Shaman tanking blood princes..lots fo fun

Hello all. This is just a threat about shamans tanking the blood princes, mainly Kelseth (or however his name is spelt, the shadow dude). I have done it successfully and am looking for others to input to both learn how to do it better and for other shamans to give it a shot cos it really is quite fun :P

All of the guides that I have watched recommend a warlock tank or hunter tank for these guys. That's fair enough and how I did it with my other raid group but in my current raid group we only have warlocks and a shaman (me). The warlocks don't have a stam set or high resiliance set so I stepped forwards after watching a few quick vids on youtube and respecced ele, doned my pvp gear (1.1k resilience and 38k health buffed) and tried.

After 2 wipes I got the hang of holding agro and keeping minimum of 5 orbs on myself, 2 more than required when Kel gets empowered (so I can pew pew a bit more to get more threat when needed, and a safety net if one runs out/dies somehow or stolen by an AoE happy pally tank).

Now I was wondering has any other shamans here done this as well and if they have any advice to give me? We downed them on 10 man for the first time today using this method and I feel happy with it, but just would like a little outside insight so to speak.

I usually shock the purple clouds, FS/LvB/LB and then frost shock Kel till another comes out, always throwing frost shock on him when possible for extra threat and doing EM for more 'burst threat' when needed (usually when he empowers and our DK goes nuts on him).

I try to position him near my wrath totem for fire nova also when I'm on the move to get another orb out of reach but sometimes I still loose agro and someone eats an empowered bolt. Any advice here on locking down the threat would be great, I dont like killing fellow raiders.

Re: Shaman tanking blood princes..lots fo fun

as fun as it probably was, one tank tanking the two melee guys and the other tank tanking those is a lot more effective.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

I have never done it on a shaman, but my guild found 1 tank on the melee guys and 1 on the caster is MUCH easier.

I am a bear and I usually tank the caster guy.... Aggro is never an issue cuz I have my rogue and hunter MD/tricks me whenever they get on Keleseth. I also try keeping a 5-stack of lacerate on the guy.

If it's working for you, that's cool. I would say dont worryt about having 5 on you unless he is empowered. 3 should be fine I think if you have a healer on you.

Another nice threat bonus is if you have a hunter, make them MD to you and throw a Kill Shot on the Caster right at the start. He has 1 health so the hunter can transfer a full kill whot to you wshich si pretty nice.

If you really insist on tanking him, you should worry less about getting 5-7 clouds on you and spend more time casting at him as much as u can. That is' if your healers arent having trouble keeping you up.

yeah more than likely right saying a OT can take him, we had our MT take the 2 other guys and our 2nd tank (both pallies) bouncing around taking care of the kinetic bombs. far from optimal I know but it works for us.

Having a hunter in the raid or a rogue would be great but sadly we do not have that luxury and I've got to grab the agro myself, good call on teh kill shot though, defiantly use that next time for 25 man or when we get a hunter in the group. ;D

Any caster who happens to be the only one with a stam/pvp set is servicable, really. There is nothing that i can see to recommend a shaman over any other caster - they have no active defensive cooldowns or self heals, like a lock does.

I'm sure it is fun to tank something on your shaman - one of my fondest memories is tanking RFK on my enh shaman in vanilla. I was all like, in yr instance, tankin' yr boars.

That said, we find a bear (me) tanking the two melee bosses and a pally collecting orbs much easier and faster than 3 tanking it.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

yeah i had the health stone, battle masters trinket and did some self healing when it got a tad rough cos of missed kinetic bombs and out of range/los of the healers, went well all teh same, also grounding totem is great for when your down an orb and need a few extra seconds

The reason why hunters/locks are preferred (if you're going with a dps) isn't so much the survival as the threat. I do have to agree though with the general consensus - we use a DK tank for keleseth and it does feel a lot more solid as a healer.

I have tried to tank in on my DK in full unholy pvp spec with tank gear (~50k health)

AMS, AMZ, bone shield and IBF plus trinkets i can take like 3 of those without any orbs.

I must say that shamans can't be very good at tanking keleseth.

Why? You damage the orbs so much trying to get aggro they aren't up that much.

Imo mages, any tank class, or hunters are really just the best. Or a warlock with good resistances/talents