Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best/Worst PVP classes in Cata?

*This is just a matter of opinion type thread. We have an overview of the class changes, but things are bound to change*

So what do you think will be the best and worst PVP classes come Cataclysm. I don't really mean Arena more than Rated BGs... just overall.

Best: Warrior
    Gushing Wound sounds OP, and if Heroic Leap works (and actually makes it into the game) they will have a ridiculous amount of gap closers. Bonus Swing from Arms couldn't hurt either!

Worst: Shaman
    Shaman are getting no defensive cooldowns, burst is getting nerfed, and they are removing Cleansing Totem and our ability to cleanse Disease and Poison. Spiritwalker's Grace will be great for healing while running away from a fight... :'(

I'd like to hear other people's opinions about what things will be like at 85.

Re: Best/Worst PVP classes in Cata?

In BGs, mages and rogues will be able to control the entire tide of a game, while hunters will probably not be as good as they are now.

In arenas, warriors and rogues will probably be on top, with the changes to help them catch up to people and survive. Druids are probably going to be among the worst.

But, of course, no one knows anything.

I'd agree with Ormula.

Other than that, I don't care really, WoW's still going to be the same, unbalanced somehow.

True things always seem to be IMBA somehow... but usually whatever is best now will definitely not be the best later. IMO Ret pallys and Resto druids will get the biggest nerfs, as they seem to be out of control OP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Geex
    True things always seem to be IMBA somehow... but usually whatever is best now will definitely not be the best later. IMO Ret pallys and Resto druids will get the biggest nerfs, as they seem to be out of control OP right now.
    Wut

Quote Originally Posted by Geex
    Lol Ret pallies OP? what are you smoking? Maybe if your a fail dps or healer. Ret pallies are the one class that has no ability to kill a healer. And they are getting buffed since you can not read. Ret pally with an interrupt is gunna be OP, but they need one. Any healer can live with a ret pally on their ass all day. Warrior on the other hand can reduce healing my 75%, interrupt, and pull out the damage. Not to mention they have more stuns than a pally, and their stun does damage or gives then more rage. Learn classes before you say they are OP.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Legit
    Lol Ret pallies OP? what are you smoking? Maybe if your a fail dps or healer. Ret pallies are the one class that has no ability to kill a healer. And they are getting buffed since you can not read. Ret pally with an interrupt is gunna be OP, but they need one. Any healer can live with a ret pally on their ass all day. Warrior on the other hand can reduce healing my 75%, interrupt, and pull out the damage. Not to mention they have more stuns than a pally, and their stun does damage or gives then more rage. Learn classes before you say they are OP.
    They reduce your healing by 75% only if you're not paying attention, and intercept stun crits for like 400? Also having a 1 second stun and a 3 second stun every 25 secs is much less effect for getting kills than a 6 second hammer. Ret pallies should not be running without an ms effect assisting, like how warriors should not be running without dispel assist.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft
    They reduce your healing by 75% only if you're not paying attention, and intercept stun crits for like 400? Also having a 1 second stun and a 3 second stun every 25 secs is much less effect for getting kills than a 6 second hammer. Ret pallies should not be running without an ms effect assisting, like how warriors should not be running without dispel assist.
    UA is difficult to avoid if the warrior is on your nuts and you're a shaman or a holy paladin. Everytime a rend ticks, he gets taste for blood. You need to watch for the overpower, try to fake cast it. Then you have six seconds before the next taste for blood comes up to free cast. Except, oh wait, they can pummel you every 10 seconds as well as overpower you everytime you dodge. Sometimes, there just aren't enough seconds between a warrior eating your face open to avoid UA.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ormula
    UA is difficult to avoid if the warrior is on your nuts and you're a shaman or a holy paladin. Everytime a rend ticks, he gets taste for blood. You need to watch for the overpower, try to fake cast it. Then you have six seconds before the next taste for blood comes up to free cast. Except, oh wait, they can pummel you every 10 seconds as well as overpower you everytime you dodge. Sometimes, there just aren't enough seconds between a warrior eating your face open to avoid UA.
    The difficulty of avoiding UA is ultimately down to comps and the pressure between your two comps but it is something that the player has control of eating it or not.
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

My PVP toon now is a Resto Shaman 1308resil (mostly Relentless and Wrathful). A ret pally that gets on me is the only thing that seems to take me down in 2-3 GCDs. Basically if my trinket is down and I get HoJ, I'm dead before the stun wears off. I'm not claiming to be a pro PVPer by any means, but they just seem way OP to me.

On my priest, I can live with a ret pally on me all die. As a shammy you have quite a bit of ways of living against a ret pally. Earthbind totem, purge, ghostwolf(if justice wears off), and stoneclaw totem (absorbs 4k), nature swiftness if you really need it. And every other healer has ways to live against it also.

Pally - Bubble
    Druid - Barkskin
    Priest - Pain Suppression
    Shaman - Listed above

Also depending on what class you play, disarm a pally and he is out for 2.5 seconds and if judgement is on cooldown around 4 seconds. Not to mention pallies do not have a mana pool like ehn shamies do. 5-6k mana... thats nothing.

Lastly, wheresmywoflt, you never know when a warrior is going to overpower you. Because you could wait, see you dodged and he overpowers you, you heal, but rend ticks, over power again. It is too much to moniter warriors' overpowers. And 400 damage is 400 damage, it adds up... 3 min fight thats almost 6 intercepts so theres 2400 damage for not even trying. Not to mention the instant melee swing for around 1.5k. It all adds up, not saying its all at once.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Legit

Lastly, wheresmywoflt, you never know when a warrior is going to overpower you. Because you could wait, see you dodged and he overpowers you, you heal, but rend ticks, over power again. It is too much to moniter warriors' overpowers. And 400 damage is 400 damage, it adds up... 3 min fight thats almost 6 intercepts so theres 2400 damage for not even trying. Not to mention the instant melee swing for around 1.5k. It all adds up, not saying its all at once.
    The warriors can use it for 2 forms of pressure, one is simply damage, the other is healing reduction. It is true that it gets harder and harder to avoid as you fight higher rated teams, because you will see warriors saving OP for when they have 1.5-2 seconds before the next proc. Mods that watch your opponents buffs make it much easier to monitor.

I believe you can configure power auras to do that.

On the dodge note, yes that is very rng and outta the control of either you or the warrior.

This thread is clearly getting derailed. I didn't mean for this to turn into a thread about whats OP right now (theres a thousand of them already). We want to know what you think will be OP or garbage in Cataclysm.

But in response to Legit... I know what tools a Shaman has to kite a Ret pally, they just don't seem to work when I'm dead before a stun wears off.

So... you're able to tell every single change from a few class previews? There is a very large scope of some large changes in talent trees, including some talents effects becoming base, and new talents being included. It would be incredibly difficult to decide what will be OP using the very few snippets of information we have.
    RETH

As of the current Cata information, I think Hunters will be the weakest.
    Right now were great burst damage, but in Cata... Not so much.
    Well basically cast 2 shots then have to regen Focus. To regen that Focus faster well have to cast Steady Shot.
    You cant cast Steady Shot while moving, so well have to stand still.
    While were standing still a Melee will run up to us and start beating us up.
    But we wont have enough Focus to Deterrance or Disengage... So well sit there and wait a few seconds before we can do anything

hunters weakness will always be close range there the easiest thing to kill in arena right now (im a dk so DG ftw) so my thinking is

Rogues= op (like they ever weren't)
    hunters= up/worst

though i also think palis will be pretty op too (radiance is gonna be a pain)

wait till cata comes out. go pvp. find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Syatek
    As of the current Cata information, I think Hunters will be the weakest.
    Right now were great burst damage, but in Cata... Not so much.
    Well basically cast 2 shots then have to regen Focus. To regen that Focus faster well have to cast Steady Shot.
    You cant cast Steady Shot while moving, so well have to stand still.
    While were standing still a Melee will run up to us and start beating us up.
    But we wont have enough Focus to Deterrance or Disengage... So well sit there and wait a few seconds before we can do anything
    yeah god forbid you'd actually have to think for a change as hunter. with the amount of tools at your disposal as it is now and with the added stuff I'd say you need a large gulp of l2p if you can't cope with having to stand still every now and then to steady shot to in turn regen focus. Having all your shots instant beside that should be enough of a crutch to be honest.

MY predicition however is that shamans will remain bottom of the PvP food chain, where Ele and Enhance will rely on 2 things to stand a chance. 1) Having availability of other classes tools at all times (lockdowns, MS effects and so on) which is fine to a degree but still out of whack in comparison to what the majority of the other classes can manage without those group crutches...shamans and palas in the same boat there at the moment imo. 2) Outgearing opponents and thus getting quick gibs, but have doubts about the possibility of that considering the raised HP pools and so on, but I guess the outgearing issue will still be there more or less in the same way. My reasons for thinking that is the fact that they've taken no steps to deal with any of the problems shamans have in PvP, spirit walker's grace believe it or not is not it. Hoping that beta will bring some tweaking to the shamans planned cataclysm arsenal.

DKs will most likely reign quite hard unless they lose some of their planned stuff in the beta process. Then I guess the usual trio (rogue/mage/lock) will remain effective and hard to kill as ever before.

I will still be the best.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

i dont see why the shamans wouldnt be compatible on cataclysm, quite nice changes after all, so were defo not a garbage but prolly not the most OP either, shaman is pretty fine atm (in all POV's) in arenas, bgs and pve wise, i like it alot.