Frost, Viable spec even with bad gear?

Yeah just wondering if its the same as it was back in the time that Blood was heavily gear dependant while Unholy was more the spec to have when you had the bad gear.

With other words, I have around 5k GS on my DK (Just started playing on him again, been playing on my hunter since end of Ulduar ;P). And I was just wondering.. I did around about 7k dps today in VoA 25 as Unholy, would I do more as frost with the same gear (Not as good weapons though). Or would I just go down in Dps?

Re: Frost, Viable spec even with bad gear?

respec and see for yourself. but keep in mind that frost plays a lot different than unholy, so you might encounter a decrease in dps til you get it right with managing procs and all.
    Black is what darkness looks like.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

just play what u prefer, every DK spec is viable atm, untill u reach icc hard.

ATM frost does really good DPS in dual wield. The burst is insane, I'm on around 6k GS (like that matters), and got perfect itemization, and the howling blast crits (around .. 13-14k) in heroics is insane. Pugged ICC25 last week since I'm not raiding anymore and got some Howling Blasts off that crit for 19k!

ATM, Frost does have good burst AoE for heroics and so on, but Unholy is still stronger at supreme gear levels, especially on Saurfang for example (no howling blast usage there). On LK25 / 10, they are pretty close to eachother, but I suspect that Unholy is way ahead considering damage done to the LK himself and not the high DPS because of AoE on the adds.

Anyway, you would most likely do less DPS as frost, considering you need pretty good weapons aswell as play properly. Pestilence on frozen orbs as unholy = win, while in frost it's just howling blast on them.

As I described, your numbers would most likely go up, but your damage done to your main target would be less since your numbers are only AoE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I tried it out in ToC 25. And well yes, I had my dps decreased, but the play style is fun. So Im gonna stick to it anyway since it gives a meaningfull buff to the raid aswell. But I will probably do more dps when I master it better and get some better weapons from ICC soon perhaps.

Yes, Frost can be an insanely good DPS spec with simply the right talents and as long as you're hit / expertise cap'd. Slower weapons are nicer to have but fast ones work as well.

10+ Year Old Account

No, fast weapons do not work.

(There are some circumstances where they might work better than your slow level 70 green, but those things we do not talk about)

Which is better Unholy or DW Frost if you have a gs of 5.5k? ???

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Demes
    Which is better Unholy or DW Frost if you have a gs of 5.5k? ???
    Gear Score is not relevant. Gear Score is just a addon made for a quick look of your gear. Only you, yourself play the spec you want. Fun Spec > Boring Spec.

10+ Year Old Account

GS means exactly nothing. Link an armory, perhaps.

But, the answer will probably be: whichever you have the better weapon(s) for. The rest of the gear is pretty darn similar for both specs.

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    GS means exactly nothing. Link an armory, perhaps.

But, the answer will probably be: whichever you have the better weapon(s) for. The rest of the gear is pretty darn similar for both specs.
    This. Do you have two good, slow one handers? If so, frost is a really fun spec to play (just switched myself). However, if you only have fast one handed weapons your dps will not be great.

Until you become a personal armorey and have arent having problems with finding weapons spec to your gear for maximum output. Currently I believe 2 251 1handers is ~= to a 264 2hander. No reason to gimp yourself or the raid.