

Disc has better single target healing than Holy, but that's only because of the absorbs from PWS and DA both of which are utterly useless on Dreamwalker. This makes Discipline the worst spec to go into portals; however, Discipline does just fine outside the portals. If for whatever reason you do have to go in portals as Disc, make sure you have Divine Fury, otherwise, yeah, spamming GH between Penance CDs is about the best you can do. Renew is probably worth keeping up, but I'm too lazy to run the numbers; at the very least, though, you should pop a Renew right as you are about to enter the portal.

That said, Holy really is the superior spec on this fight, not only because it's better in the portals (though should still stay out unless the only other option is Disc), but because Guardian Spirit is borderline overpowered. Glyphed GS is worth roughly 10% more healing to all of your healers, which is just sick when you have a Paladin or two with a lot of stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesae
    I was having some pretty major issues on this fight as my ICC 10 HM group is me (H Priest), a resto druid and a shadow priest w/ holy off-spec. We haven't been able to get it and it seems like the through put from our heals is simply too low though maybe its just us

I know Priests are lackluster on Valithria but should it really be "Yo dawg, I hear you like hard modes, so we put two priests in your 10M Valithria Hard Mode Group so you can hard mode while you hard mode" ?
    I can't say it's impossible to win the VDW encounter in 10 Heroic without a holy pally, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to see my repair bill after a night of trying. I would certainly say that with no resto shaman or holy pally you are going to have a rough time with this one.

I don't know the minimum required HPS for the VDW fight in heroic 10 since she is constantly losing health throughout the encounter. If that wasn't the case you would need around 33,333 hps just to get her to full health within 6 minutes (40,000 to get there in 5 minutes). Since that doesn't take into account her losing health constantly plus any stray Lay Wastes that are cast you can imagine that your portal healers are going to need to average out close to 20k HPS each to finish in 6 minutes.

For portals: Druid > Paladin > Shaman > Holy Priest > Disc Priest.

Assuming 'normal' gear, that is. If you have a high SP set for a Paladin they're above Druid, but most Paladins don't use that type of set since Dreamwalker is the only fight it's worthwhile on. Also, since Paladin is the weakest class to keep out and Druid is the stronger, Paladin is usually sent.

Sorry, OP, but Dreamwalker really will humble you when comparing single target healing. Your absorbs make up about 15-20% of your single target healing usually, but DA/PW:S are meaningless here. On top of that even with absorbs included Shaman, Druid and Paladin all beat you single target. Without absorbs, Holy beats you as well. Sending a Druid in your place into portals is a very wise choice. Especially when you understand how HoTs interact with stacks.

Honestly, it's almost not worth being Disc at all for Dreamwalker. Your healing style isn't well suited to raid healing and your throughput isn't nearly high enough to boss heal. Go Holy for this fight, if you have the option.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

if your gonna heal dragon as priest then respec your holy for this boss to 27disc/44holy to get 15% intellect and 2 points in spirit/haste for single target holy healing, glyph flashheal too then its just flashheal x 3, greater heal then rinse and repeat while also popping PoM on tanks, i found it amazing and with 36k mana in holy spec i never went oom either and ended up 3rd on healing done, pally was first and a shammy was 2nd try it see what u think
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Deleted

Get the dispell Glyph that lets you dispell magic, with 3% hp being healed. Whenever someone gets a debuff on Valithria you dispell. Even if you don't stack the buff and stay outside, your healing ( can be ) immense, if some frost volleys goes off.

Notice - I don't know if this has been fixed :<

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    For portals: Druid > Paladin > Shaman > Holy Priest > Disc Priest.
    Honestly, it's almost not worth being Disc at all for Dreamwalker. Your healing style isn't well suited to raid healing and your throughput isn't nearly high enough to boss heal. Go Holy for this fight, if you have the option.
    Thanks for the input brother. However this last part just isn't true. Disc rocks for raid healing this fight.

For large amounts of regular damage, it's hard to beat Holy (like Blood Queen). However this is large amounts of irregular and unpredictable damage, Disc rocks. It's why I changed over in the first place.

jpwkeeper, it's unpredictable damage in fast bursts that is what Holy is good at responding to and controlling. It's really what the spec shines for. Shielding everyone isn't really what makes Disc "rock" on this fight. It can work, but then you're wasting more time doing that than you are at actually bringing people up for the damage coming through.

You put a Discipline Priest on the tank in 25 man, and on the boss (without portals) on heroic for the buffer zone to negate incoming damage. This is a fight where shield spam doesn't really lend itself to the encounter, at all.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    jpwkeeper, it's unpredictable damage in fast bursts that is what Holy is good at responding to and controlling. It's really what the spec shines for. Shielding everyone isn't really what makes Disc "rock" on this fight. It can work, but then you're wasting more time doing that than you are at actually bringing people up for the damage coming through.

You put a Discipline Priest on the tank in 25 man, and on the boss (without portals) on heroic for the buffer zone to negate incoming damage. This is a fight where shield spam doesn't really lend itself to the encounter, at all.
    I'll take the blame here as I led the topic astray, but let's not have this discussion here. The Holy vs. Disc debate is long and well documented elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by invader
    if your gonna heal dragon as priest then respec your holy for this boss to 27disc/44holy to get 15% intellect and 2 points in spirit/haste for single target holy healing, glyph flashheal too then its just flashheal x 3, greater heal then rinse and repeat while also popping PoM on tanks, i found it amazing and with 36k mana in holy spec i never went oom either and ended up 3rd on healing done, pally was first and a shammy was 2nd try it see what u think
    I have to comment just to say that this is bad advice. If you're healing the dragon, you will NOT have mana problems because the Vapors provide a stacking MP5 buff as well. If you were to make any changes for this fight in your spec as a Priest going in the portals, it would be to make sure you max out throughput talents at the expense of longevity (ie, 5/5 Empowered Healing, 0/2 SoL, etc.). The same goes for the Flash Heal glyph, which is even more useless on this fight than it usually is (which is still generally not worth having).

If you're not in the portal, you still shouldn't have mana problems because you ought to be able to get the cooldowns of the other healers (ie, innervate and mana tide) on command because they won't need them.