10+ Year Old Account

Legit wow file And stupid anti virus or actual virus? Help please!

Ok here is the story: I was sat browsing a web compic called cyanide and happieness, and facebook when suddenly windows (xp) told me that my avg anti virus was a virus.

Then avg popped up and said that this windows program was a virus :s but the windows program wouldn't give up and wouldn't let me close it so I turned my laptop off by the button.

When I turned it back on again, it started up as normal (to begin with) then all of a sudden after logging ontomy windows login a "copy right infrigment" thingpopped up and doesn't go away, it says there is a file on my computer that breaches copy right laws.

The name of said file is "BackgroundDownload.torrent" now I know at first glance I though oh torrent that is wired but I remembers I was told once that wow patches were downloaded via peer 2 peer (dunno if that's true or not)

anyway, I managed to log onto my brothers windows login (not a shared computer but he has a login anyway) and I used "start" "search" after searching for a while it found the file in the world of Warcraft program files folder :s it is 63kb big and was last modified on 8/12/2009 18:53 (dunno if that helps but it's worth a shot)

I was wondering if anyone else had this or can give me any information or tell me how to or if I should delete it or any information will be useful

thanks in advance, I am on my iPod touch ATM so sorry for poor spelling etc. I am just trying to get control of my computer back (I'm also hoping the copy right message that comes up isn't real) so yeah thanks and if you have any questions about it I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability

I have already posted this on the general forums, but I was told to post it again here for a better response
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Re: Legit wow file And stupid anti virus or actual virus? Help please!

Wow patches are downloaded via a torrenting mechanism, so I believe that file is genuine.
    It is possible that any torrents are being considered a breech of copyright since that is the most common use of them, but by no means the only.
    There are genuine uses of the mechanism for software or other content distribution, and someone is being short sighted to flag all torrents as illegal.

If you happen to have a program capable of torrenting, then open the file and check what exactly it is downloading, but it is my belief that would be one of the wow patches. That date of last modification being the date of the release of the 3.3.0 patch.

As for resolving the anti-virus alerts, then it is difficult to resolve something you cannot see yourself.
    If you have access to another computer, then download a fresh install of another anti-virus and try that.
    If it possible you have something that is showing up fake alerts to try and sell you/ get you do download an alternative product, potentially even one containing a keylogger/trojan itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Beautiful scamware that tries to scare you into paying a fee to avoid legal action. Google for the name of the program or any big phrases and I am sure there will be removal instructions.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    Beautiful scamware that tries to scare you into paying a fee to avoid legal action. Google for the name of the program or any big phrases and I am sure there will be removal instructions.
    This. It sounds like you're a victim of Facebook. That place is a hive of malware wrapped in pretty packages. A standard tactic is to identify your protection software as a virus to get you to eliminate it. The copyright thing is simply a scam to get you to give the malware author money, as chaud said.

Also, powering off a freshly infected computer is sometimes the worst thing you can do. Go through the keylogger sticky. That should help you remove pretty much any malware from your system. Keep those tools on hand. If it happens again, instead of just rebooting, boot into safe mode and run a scan. Safe mode will stop any malware from loading, as it loads only the files essential to starting the computer.